Some more bball thoughts

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
1.How ironic that Tech-Fsu is still on the GTSwarm opening page.As it turns out ,Eric could have used that same headline from the first part of the season to describe our many close game and just left it there. .The game description would have been about the same also.
2.More irony--CG got a guy to the professional level---------of course it is in football with Cox
3.In all the analysis of MBob and his "decision", I wonder how much was based on the fact that we now have such a positive football situation and (seeming) future? With the residual good feelings from being #8 in country and a solid baseball team, maybe it gave him some wiggle room on the "AA program's success.
4. I just hate to be watching all these other teams playing in Dance AGAIN. Oddly ,watching them I think we were closer to being decent than I originally had.( the biggest difference is a SCORING guard preferably a scoring PG (see Cat barber/ncst).
btw-under those that got away--Quarterman almost got ANOTHER triple double last night.-and a soph- GRRRR!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not as big on the scoring PG as some. It can help but is not a be all end all. You do need a guard that can score off the dribble. Tadric should be that guy going forward but we'll see next year. Jorgy is actually deceptively good at getting into the lane, but he needs to add a pull up to his game, he is not big enough to go all the way to the whole, so he needs to have a 10 fter that's automatic. That will pull the D big out a step or two opening up space for a big to receive a pass if the defense does move up.
The difference between being a tourney team and not one can be incredibly small. We are not that close - but not horribly far either.
I think the good fb situation made it easier not to make a change in basketball - sort of the opposite of what I initially thought. We were not going to have the money to buyout both a FB and a BB coach. I think now we probably didn't have the money to buy out either - though the donors are likely to be more open to FB money than BB right now. With so much focus on the FB program the AD could get away with not doing anything with the BB program this year.

I don't think this team gets very good guard coaching - actually I think they get overcoached. Too much looking at the bench. With Jorgy and Heath both coming back i'm hoping they are given more freedom to make calls themselves. That alone will allow the team to play faster. It's not a shock to me that a year after bringing Cliff Warren on board MD's guards look loads better. He's the best guard coach I ever saw in person and GT got worse in a hurry after he left. I thought the big man coaching was not bad - it was limited due to neither Cox nor Mitchell having particularly good hands. Our guards didn't use screens properly all year, and the bigs did not set them as well as they should have - but man our guards were poor at using them.

Reality_check

Georgia Tech Fan
Give Jorgy a spring, summer and fall to work on his game/shot rather than rehabbing a acl, he will surprise ! Tadric and Travis will pick up the guard scoring next year in my opinion. I call them T-N-T! Q will improve in my opinion on his shot as ! Chris also should hit some 3's at a better rate next year and I guarantee josh is going to be in the gym shooting in the off season and will improve

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wondered what happened to Heath after the first half of the season...the guy looked REALLY good to start the year. Then MBob mentioned he was playing with an injury? For a while he was an assist machine and his Assist-TO ratio was incredible.

Hope both Jorgenson and Heath get back to 100% and Tadric finally finishes all those drives. Tadric gets to the hoop with ease, but the ball has a hard time going in the bucket. Gonna miss Cox though...hopefully Lammers can pick up the slack.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I wondered what happened to Heath after the first half of the season...the guy looked REALLY good to start the year. Then MBob mentioned he was playing with an injury? For a while he was an assist machine and his Assist-TO ratio was incredible.

Hope both Jorgenson and Heath get back to 100% and Tadric finally finishes all those drives. Tadric gets to the hoop with ease, but the ball has a hard time going in the bucket. Gonna miss Cox though...hopefully Lammers can pick up the slack.

and Nick Jacobs.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not as big on the scoring PG as some. It can help but is not a be all end all. You do need a guard that can score off the dribble. Tadric should be that guy going forward but we'll see next year. Jorgy is actually deceptively good at getting into the lane, but he needs to add a pull up to his game, he is not big enough to go all the way to the whole, so he needs to have a 10 fter that's automatic. That will pull the D big out a step or two opening up space for a big to receive a pass if the defense does move up.
The difference between being a tourney team and not one can be incredibly small. We are not that close - but not horribly far either.
I think the good fb situation made it easier not to make a change in basketball - sort of the opposite of what I initially thought. We were not going to have the money to buyout both a FB and a BB coach. I think now we probably didn't have the money to buy out either - though the donors are likely to be more open to FB money than BB right now. With so much focus on the FB program the AD could get away with not doing anything with the BB program this year.

I don't think this team gets very good guard coaching - actually I think they get overcoached. Too much looking at the bench. With Jorgy and Heath both coming back i'm hoping they are given more freedom to make calls themselves. That alone will allow the team to play faster. It's not a shock to me that a year after bringing Cliff Warren on board MD's guards look loads better. He's the best guard coach I ever saw in person and GT got worse in a hurry after he left. I thought the big man coaching was not bad - it was limited due to neither Cox nor Mitchell having particularly good hands. Our guards didn't use screens properly all year, and the bigs did not set them as well as they should have - but man our guards were poor at using them.
I think you hit on something that helps me understand why I was so frustrated with our spacing this year. Good observations.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@Peacone36 tell me a little more about yourself.
kaxzyxs3uh8z326ezees.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@Peacone36 tell me a little more about yourself.
@Peacone36 is not a real person. Three engineers at uga setup a bot to reply to Swarm posts and named it peacone in honor of the hybrid NC hydra-crop that's a cross between green peas and sweet corn and fertilized with waste water from the aqua-farm at Marshallberg. It's a rare breed.

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
@Peacone36 is not a real person. Three engineers at uga setup a bot to reply to Swarm posts and named it peacone in honor of the hybrid NC hydra-crop that's a cross between green peas and sweet corn and fertilized with waste water from the aqua-farm at Marshallberg. It's a rare breed.

I believed you until you said uga engineers programmed a bot. Not sure they can do that...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 18