So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The appeal on the loss of scholarship and recruiting limitations is still on the table. Maybe the fact that we take the more public penalty of sitting out the ACCT will encourage the NCAA to give us a break and quietly give us out scholly back and recruiting harness when Men's Hoops are not on the media's front burner.

As for sitting out the post season this year, we were not going to make the NCAAT this season and I don't care much about the NIT. But, sitting out the ACCT this season is a bitter pill to swallow.

As for next year, it is a big year for Pastner as the roster seems to be set-up decently as it sits now. But a lot can happen that is beyond a coach's control (early departures, injuries). So, what I am looking at is this Fall recruiting period. We seem, finally, to have established some inroads with several in-state recruits of note. If we pull in a good class in the Fall after having us set-up pretty good roster-wise for next year, that is good enough for me.

A lot of truth here.

As to any lawsuit vs ncaa - nobody really believes we would do that alone do they? NCAA would laugh their azz off.

Anything like that would require at least one team from each P5 conference (in good standing) to go forward.

Now - Pack It For BANKS!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see how Mr. Zelnak feels after offering up the cash for a lawsuit against the NCAA, then to have Stansbury blink. Will he open his checkbook in the future after such a public humiliation?

I gotta believe he was informed of the plan and understood the placement of the story with the press.

Notice TStan referenced how it now looked like the appeal would not be addressed before the tourney.

I think they halfway hoped the lawsuit nugget would move some needle.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
F*ck the NCAA

That's all i got.
...and that’s all anyone needs to say. Sums up this thread—and several others—with maximum efficiency.

Mods: can we separate kg’s post out in a thread of its own, pin it at the top of the forum, and lock it from any further replies?

You know, just as a reminder of what’s important...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
...and that’s all anyone needs to say. Sums up this thread—and several others—with maximum efficiency.

Mods: can we separate kg’s post out in a thread of its own, pin it at the top of the forum, and lock it from any further replies?

You know, just as a reminder of what’s important...

Now everyone's gonna think you're my burner account.

Wha? Kg has a burner account? Nooooo ...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Dropping our appeal on just the postseason part of the punishment, a week before the ACC tournament is quite the middle finger to the ACC. I dont know if conference support means anything when a school goes through an NCAA investigation. But if the ACC didnt stand up for us, then I say this was a chess move against them. Make them scramble to redesign the tourney on short notice. Maybe one day they will see that the teams not in NC matter to the conference.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Dropping our appeal on just the postseason part of the punishment, a week before the ACC tournament is quite the middle finger to the ACC. I dont know if conference support means anything when a school goes through an NCAA investigation. But if the ACC didnt stand up for us, then I say this was a chess move against them. Make them scramble to redesign the tourney on short notice. Maybe one day they will see that the teams not in NC matter to the conference.

I doubt they'll be much of a scramble. We'll probably be treated as the 15 seed that forfeits effectively giving the 5 seed a bye and the rest of the tourney rolls on as normal

slugboy

Staff member
I doubt they'll be much of a scramble. We'll probably be treated as the 15 seed that forfeits effectively giving the 5 seed a bye and the rest of the tourney rolls on as normal

Agree. It’s not like this is a surprise. We’ve been talking about this since the penalty was announced. I’d be disappointed in the conference office if they didn’t have a plan in place shortly after the announcement, if not a standing plan at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member

Agree. It’s not like this is a surprise. We’ve been talking about this since the penalty was announced. I’d be disappointed in the conference office if they didn’t have a plan in place shortly after the announcement, if not a standing plan at all times.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with the decision, but man is it deflating. I was looking forward to us playing in the ACC tournament and possibly an NIT.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
BTW, I believe this has been done before. I think Syracuse and Louisville both have pulled out of the ACC Tourney close to the end of the season for similar reasons. I was at the tourney both times (if I remember correctly) and it was no big deal to adjust the schedule. Sad for GT but I think it makes sense in the long view. I have gone to the tourney for about 22 of the last 25 years. I am not going this year because I believed we would end up not playing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT didn't pull out of the ACC Tournament. Once they decided to take the NCAA post-season ban they were ineligible by ACC rule to compete in the ACC Tourney. Like many conferences the ACC has a rule that if you are ineligible to play in the NCAA post-season tournaments you are ineligible to play in the conference tournament.

Conferences do this to protect the auto-bid. If an ineligible team ends up winning the tournament and the auto bid that is an issue for conferences where they could prevent another team from using that auto-bid. That is potentially a very lucrative item so conferences don't want to lose it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We should have accepted the punishment Tuesday morning next week. Should have taken a picture of the guys getting ready to get on the bus to go to the airport, then taken a picture of the Team in the terminal all sporting those big foam middle fingers. Missed a great opportunity to share the pain.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

New schedule for the tourney is already up. Looks like it was really hard for the ACC to adjust. :rolleyes:

http://theacc.com/sports/2018/1/12/2017-18-new-york-life-acc-tournament.aspx

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Considering how the lil girl personally went before ncaa with uncheats, is it possible to hate the n.c. mafia any less than ncaa?

Man i really want signs and/or t shirts directed at the lil girl when she next comes to Grant Field.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that I think about it, what really sucks is that we didn’t get our sanctions until 2019-2020 season instead of getting them in 2018-19 season. Would have been more than happy to self impose a post season ban.

Jmonty71

Banned
The NCAA kicks programs, while they are down. When programs are making the NCAA lots of money, the NCAA tends to turn a blind eye. Unless it's something so egregious, that they have to react.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
The ironic thing is we could have seriously ended up the five seed.