Some good things at Pitt

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I learned that we might as well be running theSingle-Wing with TM carrying the ball so many times.In fact we would be better of in SW, with time and blocking to throw.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about COACH,'s post game presser: He said same stuff (I gave them permission to do fake punt and ou rs all on me, but they should have Ron ok outside and he might have made it) but he was really upset we missed the short passes.
Coach is upset we are missing short passes! I take that as something se have worked on and something we will work on and see in the future!
3 years ago this board was calling for short passing game. At usf we hit some short ones. Come on TQM gives us the see, stop, pop passes.

Another thing on the last int when Camp stopped and TQM passed it long. (I think it was supposed to be a short pass) I used the word pass because it was thrown high and on line- so if camp had broken down field he would had real good shot at a catch. Last year balls like this were rifled way long or way off line..

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There were, in fact, several positives in the game.

• We were quite effective against the run. Except for Olison, they did next to nothing and we had multiple stops behind the LOS. This needs to continue and I think it will.

• We missed Kirvontae, but we had 320 yards rushing and our BBs combined for 176 yards. It would be nice to see Mason get 15 - 20 carries next time.

• The KOs and coverage were just fine.

• We had 22 first downs and passed the ball pretty well. Drops and missed routes - you guys know who you are - didn't help. The best thrown ball - and TaQuon was throwing well - can't help if the ball is dropped.

• We played football in the second half.

I share the view that this team is within striking distance of being a real good outfit. The main problem is still the D, but there are signs that we might be working out of that.

• Update: Malachi Carter. Full Stop.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There were, in fact, several positives in the game.

• We were quite effective against the run. Except for Olison, they did next to nothing and we had multiple stops behind the LOS. This needs to continue and I think it will.Ok I'll buy this
• We missed Kirvontae, but we had 320 yards rushing and our BBs combined for 176 yards. It would be nice to see Mason get 15 - 20 carries next time.

Sorry won't buy this is something CPJ would say so it would make him feel better about his offense.

• The KOs and coverage were just fine.

I'll buy this

• We had 22 first downs and passed the ball pretty well. Drops and missed routes - you guys know who you are - didn't help. The best thrown ball - and TaQuon was throwing well - can't help if the ball is dropped.

Again the first part sounds like CPJ again 22 first down doesn't mean much.

• We played football in the second half

Defense yes

I share the view that this team is within striking distance of being a real good outfit. The main problem is still the D, but there are signs that we might be working out of that.
real good ? I guess some have a different view what is real good if they could get to avg I would be happy. And I see more signs the defense will not be the problem , the offense will we are now going to play team that have a good defense .

• Update: Malachi Carter. Full Stop.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
One more nice thing, few though they were in yesterday's travesty: That onside kick -- not the coverage, but the kick itself -- at the end was outstanding. (OTOH, like everyone here I'd just as soon the team not be in the position where it has to onside kick.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One more nice thing, few though they were in yesterday's travesty: That onside kick -- not the coverage, but the kick itself -- at the end was outstanding. (OTOH, like everyone here I'd just as soon the team not be in the position where it has to onside kick.)
Not sure I agree as it was too deep (imo) .

Iirc
New rules stop gunners from crashing into the front guys on recieving team. No first guy makes a hole and second guy busts through. If it goes deep the front guys tackle the kicking team guys .

Kick was a good one based on ball action .

I could be wrong on rule??

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The kick itself was great. The big bounce..

I agree with ice, the problem with the onside kick was a defender basically tackling the gunner before he could get to the ball. Even the announcer made a comment. Go back and watch. Need to coach the kids not to allow the defender to grab. Slap their hands away like a baby if you have to. Not sure why this is not called more often, especially right in front of the play.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Jerry reminded me of another thing that was good at Pitt -- but is really commonplace at all gt games. It's the play of LG Parker Braun. He is a natural.

We really missed the physicality of the starting BB and RT guard who were out injured and did not make the trip...this team is fragile and struggles to make confident, quick adjustments..then I believe another OL left injured Marshall?...

it was impressive under that adversity for the OL to rally in the second half and make a game if it...the fake punt and the interception on the QB/WR miscommunication were devastating...but correctable.

This team is going to jump on someone ...when they get angry and play loose...I don't buy the lack of talent assertion...poise, confidence and tunnel vision is what is lacking...these deficiencies are prompting costly miscuses...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Another good thing

Some of the players (55 cooper, 80 camp and cab are now legally holding while run blocking. They grab , wrestle while maintaining good position. I assume we have some blocks that still will be drive blocks, but would love to see more legal holding their too. Good job!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
62 BI showed he can have some good plays at r t. On one long run play he blocked his man to the ground twice.

12 has as they say about a tackler that hits = when he hits you , you feel like his has "lead in his pants". Was very agile in tight quarters to 1. GET AROUND BLOCK . 2. GET IN HOLE. 3. HIT HARD AND WRAP UP.

In second half Ol fired off line as unit.

M Carter looks good as a catching WR especially in sure passing situation. Perhaps in those situations we could have 3 wr and 1 ab.

Defense line pushing hard and getting improved qb and run pressure WITHOUT stunting or twists. Gives hope we can dial up some pressure.
I know we got a holding call !!!

The young safeties/ stingers are doing good job on some of wide runs . 44 true freshman Jackson had a good play but after that, I did not see him.

I feel better.
Try it u will too.
Weather was nice

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about COACH,'s post game presser:
Another thing on the last int when Camp stopped and TQM passed it long. (I think it was supposed to be a short pass) I used the word pass because it was thrown high and on line- so if camp had broken down field he would had real good shot at a catch. Last year balls like this were rifled way long or way off line..

I was wondering if that was on Camp, or if TQM just sailed it by a mile.

Deleted member 2897

Here was a positive - Trey Braun said I'm tried of all this crap and took out his frustration on Pitt.

32WP8x.gif