So, who starts next year...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The obvious positions are the entire defensive backfield.

CPJ has hinted that some of the guys redshirting may have a higher ceiling than the guys who are going out the door. Sounds like Dante Wigley (redshirt), Lamont Simmons (transfer), and Meiko Dotson are some talents at CB. Wigley and Simmons in particular are prototypical modern day DBs in terms of length and ability to support the run.

Barring injury, you can pretty much put AJ Gray's name in ink at safety.

I think the top 5 ABs next year will be Clinton Lynch, Nathan Cottrell (if he returns to full health), JJ Green, Qua Searcy, and Lynn Griffin. CPJ seems really high on Griffin, and you got to like what he's done with the limited prep he's had at AB...seeing as how he was a defensive back not too long ago. I can see MLD redshirting since there will be a glut at AB and BB...and because he probably should have redshirted this year.

QB will be interesting. CPJ has hinted that TaQuan Marshall is getting a look at QB, Byerly is back, Jordan is back, and Campbell's position is probably not at QB. If Byerly is granted another season, you have to think Jordan is another AB or moves to WR, which CPJ has talked about before.

I expect a LOT of movement on the OL. Haven't really heard much about the guys redshirting like we did with Klock and Whitley when they were "non varsity".

I think the DL rotation pretty much remains the same post-Gotsis injury.

WR...will have Philpott and Howell coming off redshirts. Jeune will be a BEAST next year, and I think Philpott will have a big impact in our vertical game. It's a shame he was injured to start the year. I think Brad Stewart will be the next Michael Summers/Tyler Melton. Just a solid, all-around WR that does everything (blocking, running routes, etc) right. Will be hard to displace him at starter...CPJ always values those kinds of WRs.

Marcus Marshall is probably our starting BB. I think the talent redshirting at BB pushes Marcus Allen down the depth chart, which is a shame because I think he can be really good if he can just stay healthy.

Anyhow...just my thoughts.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

CPJ has hinted that some of the guys redshirting may have a higher ceiling than the guys who are going out the door. Sounds like Dante Wigley (redshirt), Lamont Simmons (transfer), and Meiko Dotson are some talents at CB. Wigley and Simmons in particular are prototypical modern day DBs in terms of length and ability to support the run.

I think the top 5 ABs next year will be Clinton Lynch, Nathan Cottrell (if he returns to full health), JJ Green, Qua Searcy, and Lynn Griffin. CPJ seems really high on Griffin, and you got to like what he's done with the limited prep he's had at AB...seeing as how he was a defensive back not too long ago. I can see MLD redshirting since there will be a glut at AB and BB...and because he probably should have redshirted this year.

QB will be interesting. CPJ has hinted that TaQuan Marshall is getting a look at QB, Byerly is back, Jordan is back, and Campbell's position is probably not at QB. If Byerly is granted another season, you have to think Jordan is another AB or moves to WR, which CPJ has talked about before.

I expect a LOT of movement on the OL. Haven't really heard much about the guys redshirting like we did with Klock and Whitley when they were "non varsity".

WR...will have Philpott and Howell coming off redshirts. Jeune will be a BEAST next year, and I think Philpott will have a big impact in our vertical game. It's a shame he was injured to start the year. I think Brad Stewart will be the next Michael Summers/Tyler Melton. Just a solid, all-around WR that does everything (blocking, running routes, etc) right. Will be hard to displace him at starter...CPJ always values those kinds of WRs.

Marcus Marshall is probably our starting BB. I think the talent redshirting at BB pushes Marcus Allen down the depth chart, which is a shame because I think he can be really good if he can just stay healthy.

Those guys better be special to beat out Durham, the Austins and Kagawa. We are loaded in the defensive backfield next year. Add in Gray. Those guys have their work cut out for them to see playing time.

As far as A back I think MLD will be harder to beat out than you think. He was our best blocker this year. Yes I know he could have been better but you know he will. And we haven't even gotten to see his running abilities because the guys opposite him could not block. He is special and I think it will show up in the spring game. Green will crack the rotation. Once again it's another area where we are loaded and will be better.

Truth is top to bottom next year we have depth. It's a deep roster.

The one hole is backup qb. I am surprised everyone is writing CC off. He is an incredible athlete and ran this system in high school . I think he is another spring surprise.

