Son of Tech Player playing for Team USA in hockey

northgajacket

Banned
Tomorrow at 5:30 the USA will play Switzerland in the Quarters of the World Juniors ( College Aged Players). A star on Team USA is Colin White who plays for Boston College and a Senators prospect is the son of Tech Hall of Famer Mark White. I don't know how many hockey fans are on this but I figured there would be some interested in knowing that a son of a former player is on Team USA.

northgajacket

Banned
Colin White, son of former football player Mark White, plays for gold tonight against Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships, should be a good game for any hockey fans out there.

8 pm, NHL Network

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Unbelievable game. I would not be surprised to see tonight's game settled in OT. Interesting how this year's US team is dominated by college players. In hockey, the developmental system of Junior Hockey is used and Canada's roster all come from the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL. In year's past, the US has used American players who play in those leagues, along with USHL and some college players. Looks like they are hoping the college players are the answer - just like it used to be in the Olympics!

northgajacket

Banned
Yeah the only players on USA in the CHL are Bracco (Kitchener) ,Parsons (London) and Jones (Portland) , Roslovic is the only pro in the AHL. This is the most amount of college players on team USA that I can remember. This team has done better then the last three teams in this tournament. I like how there is balanced scoring on this team.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I forgot in year's past there has also been a smattering of young AHL players too. Go USA!

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
We should go into Swarm Chat and have a 2 person chat during the game (TIC). I promise not to call for Motzko's dismissal before the end of the second period.

Every year my son and I talk about going when it's in North America. This year would have been drivable but we dropped the ball on it.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
USA wins gold in a shootout. Mark White's son scored the tying goal in the third period to send to OT. He was also a beast on the PK. No more goals after 20 minute OT and US wins in a 5 round shootout.

northgajacket

Banned
USA wins gold in a shootout. Mark White's son scored the tying goal in the third period to send to OT. He was also a beast on the PK. No more goals after 20 minute OT and US wins in a 5 round shootout.

Sorry, I was watching the game on delay, I can't believe it. What a Game!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely stunning. How bout those kids singing the national anthem at the end, arm in arm? If you missed that game, you missed a tremendous contest.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea there was a Tech son on the US side.

I used to follow the WJCs, CHL, AHL, etc. religiously back when we had the Thrashers (and the Knights before that) but my interest in hockey dried up when they moved to Winnipeg. Back in the 90s and 00s it was pretty normal for the US roster to be college-dominated. I guess things have shifted?

northgajacket

Banned
Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea there was a Tech son on the US side.

I used to follow the WJCs, CHL, AHL, etc. religiously back when we had the Thrashers (and the Knights before that) but my interest in hockey dried up when they moved to Winnipeg. Back in the 90s and 00s it was pretty normal for the US roster to be college-dominated. I guess things have shifted?

Yeah Colin White scored the tying goal, lately more players seemed to be going to the CHL (especially OHL), This team only had 3 in the CHL. One problem lately is players are leaving their college for the CHL.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, in fact USA Hockey received a bunch of criticism after they cut Alex DeBrincat, glad to see the redemption.

I heard that the other day. DeBrincat also leads the OHL in points, so he is no slouch. Shades of Herb Brooks when he put the 1980 Olympic team together and omitted some of the best players by saying he didn't want the best players but rather the right players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Right, in fact Motzko was an assistant under Brooks when he coached at St. Cloud State
That explains a lot. I am friends with a guy from the 1980 team. He also played for Brooks at Minnesota...lots of great stories. We talk hockey all the time and although Brooks was a hard ***, you always knew where you stood with him. Herbie also told the guys on the 80 team what their roles would be - i.e. you would play a major role or would barely see the ice - so totally up front and honest. In other words gave them the choice of whether to stay on the team or move on with their life. He seems like a straight shooter - much like CPJ.