Southern, Savannah State and #1 F$U visit

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Southern has a better RPI too. They are #33, we are #57. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

They may have a better RPI; but we are abusing them like we should. Our team has gotten a lot better in the last month. The RPI is for the whole year and we really really sucked to start the year.

8-1. With a couple more hits after they brought in their fourth pitcher.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
They may have a better RPI; but we are abusing them like we should. Our team has gotten a lot better in the last month. The RPI is for the whole year and we really really sucked to start the year.

8-1. With a couple more hits after they brought in their fourth pitcher.

I made a mistake. I was looking at Mercer's RPI. My bad!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Savannah State has a 280 RPI. We should get some good work in.

Four pitchers for us tonight. Parr was pretty good with lots of strikes - 9 SOs. Had his slider going. Shelton, Phillips and Schniederjans got an inning each. Phillips and Schniederjans only had 4 and 2 innings pitched before tonight and didn't give up any runs.

Important forecast: 75, 78 and 79 are highs for Friday, Saturday and Sunday with no rain.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nice win last night, against a decent team who, we lost to on the road early in the year (by 1 run).

Tonight our staff should get some good work in, and we should score a relatively easy win as well, as someone pointed out Savannah State has a poor RPI and is not a strong program (12-21).

The FSU series is looking huge. We MUST win 1 game to keep our hopes alive. 2 wins would be enormous. Getting swept would be disastrous.

I really would enjoy seeing this team make the NCAA Tournament, because this team, once in, has the capability of surprising some people. As Parr comes along nicely, he gives us a reliable 4th starter, which is huge for the Regionals. I still don't see being able to beat someone with a dominant starter in the Super-Regionals but I am getting way far ahead of myself. Let's just play good baseball this weekend!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
@MWBATL, with Florida completing the sweep (first time since 1994) against rival F$U, They will be more determined to get/keep their #1 ranking, making this series even more important for both. Like you said, we need to at least win one of three games. Needless to say that winning more would be(e) a plus:)

GoJackets!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.........The FSU series is looking huge. We MUST win 1 game to keep our hopes alive. 2 wins would be enormous. Getting swept would be disastrous.

I really would enjoy seeing this team make the NCAA Tournament, because this team, once in, has the capability of surprising some people. As Parr comes along nicely, he gives us a reliable 4th starter, which is huge for the Regionals. I still don't see being able to beat someone with a dominant starter in the Super-Regionals but I am getting way far ahead of myself. Let's just play good baseball this weekend!

I agree it a big series for us. Really I see it as more of an opportunity to come to the fore front on the national stage.

If we play solid baseball (fielding, pitching, base running, hitting) like we have for the last month I think we will make the NCAAs regardless of what happens this weekend. By playing the way we did last weekend, winning 1-0 over the Duke ace we showed we could put it all together. I don't think FSU has a pitcher as good as the Duke one, but I also don't think we will be able to expect to hold FSU to less than 3 or 4 runs. They are a very good team.

But we just need to play good baseball and let things fall where they may. I think that every year we hear our pitchers say that they are trying to throw strikes and get the ball in play so the defense can get the out. This year I think the pitchers really believe what they are saying from the way they are pitching - just going after hitters and throwing strikes. Not trying to get too precise but trusting their stuff. That belief could be why we have so many young pitchers coming on and looking good.

So as long as we play well (2 or less errors in the series), get solid pitching with high strike %, are patient at the plate and make smart base running decisions this weekend, I'll be satisfied.