Something for Collins and co. to consider

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
See:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com...-about-lamar-jackson-and-the-baltimore-ravens

Yep. The future of the NFL is tied up with people like Lamar Jackson and, though the article doesn't mention him, Derrick Henry.

Well, we don't have a QB as talented as Lamar (Paul wanted him soooooo bad, but no luck). What we do have is three nationally ranked 4 star duel-threat QBs in classes where we will probably have them back-to-back in years to come. If the staff develops them effectively and uses them correctly, then we can kill two birds with one stone: win football games and place QBs in the NFL.

I hope this will happen, but that'll depend on coaching decisions and, to a large extent, on the young men themselves.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims or Gleason seemingly give us our first chance at a pro QB prospect in a couple decades. Not sure we’ve even had anyone in the conversation this century

Joe Hamilton was drafted in the 7the round.

Tony Dungy said multiple times that Shawn Jones should have been drafted, and he definitely should have been given a chance at QB instead of getting moved to DB.

Outside of those two, GT QBs have been absent from NFL conversations for a long time. Hopefully this staff can start a line of QBs to the NFL.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

Tony Dungy said multiple times that Shawn Jones should have been drafted, and he definitely should have been given a chance at QB instead of getting moved to DB.

Outside of those two, GT QBs have been absent from NFL conversations for a long time. Hopefully this staff can start a line of QBs to the NFL.
It all comes down to how well Dave Patenaude can improve their skills. Its yet to be seen but we'll know soon

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Did Godsey play in the NFL?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Tom Luginbill heaped some heavy praise on Jeff Sims recently on the Packer and Durham show on the ACC Network. You can listen to it here around the 1:30 mark. When asked about players that really impressed during the all-star games, he says, "The [player] that really just jumps out to me... and it's really one. Is quarterback Jeff Sims." He got to observe all of those guys for 3 hours a day during that Under Armour All-American week, and he said Sims was "lights out" throughout the entire week of practices and looked great in the game. He thinks Sims could be the catalyst for transforming the program.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow

Joe was drafted in 2000 and last played for us in 1999. 20 years ago. Aka 2 decades.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tom Luginbill heaped some heavy praise on Jeff Sims recently on the Packer and Durham show on the ACC Network. You can listen to it here around the 1:30 mark. When asked about players that really impressed during the all-star games, he says, "The [player] that really just jumps out to me... and it's really one. Is quarterback Jeff Sims." He got to observe all of those guys for 3 hours a day during that Under Armour All-American week, and he said Sims was "lights out" throughout the entire week of practices and looked great in the game. He thinks Sims could be the catalyst for transforming the program.
Well, that is the kiss of death.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Joe was drafted in 2000 and last played for us in 1999. 20 years ago. Aka 2 decades.

Hence the "for a long time".

It's crazy, because GT had Donnie Davis the #2 overall QB and #1 Dual Threat QB in the nation, and he who shall not be named completely wasted him. Davis was Deshaun Watson before Deshaun Watson. When Davis finally got to play under Friedgen (who he signed up for), he had a pretty good season considering he had to play a year at WR in a different offense. What could have been with Friedgen and Davis for 4 years.

Gailey also had Sean Renfree committed before getting fired and Renfree went to Duke because he obviously was not going to fit in CPJ's offense. Renfree would have had Demaryius Thomas and DJ Donley to throw in addition to several other WRs that were gifted, TE Colin Peek who had a great career at 'Bama but transferred, and of course Dwyer at RB. Renfree ended up having a decent backup career in the NFL.

Gailey of course recruited Nesbitt, but I think Nesbitt would have eventually moved to DB and given way to Renfree. Gailey ended up signing Nesbitt at DB when he coached the Bills. Nesbitt was a high level safety in High School and Tony Barnhart once commented that Nesbitt was one of the best DBs he got to see on the HS level.

One thing is for sure, GT does well with dual threat QBs...and has been destination for top level dual threats (don't forget Quincy Carter was signed with us before opting for pro baseball then going to UGA).

Lot of "what ifs" involved. Would have been interesting to see who GT could have signed had CPJ did not come here as GA experienced an explosion of talented QBs during CPJ's tenure, but none of the QBs wanted to play in in the flex option.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

It's crazy, because GT had Donnie Davis the #2 overall QB and #1 Dual Threat QB in the nation, and he who shall not be named completely wasted him. Davis was Deshaun Watson before Deshaun Watson. When Davis finally got to play under Friedgen (who he signed up for), he had a pretty good season considering he had to play a year at WR in a different offense. What could have been with Friedgen and Davis for 4 years.

