Someone in media thinks GT will win the division

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think Clemson will beat FSU this year and win the ACC. Any FSU fan that wants to PM me and give me 50:1 odds can do so.

We should be a lot better than 5th or 6th in Coastal. But we have to show it on the field. We have hashed out the predicted Coastal standings, but the odds that are implied by these rankings show the underlying silliness of it all.

I agree we should do much better since coach has had time to get things the way he needs them. So far he has done that with no real embarrassment ( save MTSU loss) and with class. .

Worst case
If 2014 preseason ranking which says we only 3 votes out of second to last is correct, what will the 2015 rankings say for the year we add ND and play FSU? After 2015 when we play these two on national TV we could be using the e word.

Best case - I love the way we are going ( new defense aggression and enthusiasm is spreading through out organization, recruiting is really stepping up in ga and expanding to other areas, coach hurt working on getting in to TEXAS) . If We get a few breaks and avoid injury and start rolling, we will be a force by end of year 9 or more wins.

Composite
Early we have Flashes of exceptional with An unexpected loss and then go on winning streak at end of year and play uga. Still hopeful for 2015. Picked 4 the and we waddle along into next year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You need 50:1 odds. Are you sure that you think Clemson will win?

Actually, I think the odds will come in about 2:1 for the game. (FSU of course) The game is at FSU and the third game for each. Each has a bye week ahead of the game. I really think Clemson has an extremely solid program and FSU program / culture lacks long term discipline and will not be sharp. FSU "knows" they are God's gift to football and will win the NC again.

Both start with tough games - FSU has OK State (#9 pre season) and Clemson has UGAg (#13 pre-season). FSU is #3 and Clemson#11 (FSU is 8% more likely to beat an average team on a neutral field and throw in another 4 points or so for home field.) http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

Just my thoughts. As you will see from my posts, I am sure of nothing and like to express all games as a percentage chance of winning. I am sure I don't "know" but "think" Clemson will win. They are due. This game should decide the Atlantic division....... more so than Coastal where 4 or so teams have a legitimate shot.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, I think the odds will come in about 2:1 for the game. (FSU of course) The game is at FSU and the third game for each. Each has a bye week ahead of the game. I really think Clemson has an extremely solid program and FSU program / culture lacks long term discipline and will not be sharp. FSU "knows" they are God's gift to football and will win the NC again.

Both start with tough games - FSU has OK State (#9 pre season) and Clemson has UGAg (#13 pre-season). FSU is #3 and Clemson#11 (FSU is 8% more likely to beat an average team on a neutral field and throw in another 4 points or so for home field.) http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

Just my thoughts. As you will see from my posts, I am sure of nothing and like to express all games as a percentage chance of winning. I am sure I don't "know" but "think" Clemson will win. They are due. This game should decide the Atlantic division....... more so than Coastal where 4 or so teams have a legitimate shot.
Vegas already has odds for both games. FSU is 2 TD favorite over both.

My post was a comment on your 50:1 line. It just doesn't sound like you think Clemson wins. :) (Better than 50% chance.)

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
These media types never learn their lesson do they? If you just look at all the turnover at QB in the ACC, That would show you that GT has a legitimate shot at battling for the division. Nobody in the coastal is scary this year. Id vote us 2nd or 3rd shearly on that alone. I know we lost some great players, but if anybody can plug a player in at any position and get ALMOST the same output, if not better... Its GT. I say to the teams on our schedule this year... "Come and get some!!!"

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I love them putting us at 5th. The guys seem to really have a chip on the shoulder/want to prove someone wrong attitude this offseason and this just fuels the fire.

Lets be real for a moment here....I like Cutcliffe, he seems like a good guy and he's a pretty good coach, but Duke will return to Duke this year...6 maybe 7 wins at most...the schedule favored them so much last year and all the bounces fell their way in route to their good season...the games against GT and FSU proved Duke was still a pretender.

It's going to be GT and Miami this year for the coastal I believe. I think VT and UNC take a step back and aren't as good this year. If our offense can really start to a gel this year we got a real shot to do some damage...I think our D will be the best its been since pre-PJ era. Yes, 2008/2009 had some good talent on D but we still gave up a ton of points those years and had to outscore teams to win. This year I see us being a top 25 defense and if our Offense can start clicking we might sneak up and win 10 this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I love them putting us at 5th. The guys seem to really have a chip on the shoulder/want to prove someone wrong attitude this offseason and this just fuels the fire.

Lets be real for a moment here....I like Cutcliffe, he seems like a good guy and he's a pretty good coach, but Duke will return to Duke this year...6 maybe 7 wins at most...the schedule favored them so much last year and all the bounces fell their way in route to their good season...the games against GT and FSU proved Duke was still a pretender.

It's going to be GT and Miami this year for the coastal I believe. I think VT and UNC take a step back and aren't as good this year. If our offense can really start to a gel this year we got a real shot to do some damage...I think our D will be the best its been since pre-PJ era. Yes, 2008/2009 had some good talent on D but we still gave up a ton of points those years and had to outscore teams to win. This year I see us being a top 25 defense and if our Offense can start clicking we might sneak up and win 10 this year.

Or, here is another way to look at each of your points. Duke does not have to return to being Duke. They have two easy wins in their crossover opponents and the players and staff have renewed confidence.

Miami loses a lot of people and their great running back is trying to return from the kind of injury that a lot runners never quite return from. VPI has a coach that usually does not allow them to stay down long and they always seem to have a good defense. UNC is a pretender again for sure.

As for Tech, CPJ always manages to figure out how to put points on the board. Until Tech has a season that proves otherwise we should not expect an outlier season from this offense. The defense, in my opinion, will make or break the season. Will CTR continue the upward momentum of building this defense or is this a retooling year in preparation for future defensive excellence? Last year there were four games that Tech either could have won or been more competitive in if the defense had been slightly better.

I am leaning toward optimism for this season but I think defense will be the key.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
If we had lost to UNC last year we would have been fifth.

The ACC coastal is six mediocre teams and one horrid one.

Choosing 1-6 is a crapshoot.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Or, here is another way to look at each of your points. Duke does not have to return to being Duke. They have two easy wins in their crossover opponents and the players and staff have renewed confidence.

I agree with the premise - Duke has the easiest crossover schedule (or maybe VT) .

Now for my once-monthly Syracuse tangent... Do folks realize Syracuse went 4-4 in the ACC last year? It seems like folks think 56-0 against GT was indicative of their whole season. GT was 7 point favorites to win the game (at home), so the result was certainly a cluster for 'Cuse by any standard.

Duke is playing at Syracuse. Syracuse might be favored - it'll probably depend on injuries for both teams. Let's hope it doesn't matter who is favored for GT's sake. By way of the always accurate transitive property, if that's considered an easy win for Duke then that means the entire Coastal is an easy win for GT. I wish it were that easy.