So who's gonna play right tackle for us this year?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 128

Guys, normally I am SUPER critical of our pass block schemes. But come on. Chamberlain presnap is in an angled 2pt stance with the DE playing a 7tech. Not a wide 9 or some crazy blitzer off the corner. He just flat out took two steps to his right and let the DE go...turned him loose. Didn't even touch him.

Perkins has LB/S responsibility. The LB doesn't blitz...he either needs to help Laskey chip the other DE or go to the flats. This is on the play/scheme. Perkins did what he was taught. He wasn't taught to release or provide WDE support

Laskey 1 on 1 with a DE is also hard for me to fathom on the playside. Again, if Perkins helps I think its ok. But solo again is a tough thing to execute consistently...

But regardless of all that. Chamberlain flat out whiffed and it wasn't a scheme issue. The scheme gave him the right stance and alignment. If laskey gets a good cut this play is a non-issue.

Now, I can show many plays that to me are scheme issues in the passing game. But this one was not close to the biggest offender

I would say that Laskey's inability to control the left DE also effected the play, because it caused JT to stop. Had Laskey or Perkins atleast put up a decent fight, JT would have had the ability to "attack" the LOS (it helps them square their shoulders), which is fundamentally sound technique that QBs are taught to do when passing on the move. Like I said earlier, I think JT could have also helped by reading the defender out on the flat (the LB) and anticipated his read and released a bit sooner without stopping, or using his speed to run past the DE that beat Laskey and released once he was past him.

Basically it was 7 v 4 in pass protection, and we let 4 guys beat our 7. Obviously, Chamberlains poor technique to cut the angle and inability to cut off the R DE is the most glaring mistake, but there were a few other things that we could have done better to get the ball to the receiver that was pretty much wide open.

Who established this? Not sure this is accurate on all accounts. Sometimes scheme can outwit physical superiority.
Some guy named Paul Johnson said it after the Peach Bowl, then after the Orange Bowl, then after the Virginia Tech game, a couple of Clemson games, a few Georgia games, ahd two Miami games. I figured he knew what he was talking about.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some guy named Paul Johnson said it after the Peach Bowl, then after the Orange Bowl, then after the Virginia Tech game, a couple of Clemson games, a few Georgia games, ahd two Miami games. I figured he knew what he was talking about.
Yes and no. Imo, he meant if you can't beat the man infront of you, it doesn't matter what scheme you are running. I don't think he conceded you have to lose those battles just because somebody outweighs you or is a little faster. A small guy can very effectively block a bigger guy with a perfectly executed cut block. Just ask Robbie Godhigh. Actually, go ask all the guys he dumped on their arses.

Similarly, gaining favorable angles, numbers advantages and the use of deception have their place as well. Every offense in existance uses these two elements. That's all scheme and execution that relies little on physical superiority.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

I am not on the CPJ bandwagon by any means but I will tell you this much, those words never came out of his mouth. He was asked once what gave his defense problems and he said good players. I agree with you that I would love for us to have better players and talent usually gives you an upper hand. But you have to remember that scheme can give you an upper hand as well. I prefer we have both talent and scheme. WE have the scheme. But we need to up our recruiting results just a tad imo.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Johnson was quoted early in his tenure at Tech that (wtte) "Physical Superiority cancels all other theories". Which I think means no matter what scheme you run if the guy on the other side of the ball is a superior athlete, you are in trouble. It was said as a response to the pundits declarations that the main purpose of Paul's offense was to out scheme superior athletes because at the Academies you always have lesser talent. I think he was saying that at Tech the athlete was bigger and more athletic than those at the Academies and therefore he felt his offense would be even more successful because he would have athletes that were bigger and more athletic executing the plays. As you can see, the jury is still out.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Johnson was quoted early in his tenure at Tech that (wtte) "Physical Superiority cancels all other theories". Which I think means no matter what scheme you run if the guy on the other side of the ball is a superior athlete, you are in trouble. It was said as a response to the pundits declarations that the main purpose of Paul's offense was to out scheme superior athletes because at the Academies you always have lesser talent. I think he was saying that at Tech the athlete was bigger and more athletic than those at the Academies and therefore he felt his offense would be even more successful because he would have athletes that were bigger and more athletic executing the plays. As you can see, the jury is still out.

Go Jackets!
That theory doesn't work if you don't execute with the same speed and precision. The Academy guys trade superior athleticism for superior speed (of execution not foot speed) and precision. GT, for some unknown reason, can not duplicate Navy's speed of execution nor it's precision. Go figure.