Gailey also had Sean Renfree committed before getting fired and Renfree went to Duke because he obviously was not going to fit in CPJ's offense. Renfree would have had Demaryius Thomas and DJ Donley to throw in addition to several other WRs that were gifted, TE Colin Peek who had a great career at 'Bama but transferred, and of course Dwyer at RB. Renfree ended up having a decent backup career in the NFL.

Gailey of course recruited Nesbitt, but I think Nesbitt would have eventually moved to DB and given way to Renfree. Gailey ended up signing Nesbitt at DB when he coached the Bills. Nesbitt was a high level safety in High School and Tony Barnhart once commented that Nesbitt was one of the best DBs he got to see on the HS level.

One thing is for sure, GT does well with dual threat QBs...and has been destination for top level dual threats (don't forget Quincy Carter was signed with us before opting for pro baseball then going to UGA).

Lot of "what ifs" involved. Would have been interesting to see who GT could have signed had CPJ did not come here as GA experienced an explosion of talented QBs during CPJ's tenure, but none of the QBs wanted to play in in the flex option.

Good post. If we had a competent AD at the time, he would have forced Gailey to hire a quality OC instead of firing Gailey. We had the money to do so. Homer forced Lewis to hire O'Leary, so there was precedent. Calvin Johnson was can't miss as a pro, and then there was Bay Bay. Recruits would have seen us as WR U, which would have attracted QBs. Instead, we paid top 15 money to hire a triple option coach and the recruiting momentum Calvin and Bay Bay would have given us was lost.

As you say, it would have been interesting.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good post. If we had a competent AD at the time, he would have forced Gailey to hire a quality OC instead of firing Gailey. We had the money to do so. Homer forced Lewis to hire O'Leary, so there was precedent. Calvin Johnson was can't miss as a pro, and then there was Bay Bay. Recruits would have seen us as WR U, which would have attracted QBs. Instead, we paid top 15 money to hire a triple option coach and the recruiting momentum Calvin and Bay Bay would have given us was lost.

I hope tstan is competent enough to be sure collins has enough resources to get a quality - end of 20 is decesion time for Pnut. He could surprise

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Tthanks brought back some memories

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I don’t straight up disagree, but it’s an interesting hot take considering how successful CPJ was with the AD who made the hire. I do agree, it would be interesting to see what would have happened with the roster we had coming in ‘08 ‘09 with galley + good oc + tenuta. Interesting timeline indeed.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hope tstan is competent enough to be sure collins has enough resources to get a quality - end of 20 is decesion time for Pnut. He could surprise
Help me understand this. We are willing to give Collins seven years to beat back the locusts and win, based primarily on the roster and scheme he inherited. Yet we say the defensive coach gets two years max and he is out of here. Same roster and scheme rationale. As much as I admired Johnson and his scheme, defensively I felt any time we kept the opposition from burning Atlanta was a victory. So why so little tolerance now? Shouldn't he have time to get his recruits, too? (And I ask this as a flaming skeptic of almost all the excuses Collins has thrown out. In fact, I believe he did blame Johnson for burning Atlanta.)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Help me understand this. We are willing to give Collins seven years to beat back the locusts and win, based primarily on the roster and scheme he inherited. Yet we say the defensive coach gets two years max and he is out of here. Same roster and scheme rationale. As much as I admired Johnson and his scheme, defensively I felt any time we kept the opposition from burning Atlanta was a victory. So why so little tolerance now? Shouldn't he have time to get his recruits, too? (And I ask this as a flaming skeptic of almost all the excuses Collins has thrown out. In fact, I believe he did blame Johnson for burning Atlanta.)

Haven't seen anyone say anything about the defensive coach. I think everyone likes Thacker and recognizes he needs bigger and better players. He was talking about the OC.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

Well stated and very true. But, a lot of Tech folks said the TO would give us the best chance to be competitive ( BS )! Tech entered the dark ages where most thought f the TO as an amusing sideshow and PJ as a medicine show salesman!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen anyone say anything about the defensive coach. I think everyone likes Thacker and recognizes he needs bigger and better players. He was talking about the OC.
I like Thacker matter of fact I like all the. Assistant coaches still watching P'nut would not be fair to judge him on last year but I need to see Improvement this year with him.