Southern, Savannah State and #1 F$U visit

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So as long as we play well (2 or less errors in the series), get solid pitching with high strike %, are patient at the plate and make smart base running decisions this weekend, I'll be satisfied.

I agree. I want us to play solid fundamental baseball. If we do, we will have a chance in at least 2 games (just my personal guess)....not that we'll win 2, but 2 games will be close.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No errors by GT and one by FSU. It's how you play the game .......

Heddinger is starting off really well. He has the potential but has had a lot of rocky outings. No hits for FSU through 3.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clay walked three and hit one in the seventh. F,ing DP to end the inning. GT 5-3 going into bottom of 7th.

FSU had bases loaded with one out and after the third walk didn't score. This game can make you old.

I bet that Clay doesn't come out for the eighth.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Phew! That was close.. A win is a win! One more tomorrow, please. Great team effort. I think our starting pitching will only get stronger Saturday and Sunday. Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wasn't easy, FSU got a lead off double in the eighth and a leadoff single in the ninth and didn't score.

Dusty came in and threw 30 strikes in 39 pitches. That's what you do - make them hit the ball and trust the fielders.

Which team left more on base?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wow, what a fabulous win. We scratched out those runs (was a ball hit out of the infield in the 1st before we loaded the bases?) and then I couldn't watch because I knew we would just be holding on for dear life. But I followed on Gametracker and then back in to watch the 9th inning.

Now, worry-wart that I am , I worry because Clay and Isaacs won't be available again until Sunday's game. It would be SO sweet to win this series!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stinger,

Am I high on the Kool-Aid, or is this a much more balanced and better team than we have seen in the last few years? I know we aren't ranked as high, but the fundamentals seem to be much better (patience at the plate, pitchers throwing strikes, aggressive fielding ....... )

You know the team better than most.

BTW, with Pitts loss we are in sole possession of #6 in the ACC.

No press for our team ..... talk about NCState and others but not us yesterday. http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com...CollegeBaseballDaily+(College+Baseball+Daily)

F'em, just win. That's what counts.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm not Stinger, but I do know this...in year's past, we seemed to rely on out-scoring the other guys...we had great offensive teams, and maybe one stud pitcher, but after that, we were winning games 10-8. That doesn't work against the good teams, or in the post-season, where good pitching beats good hitting. Hence, I agree this team has better ingredients for a post-season run. I go into most every game thinking we have a shot at winning, no matter who it is. (Trouble is, our offense is weak, and hence we also have a shot at losing most any game. We were very lucky to get 5 runs out of our offense last night!)

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
MWBATL,

Gorst was unused last night and will be available for today's game. He's arguably as good as Clay. Gorst and Shelton will pitch from the 'pen, I think. Stanton should go longer than 5 innings, hopefully..

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was anyone else wondering why Hall didn't pull Clay in the 7th? Seems after two walks and a hit batter with the bases loaded we would have seen someone else. As is Clay walked over a run and got a double play. So didn't turn out bad. (I couldn't see the game and WREK was down so I just checked the GameTracker to catch up.)

Agree we were fortunate to get 5 runs. The FSU pitcher settled down and pitched about 119 pitches....... wow.

Thanks for the thoughts. {I asked Stinger since he personally knew some players on the team and has been {rightly} critical of our teams in the past. He used to comment more on GTSports.}

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That 7th inning was probably where the game was won. Our stud reliever was off his game and the had scored to close to 5-3 and had the bases loaded with only one out. I am guessing Hall stuck with Clay because he felt he was the best he had, even if he was wild. It worked out as we got a DP and got out of the inning, but just think how different the 8th and 9th would have been in a one run game! As it was FSU had to play for 2 runs, not 1, in the 8th and 9th and that stopped them form sacrificing the lead-off double in the 8th over to third base, or the lead off single in the 9th over.

I was surprised, but I was too busy praying at that point. I actually did NOT want Isaacs at that stage, as he has been a bit shaky in many of his recent appearances. Swarm is right about Gorst and Shelton...we have depth like we haven't in....forever? Gorst has a superb 0.157 Batting Average Against, BUT he has 14 walks in 14 innings, which is why I would not put him in Clay's class yet (last night's wildness notwithstanding).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'd feel more confident if we had scored one of the guys we got to 3rd wih less than 3 outs

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, Stanton gives up two lead off hits, then 3 outs.

Yesterday we stranded 3 and FSU stranded 9. That has to mess with their minds a bit. But they are one of the best in the country for a good reason.

Wow ......... GT 1-0 with no outs. Spingola scored from first when Hyde got a double. :)(y);)