So what accounts for this season?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This has been close to a magical season in many respects,but how/why did it happen?.On paper,we had lots of concerns going in--fairly new QB,mostly new OL, loss of 6 starters on a Def that statistically were much better than previous yrs.We had some known strengths but sometimes even they can fall apartl with injuries,attitude,etc
Here is my guess.
1.By far most important -the play of JT.This is probably 1 and 2.He is a guy that finally runs this Offense with all the skills needed--he can handle the ball,he offers a terrific run threat and can pass effectively (esp with 2 giant WRs.)
The other unknown was his leadership ability.Now he is Capt as a SOPH! The guys play for him.

2.Comparatively few early injuries.Some teams have been decimated with injuries(dook lost 2 all-conf guys before season). Take out Smelter, Gotsis ,Shaq, Nealy, or White early would have been very rough.
This may have been due to better training/development.It seemed like even our thin DL didn't seem to wear out in the deadly heat of Sept.

3.The importance on having a bevy of very skilled AND experienced guys at skill positions--WR and running backs.It takes a while to learn how block in this OFf and we now do it usually well..Experience also gives the timing necessary in this run Off esp. (Next yr we may see the difference)

4.The fast development of the OL esp Burden. If they had not been as good the skills of the backs would have been greatly negated. The hidden aspect might have been the ST coach helping on the OL.

5.The work of the DEF coaches to cover obvious weaknesses as well as possible.The clem game without Green was a perfect example.

6.Luck- sometimes things just break your way. I remember Gotsis could have easily been called for a QB hit on the key VT interception.Having the clem QB hurt HIMSELF,sure was fortuitous. It usually balances out but not necessarily in 1 season.

7. Few major screw-ups on STs.Having the KO go into EZ a lot.Solid punting .Sometimes this is a given until something bad happens. The extra pt missed vs clem made no difference after all.
We won the ST game almost always.A nice change from 4 yrs ago or so.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
QB sold out to PJ's system (by reason, PJ's system itself)
NFL caliber wide receiver that has saved our butts all season
Best OL in PJ's tenure
Ted Roof and the D-coaches (and players giving their 100% all on the D side no matter what)
An unselfish bunch of guys that root for each other and leave their EGO's at the door (give DMo some credit for this)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People hate to talk about luck in football, but it plays a big part. We have had several seasons of really bad luck in succession. I would say our luck has been far better this year. However, that doesn't account for it all. I would offer the following about what is different:

We have generally FINISHED games in 2014. The only exception being the UNC game where we scored on the reverse and then failed to hold them. The last few seasons were just as competitive, but we routinely failed to finish. Some of the difference is due to leadership among the ranks, but some, I am sure, is due to coach Sisk and physical conditioning improvements.

We have gotten turnovers on defense and have managed to hold on to the ball on offense for the most part. The only real exception was the Duke game where our QB looked like a first year player. There is no stronger predictor of success than TO margin.

We have benefitted from a TRUE dual threat QB who can both throw and run to great effect. He makes reads and is a true leader. The game has sped up for teams trying to defend us. Having to play faster, mentally and physically, exposes a lot of weaknesses.

That is how I see it. We are not radically different from what we have been, but let's face it, the edge is razor thin in CFB between excellent and decent.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Good coaching.

A team that shows up to practice everyday to get better and belives without a doubt they can beat anyone...also a real close team. No one really picks on others or things like they...a unselfish bunch that watns to win more than any personal goals. Rare.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I can remember people talking about when Grobe had Wake rolling (for them), and he always managed to have a lot of RS-Srs in the depth chart. I think a major part is having Hill, Perkins, Zenon, Bostic, Smelter, Waller, Laskey and Days all at the skill positions. It's a kind of BYU effect. Not only is their familiarity with the system better, but physically and emotionally, they are more mature than their opponents.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I think that luck matters more than some people want to admit.

Positive luck this year, negative luck in other years.

The VT game could have EASILY gone the other way about 5 times (4th and 15, Snoddy's near safety), and if that game goes the other way, who knows how the season goes.

Now, of course, guys made plays,, and it didn't go the other way, but football is a funny game that way. I would say that maybe this season is closer to other seasons than we think, and you guys have gotten some bounces this year that you didn't get in other years. (and yes,, the initial list is a very good list, too. I agree with all of it)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Luck and skill can go hand and hand. Like golf, the skilled player gets into position to allow luck to strike more often. Hit close to the flag and you have a chance the ball will go in.

A good player can go sometime without a win. But then he is on fire and his "luck" and skill align for the big win.

GT has had many games lost in the last 4 years due to one or two plays. This year we have 2 games won on two plays and two losses on 2 plays. Luck? Skill? Both!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good coaching.

A team that shows up to practice everyday to get better and belives without a doubt they can beat anyone...also a real close team. No one really picks on others or things like they...a unselfish bunch that watns to win more than any personal goals. Rare.

I was thinking about something similar last night. This team has gotten better most weeks. It seems we keep learning and getting better a good bit most games.

CPJ always says that you improve the most from the first to second game, but I think this team has progressed far far beyond our first three games (I no longer consider GSU a cupcake since they are 8-3).

We sort of had plateaus of the first three games, then picked it up for VT and Miami, regressed for Fluke and UNC, accelerated for Pitt, UVa and NC State, and then played our best total game of the season against Clemson.

The growth of this team is what is so exciting to me. ANd we aren't losing that many Srs. Plus we get JHD back for the bowl hopefully!

I know growth is a symptom and not what accounts for the growth, but I think the previous posts hit the reasons for growth.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a combination of factors -
  1. JT is a much better QB for the offense CPJ wants to run.
  2. Smelter started catching the dang ball
  3. Experience at AB and BB, plus much better O-line play
  4. Defense made plays against Miami when they had to.
  5. VT is awful this year
  6. Turnover luck on fumble recoveries (GaSo is the big one, plus running out to that huge lead on Pitt)

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Having both played and coached team sports, there are always numerous factors that have to come together for a season like this to happen.

We have the right coach, coaching the right players for his system and the team has bought into his leadership and plays for him and each other. It truly is lightning in a bottle. And as we all know, it doesn't come together like this very often.

I Don't buy into the luck element. With a bit of luck, we are 11-0. Auburn was lucky last year. This team isn't lucky. They're damned good.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What happened is simple

This is the first total team since 2009 that mimics and purely reflects every quality its head coach represents. This team is in mold of its head coach.

Relentless
Tough
Team
Never give up
Gritty
Edgey