Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
More details coming at noon presser ...

Implications on us could be in Person and Richardson against whom we're currently recruiting. Color me totally shocked that AUB is involved in a scandal. Totally shocked. :yawn:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Adidas is the shoe company involved and there is an allegation that an exec from Adidas payed $100K to a family to get that prospect to commit to a certain Adidas school.
It would appear the only school that fits that is Louisville.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...es-hit-with-federal-fraud-corruption-charges/

This criminal lawsuit actually has a chance to maybe change some of the seedy underbelly of college basketball recruiting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This criminal lawsuit has a real opportunity to change some of the seedy underbelly of college basketball recruiting.

Bad timing from an optics standpoint since GT just signed with Adidas, but this activity occurred before GT signed with them.
also, L'ville may get caught up with this since it appears the likely benefactor of money changes hand was L'ville basketball.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...es-hit-with-federal-fraud-corruption-charges/

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Adidas is the shoe company involved and there is an allegation that an exec from Adidas payed $100K to a family to get that prospect to commit to a certain Adidas school.
It would appear the only school that fits that is Louisville.

This criminal lawsuit actually has a chance to maybe change some of the seedy underbelly of college basketball recruiting.

The conference at noon today should be telling...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Nike or UA played a role in this given Adidas meteoric comeback in recent years. No better way to hinder a competitor than to rat them out in a game you know everyone is playing. The shoe business at the high school and college level is dirty at times. If you read Shoe Dog, Phil Knight's memoir on starting Nike, it gives you a glimpse at the things shoe companies do to each other.

This is an interesting article. Moreso for the coaches that were left off or not even mentioned than who made the lists:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...high-major-coaches-who-dont-break-ncaa-rules/

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honestly, TMZ might be the best sports outlet out right now.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/26/adidas-louisville-fbi-bribery-ncaa-arrests/
As for the case against Chuck Person, the FBI says he collected about $91,500 in bribes in exchange for funneling Auburn players to a particular financial advisor and a high-end suit maker, Rashan Michel.

The FBI says Person would use a portion of the bribes to pay off the families of high-priority recruits.

In one part of the documents, the FBI says Chuck met with a player and counseled him about how players secretly get away with NCAA violations.

He allegedly told one player, "The most important part is that you ... don't say nothing to anybody ... don't share with your sisters, don't share with any of the teammates, that's very important 'cause this is a violation .... of rules. But this is how the NBA players get it done."

"They get early relationships, and they form partnerships, they form trust, you get to know [financial advisor], you get to know Rashan a lot and like Rashan can get you suits and stuff ... you'll start looking like an NBA ball player, that's what you are."

All I got to say for this uprise in AUB basketball is ...

It's been a loooong day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a loooong waaay from where we begaaaan
Oh, I'll tell you allll about it when I see you again
When I see you agaiiiiin

Oh, oh ohhhhh oh ...

Who on their roster was worth that?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Also, this came from the FB freaking I. None of that NCAA no-subpoena power, slap on the wrist nonsense. These charges likely gonna stick and will have teeth.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also, this came from the FB freaking I. None of that NCAA no-subpoena power, slap on the wrist nonsense. These charges likely gonna stick and will have teeth.

Oh man, the collateral damage to other schools that's going to come out of this. Keep in mind, this investigation started 3 years ago.

Get your popcorn ready...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For those who don't know, Emanuel "Book" Richardson is the primary guy credited with turning Arizona into a top 5 recruiting school outside of Sean Miller, especially in securing those recruits from the east coast and northeast.

This is from 1 year ago. "Silent but deadly" now takes on a whole new meaning.
Silent but deadly: Arizona assistant basketball coach 'Book' Richardson kills it on the recruiting trail
“Book has been with me as an assistant coach longer than anyone else,” [Sean] Miller said. “Book has been with me for a decade, so that is a long time, especially since I have only been a head coach for 13 [years]."
That approach seems to be working out for Miller and with Richardson in tow, the Wildcats' recruiting classes have been on the rise. Arizona will feature McDonald’s All-American Kobi Simmons, top-20 recruit Rawle Alkins and Finnish phenom Lauri Markannen this season.
He isn’t the man behind the curtain, necessarily, but his contributions to Arizona basketball have been instrumental in making the program a national power. Which is unique considering Richardson didn’t get his start in college basketball in the typical fashion.