So who's gonna play right tackle for us this year?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't need to see anymore of these:

(And Laskey better get better at blocking too.)

2013-10-0515_35_15.gif

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look, Chamberlain had a really tough go of it this season. He eventually lost a lot of playing time. The important thing for us, as a fan base, or a coaching staff for that matter, is to not slam the door on him. He needs to keep working. As long as he keeps working I'll keep rooting for him. With that said, I think it is up for grabs. Roberts stabilized things a little even though he was inexperienced. He has potential. I want a healthy Morgan Bailey back, but I am probably dreaming about that. I gonna be looking deeper into the OL in a couple days.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Am I being too much of an armchair QB saying JT shoulda stepped up into the pocket too? There was a lot of green in front of him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He should have kept rolling out. Maybe he needs to set his feet when he's throwing.

The only thing I noticed is if he would have kept rolling out, the LB released the receiver to the safety and there was a window for JT to throw the ball because the safety wasn't playing deep enough. Could have been a HUGE gain.

EDIT:

It was actually the MLB I thought was a safety. There was another defender over the top of the receiver, but he was chasing someone else. There was a window if JT could have lobbed the ball over the LB into the space the receiver was running to.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also, the defender on the receiver rotated his hips opposite of where the receiver was going right before JT stopped. As soon as the defender rotated his hips JT could have just released the ball on the run. Granted he still probably would have been clobbered on the backside, but he would have completed a big play. Better than getting clobbered and not making a play.

Those are the little nuances of playing QB that I don't think our guys are being coached up at.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Am I being too much of an armchair QB saying JT shoulda stepped up into the pocket too? There was a lot of green in front of him.
I think so. If he steps up, the DE just flies on by. On the other hand, the guy who sidestepped Laskey's cutblock attempt probably distracted JT to the point of him not "feeling" the heat on the backside.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
79 (who is that?) did a great job blocking his guy one v one.

Just noticed we had Perkins AND Laskey back in pass pro. Yikes.

I'd like to get this clip before the snap.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Of this play above, wouldn't a little dump off screen with Laskey, and the A-back OL pulling in front leading the way, be awesome? Let Laskey chip that guy, and now he's got 2 on 2 blocking ahead of him. Of course, JT has to be able to stay upright just long enough to get that off.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
JT did what he was supposed to do. Laskey and Chamberlain did not. Maybe Perkins was supposed to help on Laskey's guy too, but I'd have to check the pre-snap look.

This is "turn protection" and is practically designed to avoid plays like this. It's supposed to get the QB on the edge with a clear field of vision and away from the backside pressure.

It obviously doesn't work if 3 guys totally whiff.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT did what he was supposed to do. Laskey and Chamberlain did not. Maybe Perkins was supposed to help on Laskey's guy too, but I'd have to check the pre-snap look.

This is "turn protection" and is practically designed to avoid plays like this. It's supposed to get the QB on the edge with a clear field of vision and away from the backside pressure.

It obviously doesn't work if 3 guys totally whiff.
Thanks for clarifying that. My guess was the guy that Laskey missed prevented JT from continuing to roll left or from stepping up. JT did have his eyes glued to the wr breaking on the out route just as he was hit.

Second look at Perkins shows he blocked, or attempted to block, nobody on that play, he just stood there in empty space. If he and Laskey wall off the defender on that side, JT can roll unimpeded to the left and have the run/pass option. He's plenty fast enough to render the backside pressure mute.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion this play's ineffectiveness is entirely on Laskey. Which is cause for concern as he takes over sole starting responsibility at B-Back presumably.

He gets the defender on the ground and JT keeps moving and either fires the ball downfield or gets a gain on the ground.