So who starts in DB?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Now with AJ gone ,we have no old starters.Who do you think gets the nod in the first game .Are the new guys overtaking the upperclassmen?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Now with AJ gone ,we have no old starters.Who do you think gets the nod in the first game .Are the new guys overtaking the upperclassmen?
I kind of think it'll be Kerr and Simmons at CB, then Campbell and Carpenter at Safety. Johnson, Oliver, Thomas, Swilling, and Showell will probably see significant time though.

Deleted member 2897

I don't know, and I love the Austin twins, but instead of 5'9" guys, here are some of our options:
Tre' Swilling: 6'0"
Ajani Kerr: 6'0"
Jaylon King: 6'1"
Lamont Simmons: 6'2"
Christian Campbell: 6'2"
Tariq Carpenter: 6'2"
Gentry Bonds: 6'2"
Charlie Thomas: 6'2"
Jalen Johnson: 6'3"
Juanyeh Thomas: 6'3"
Zamari Walton: 6'3"
Kaleb Oliver: 6'4"

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Jaylon King and Juanyeh Thomas will push for starting jobs early. My bold prediction will be that by Clemson, the DB depth chart will be:
CB:
Kerr, Swilling, Askew
King, Simmons
S:
Carpenter, Oliver, Showell
J. Thomas, Campbell

(Charlie Thomas and Jalen Johnson will likely be at OLB competing with Jaquon Henderson)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think Jaylon King and Juanyeh Thomas will push for starting jobs early. My bold prediction will be that by Clemson, the DB depth chart will be:
CB:
Kerr, Swilling, Askew
King, Simmons
S:
Carpenter, Oliver, Showell
J. Thomas, Campbell

(Charlie Thomas and Jalen Johnson will likely be at OLB competing with Jaquon Henderson)
This is my list too, but I forgot about Askew who I think could be the best CB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, and I love the Austin twins, but instead of 5'9" guys, here are some of our options:
Tre' Swilling: 6'0"
Ajani Kerr: 6'0"
Jaylon King: 6'1"
Lamont Simmons: 6'2"
Christian Campbell: 6'2"
Tariq Carpenter: 6'2"
Gentry Bonds: 6'2"
Charlie Thomas: 6'2"
Jalen Johnson: 6'3"
Juanyeh Thomas: 6'3"
Zamari Walton: 6'3"
Kaleb Oliver: 6'4"
1. Thank you Andy Mac for your efforts in this.
2. Watching these guys from behind defense bench and see in J Thomas at all star basketball game , we have players that look like miami athletes .
3. They will be harder to knock down, will get up faster will close faster to the attack, and hit harder.
4. Plus as my wife said, i like the new guys as they are better dancers. I have my hopes high for this group having a reason to dance.
5. My sons hs team runs the same aggressive ) WWZ defense and his players love it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m sorry, if Simmons is at CB i would be disappointed. You can’t play attacking style defense with passive players and attitude is not something you be coached up on

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Whoever it is, he’ll be talented. Say what you want about his scheming and playcalling, but Ted Roof recruited a lot of highly rated DBs the past two years.

Ted didn't recruit them. Unless they are all from Gwinnett County.
Recruiting is done by geographic area for coaches not by position. Besides DBs weren't his position anyway.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m sorry, if Simmons is at CB i would be disappointed. You can’t play attacking style defense with passive players and attitude is not something you be coached up on

With his size, I desperately want him to be better but could never figure out why he wasn't. If you're right about him being passive (and I have no reason to think you aren't), my confusion makes perfect sense.

Kind of a look like Tarzan, play like Jane kind of a thing. Maybe Wood can light a fire in him ... somehow.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I’m not comparing Simmons to Prime Time but D Sanders wasn’t aggressive in the physical sense. He was amazingly good at providing coverage. (Still don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with quite comparable speed on the field). I think where Simmons lacks physicality he overcomes a bit with providing good coverage. But I’d love to see a young stud win out, ball out, and bring solid coverage and some big hits to the secondary.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Whoever it is, he’ll be talented. Say what you want about his scheming and playcalling, but Ted Roof recruited a lot of highly rated DBs the past two years.

IIRC, one of the Clemson analyst a couple of years back said GT had the best DB recruiting class in the nation. Hope he was right.