There is no reason we should not have a good season and I don't mean 7 and 5.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Could see Quaude or KiVonte making a move at Bback.
Watched Kirvonte play at Marietta. He is a true burner. It will be interesting to see him and Cottrell at A back.
Quaide is going have to find a home and have patience. He has some good potential at BBack but with Marshall, Allen and Leggett ahead of him it may be tough to break in. Allen will be a senior next year. I also hope to see him get some playing time. He has been a good team member doing whatever was aged of him

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If Allen is healthy he may be the man. CPJ specifically mentioned CJ, Quaude and KirVonte as Being in the Bback mix for next year.

KB could excel at A or B back. Powerful enough and definitely fast enough.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

I am hopeful that the addition of Philpott and Howell and Johnson's promise to improve pass protection will enable a stronger - though perhaps less frequent - vertical passing game. That, combined with more experience at the skill positions, will hopefully yield significant improvement for the offense. We'll see what Johnson has in mind for the defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Those guys better be special to beat out Durham, the Austins and Kagawa. We are loaded in the defensive backfield next year. Add in Gray. Those guys have their work cut out for them to see playing time.

As far as A back I think MLD will be harder to beat out than you think. He was our best blocker this year. Yes I know he could have been better but you know he will. And we haven't even gotten to see his running abilities because the guys opposite him could not block. He is special and I think it will show up in the spring game. Green will crack the rotation. Once again it's another area where we are loaded and will be better.

Truth is top to bottom next year we have depth. It's a deep roster.

The one hole is backup qb. I am surprised everyone is writing CC off. He is an incredible athlete and ran this system in high school . I think he is another spring surprise.

There is no reason we should not have a good season and I don't mean 7 and 5.

I agree...MLD was probably our best blocker. I'm just playing the odds with the glut of talent at AB and BB, and the fact that MLD can still redshirt to preserve eligibility, he may end up redshirting since we can get the same ability with the other guys. Not a slight on MLD, just a numbers situation.

Kagawa is a safety. Step Durham has yet to live up to his recruiting potential...was considered one of the top CBs in the Southeast, but was unable to unseat Milton who is not a natural CB. He still has time, but CPJ has made specific mention about how the guys redshirting (Wigly, Simmons, Dotson) are probably better than the guys leaving.

Christian Campbell...you may want to read the Donovan Campbell recruiting thread. One of the guys tied to the Campbell family has said that Christian will probably never play QB for GT. I'm pretty sure Campbell would be a stud in our option game...the worry is his ability in our passing game. We're past the point that our QBs are one dimensional and just a running threat.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Please excuse my ignorance but what happened to DL Kendarius Whitehead this year? Wasn't he the man who transferred from NC State and was thought to have a lot of upside talent? With the continued DL struggles, thought he would have played this year if still at TECH and/or eligible. Please advise.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Please excuse my ignorance but what happened to DL Kendarius Whitehead this year? Wasn't he the man who transferred from NC State and was thought to have a lot of upside talent? With the continued DL struggles, thought he would have played this year if still at TECH and/or eligible. Please advise.
Buried on the depth chart.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's going to be a long off-season, so I might as well contribute to this thread... ;)

QB JeT
BB Leggett/Marshall/Weimerskirch
AB1 MLD, JJGreene, Lynch, Marshall
AB2 Searcy, Cottrell, Benson
WR1 Jeune, Stewart
WR2 Philpott, Howell
OT Klock, Stickler/Whitley
OG Devine
C Burden/Marshall
OG Brown/Griffin
OT Bryan

DE Freeman
DT Henderson/Kallon
NT Gamble
DE Rook-Chungong
LB Mitchell
LB Davis
LB Alexander
CB Durham, Dotson
S Gray
S Griffin
CB Austin, Simmons

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Guy may be fast but he is thin compared to Freeman who is thin. Freeman is getting bigger but still too small to hold edge ( tackles move him out to make a very large hole) .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Look over to the left in the photo. That's Chris Griffin (72), who apparently has been working out a bit during his injury year. He swole. :)
Noticed him wakking around the bench during some games. He has tree trunk legs as well as big arms. Wonder if he is agile
The young guys who played (Bryan and klock ) are quick, agile, and hostile but need to bulk up( which I am sure they will.)

this off season should be intense.