So who leaves? Attrition.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
From what Ballin' said earlier, the problem seemed to be that he wasn't hitting consistently from over 40 in practice or pre-game. Well, there's a shocker. I think he hit one FG in 2018 that was over 40 yards (43, again if my memory isn't failing me). I remember that kick. It was between the posts and just barely cleared the crossbar. Everything else was within 40 yards. He hit all of those.

One thing that made Welles's life easier in 2018 was that Paul wanted a TD every time the team got past the 30. He turned to Welles if and only if we couldn't punch it in. Needless to say, last year getting past the 30 was a major offensive achievement. I'm not surprised that Collins wanted a kicker who could hit from further out. Problem = Welles is not Harrison Butker. He is very accurate within his range, but his best range is in the higher 30s, not 40 to 50. So Collins went to King who has a stronger leg (slightly) and grinned and bore it when he missed. In short, what it boiled down to was that Paul wanted Welles to do what he could do and Welles responded with a great performance. He couldn't do what Collins wanted him to and now he's gone.

Let's hope the new kids can hit from greater range and put KOs in the zone every now and then. That seems to be what the staff wants.
It is entirely possible my memory is failing me (unlike yours) but didn't Wells miss at least one extra point last year?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
From what Ballin' said earlier, the problem seemed to be that he wasn't hitting consistently from over 40 in practice or pre-game. Well, there's a shocker. I think he hit one FG in 2018 that was over 40 yards (43, again if my memory isn't failing me). I remember that kick. It was between the posts and just barely cleared the crossbar. Everything else was within 40 yards. He hit all of those.

Wesley Wells hit four field goals over 40 yards in 2018. His longest was 48 yards.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Thanks! That was fun to watch. When we had the ball, that is. Btw, the DBs play better now, with pretty much the same talent.

I rewatched the Georgia game from a few months back, just because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Against a receiving corps that did not have Cager and only had Pickens for less than a quarter, frankly, it wasn't real good. Then again, what wasn't ghastly that day.
Fromm's completion percentage that day was at 50 or a hair under it percent. For the season, we allowed a nearly 66 percent clip on completions.
There is some work to be done.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope the new kids can hit from greater range and put KOs in the zone every now and then. That seems to be what the staff wants.

This staff isn't alone in that. That's fairly universal.
I hope whoever wins the job gets a practice full of kicking under the lights at BDS with Van Halen or something turned all the way up to 11 on the PA system before the first game.
Because it is going to be loud whenever the most ATL kicker trots out there in the first game against Clemson having never kicked before on the college level.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
For the season, we allowed a nearly 60 percent clip on completions.
Not 66.
should have double checked the work before turning in the test.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the Georgia game from a few months back, just because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Against a receiving corps that did not have Cager and only had Pickens for less than a quarter, frankly, it wasn't real good. Then again, what wasn't ghastly that day.
Fromm's completion percentage that day was at 50 or a hair under it percent. For the season, we allowed a nearly 66 percent clip on completions.
There is some work to be done.
We made Perkins look even better in that game. Of course, there's always the (very real)possibility that he's a better QB then Fromm …

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is entirely possible my memory is failing me (unlike yours) but didn't Wells miss at least one extra point last year?
When we see Well s relatives at game , I will pass along the good wishes.
Take the Points has the best take - new coach values longer range over accuracy from 40 on in.
I would like to add - the new coach did not value the height of Wells field goal as much as I think he should have. Talking to his hs coach and then wat hing w binoculars =Wells kicks (while shorter) are unblock able because he strikes the ball a little lower than most. His ball went straight and high. When the 18 season wound down I told them he needed more range. For what ever reason it did not happen

THIS YEAR I HOPE WE HAVE A VERY GOOD HOLDER LIKE WELLS HAD IN BRAD STEWART.
Go Jackets.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
When we see Well s relatives at game , I will pass along the good wishes.
Take the Points has the best take - new coach values longer range over accuracy from 40 on in.
I would like to add - the new coach did not value the height of Wells field goal as much as I think he should have. Talking to his hs coach and then wat hing w binoculars =Wells kicks (while shorter) are unblock able because he strikes the ball a little lower than most. His ball went straight and high. When the 18 season wound down I told them he needed more range. For what ever reason it did not happen

THIS YEAR I HOPE WE HAVE A VERY GOOD HOLDER LIKE WELLS HAD IN BRAD STEWART.
Go Jackets.

You’re a gentlemen and a scholar sir and a heckuva testament to the idea of a Tech Man. I hope to catch you at some tailgate in the next few years (for the rare occasion of making it back to games from Houston) and share a glass of whiskey clear with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks! That was fun to watch. When we had the ball, that is. Btw, the DBs play better now, with pretty much the same talent.

not surprising. CGC is a far superior DC coach to Nate Woody. We seriously lacked fundamentals like tackling and lines to ball carriers under Woody. Lots to work on but already saw vast improvement in those 2 areas in 1 year of CGC.