Some interesting Quotes from Clemson DE

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has seen every conceivable way to line up and/or defend his offense. He'll have an answer for whatever they do. The real question is can his guys execute it. Hopefully this will tip their hand and give us time to rep the specific adjustments.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I never thought that the DL would play further behind the ball because I thought that would be like giving the dive more "room". Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I never thought that the DL would play further behind the ball because I thought that would be like giving the dive more "room". Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way.

Hoping it does this week.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
ND was lining up off the ball and it didn't work for them against Navy. Tuitt got blow off a couple times. I think it works if their tackles are very quick and can effectively crash the interior which was what Pitt was accomplishing, but then we had some success off tackle. At least that's what it looked like from my seat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
ND was lining up off the ball and it didn't work for them against Navy. Tuitt got blow off a couple times. I think it works if their tackles are very quick and can effectively crash the interior which was what Pitt was accomplishing, but then we had some success off tackle. At least that's what it looked like from my seat.

Yeah, I think a potential problem for us is that we practice stuff so that we can do it without thinking but then make the mistake of doing it without thinking. Our guards fired out for their scoop or cut blocks and fell on their faces because the DTs just stepped back and stepped over them. We ran a midline or follow and had the a-back and b-back, iirc, leading vad through a huge hole in the line just like thy play is drawn up but then didn't keep their heads up to see where the guys were that they were supposed to block. The LBs just stepped aside and let the RBs go through untouched and then converged to tackle Lee.

My point is that we should be able to counter and punish them for trying to be too clever, but we need to be smart about it.

ToddM

Yeah, I think a potential problem for us is that we practice stuff so that we can do it without thinking but then make the mistake of doing it without thinking. Our guards fired out for their scoop or cut blocks and fell on their faces because the DTs just stepped back and stepped over them. We ran a midline or follow and had the a-back and b-back, iirc, leading vad through a huge hole in the line just like thy play is drawn up but then didn't keep their heads up to see where the guys were that they were supposed to block. The LBs just stepped aside and let the RBs go through untouched and then converged to tackle Lee.

My point is that we should be able to counter and punish them for trying to be too clever, but we need to be smart about it.

I think that is the most spot on description when describing Techs blocking problems. It surprises me given the fact that this offense is essentially a thinking mans offense. Sometimes Tech blocks spots rather than people. That's not thinking on the fly.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Watching us ankle bite their tackles was one of the most frustrating things about the PITT game. I hate to keep going back to Navy, but those boys ran right at ND. Now you take what the defense gives you, and ND clearly looked like they were on their heels, but it was impressive watching those guys blowing off the line.