So who leaves? Attrition.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Recently Cgc has said that ncaa has some special scholarship exceptions provisions for periods of transition. Perhaps we can be flexible with the 85 number during this period.

Didn't realize that CGC said it himself. I read an article about it a while back but it didn't have any specifics.

In all other areas, CGC seems more Dodd-like than anyone else. I'll believe someone was run off of a CGC team when I see it.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a lot of people on this roster who have been with the program for multiple years and are driving very little value or showing little promise. We need space to build depth and development.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are a lot of people on this roster who have been with the program for multiple years and are driving very little value or showing little promise. We need space to build depth and development.
GT can over other financial aid options to kids who are not going to kept on athletic scholarship. These players are not necessarily kicked out of school.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
GT can over other financial aid options to kids who are not going to kept on athletic scholarship. These players are not necessarily kicked out of school.
Exactly. For many, a degree from GT is far and above what they would’ve attained without football. As CGC says - think of football as your platform. For some that translates to on-field success / accolades. For others that’s earning a degree that otherwise would’ve happened.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Players have confirmed this on here. It always happened.

Attrition and what some would call processing has always happened at GT, but indeed, I don't recall PJ signing numbers to account for it....for whatever reason.

Dont waste time on thisguy.
He is a professional debater! and does a good job on many issues but for some reason he cant come to the conclusion that " the talk " has always occured. It's been pointed out numerous times that in the cpj years we had 47 players leave/ attrite in one 4 year period and about 40 in another equal period. Hell at the start of cgc period there were only 6 seniors that played on the starting team.

New subject for research.

Recently Cgc has said that ncaa has some special scholarship exceptions provisions for periods of transition. Perhaps we can be flexible with the 85 number during this period.

The point that I was making seems to have been lost.

I was not saying that we have never had attrition. Of course, we have. The normal student body more than the football team probably!

I was not saying that there have not been incidents described as "the talk" because I have no idea what people include in that.

I was simply saying that Dodd disagreed with the practice of oversigning and took a stand. To the best of my knowledge, every GT coach since Dodd until now has maintained this view.

Again, I appreciate that not everyone agrees with Dodd's attitude. However, I think we should at least admit something has changed.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Let's just say it. We're not just turning the page from CPJ. We're turning the page from Bobby Dodd.

Honestly, if it means more wins and top 10 teams, I'll probably learn to be good with it. I like Tech winning.

Still, I think it should not go without comment that 60 years of standing against what oversigning means for the SAs is now over. "Everybody does it" has now buried "what's right."

Beeloney.

GT, like every school, has lost players in the off season for a multitude of reasons.

Anybody thinking Dodd kept players on ship who transferred out to go back to n.y. and Indiana (2 I know of) is out of touch.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
The point that I was making seems to have been lost.

I was not saying that we have never had attrition. Of course, we have. The normal student body more than the football team probably!

I was not saying that there have not been incidents described as "the talk" because I have no idea what people include in that.

I was simply saying that Dodd disagreed with the practice of oversigning and took a stand. To the best of my knowledge, every GT coach since Dodd until now has maintained this view.

Again, I appreciate that not everyone agrees with Dodd's attitude. However, I think we should at least admit something has changed.
I believe what Dodd took a stand against was signing kids, holding summer tryouts, and then cutting the kids who didn't make the cut. That is very different from over-signing in anticipation of attrition.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wow. I’m fairly surprised by the King and Wells news. Plus Connor really stepped up for the team last season. Hate to see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk