So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Zelnak isn’t playing around.
It’s about time someone affiliated with Tech decided to flex on the NCAA.
Now, If I’m CJP, after seeing there’s money around, I might feel uneasy about my future. Now I’m not saying he’s gonna get fired or Zelnek is gonna use it to fire and bring in someone else but after hearing there’s no money all these years and out of nowhere it’s available that would make me a little uneasy.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Oh hell yeah,

In regards to bringing a lawsuit against the NCAA:
“We can raise seven-figure money in a heartbeat for that,” Zelnak said. “I’ve already worked on that some. And I’m not the only one. There are other guys (within the Tech community).”

That’s the kind of flex we need from donors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s about time someone affiliated with Tech decided to flex on the NCAA.
Now, If I’m CJP, after seeing there’s money around, I might feel uneasy about my future. Now I’m not saying he’s gonna get fired or Zelnek is gonna use it to fire and bring in someone else but after hearing there’s no money all these years and out of nowhere it’s available that would make me a little uneasy.
Zelnak and his pocketbook sounded very supportive of pastner.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

If you ask me, this all but solidifies the fact that we will not be dropping the appeal, and I really don't think that we should.

It would be a huge sign of weakness in regards to overall appeal. We appealed because we thought it was a bull**** sanction, not only because we had a shot at the postseason.

With Zelnak and the other heavy-hitting donors willing to pony-up, I think we stay the course and throw up the middle finger to the NCAA.

Zelnak and his pocketbook sounded very supportive of pastner.

Agreed..I think that his stance is the way that we should all feel. We should all be pulling for him to succeed, but be prepared to act if it becomes clear that he is not.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting. If GT makes a tourney next year, does that help us financially as well? Do we get some larger payout, for example?

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
If you ask me, this all but solidifies the fact that we will not be dropping the appeal, and I really don't think that we should.

It would be a huge sign of weakness in regards to overall appeal. We appealed because we thought it was a bull**** sanction, not only because we had a shot at the postseason.

With Zelnak and the other heavy-hitting donors willing to pony-up, I think we stay the course and throw up the middle finger to the NCAA.

Agreed..I think that his stance is the way that we should all feel. We should all be pulling for him to succeed, but be prepared to act if it becomes clear that he is not.

I hear ya but it’s just to risky to lose the appeal and be banned next yr. Even if we go to court how does that stop us from paying ineligible next year?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. If GT makes a tourney next year, does that help us financially as well? Do we get some larger payout, for example?

Not really - our payout is based on the whole league. We get a share of what the ACC gets -not what we earn ourselves. The issue is really internal - recruiting and how to judge the progress of a head coach in BB

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hear ya but it’s just to risky to lose the appeal and be banned next yr. Even if we go to court how does that stop us from paying ineligible next year?

I certainly don’t want that either, but it was always a risk.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
As someone who knows squat about what’s going on,I’ll just share my opinion. The NCAA will drag their heels on our appeal until the tournaments are over, which means we’ll play in the ACCT. Then they’ll make their decision in the offseason, and if they deny our appeal then, Zelnak and the boys will get serious about a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hate the NCAA and its inconsistent enforcement of violations. But, we are voluntary members of the NCAA. Courts do not like to take cases where members of voluntary associations sue the association in court.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I've been 100% in favor of suing the NCAA for years. I'm delighted to hear it may actually happen. Don't f**k with the Institute.

I believe any action like this would be better, maybe not necessary, if joined by at least one school from every major conference.

GT_EE78

Banned
sounds like withdrawing the post-season ban appeal is the best choice, assuming it can be done.
Why risk players going to the transfer portal?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we should wait as long as we can (like day before ACC tourney), and then have the players take a vote. We'll have a clearer picture of our shot (if at all) at the NIT and the players will be able to decide since it impacts them directly.

I just don't think it's a decision CJP or ADTS should make without the full support of the players either way.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we should wait as long as we can (like day before ACC tourney), and then have the players take a vote. We'll have a clearer picture of our shot (if at all) at the NIT and the players will be able to decide since it impacts them directly.

I just don't think it's a decision CJP or ADTS should make without the full support of the players either way.
For scheduling the ACC is not going to allow us to decide the day before the tourney. My bet is this is already decided and we are playing in the ACC tourney and then seeing if we get enough wins to get to the NIT. I fully expect we will serve the ban next year unless the ban is lifted.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
For scheduling the ACC is not going to allow us to decide the day before the tourney. My bet is this is already decided and we are playing in the ACC tourney and then seeing if we get enough wins to get to the NIT. I fully expect we will serve the ban next year unless the ban is lifted.

Serving ban next year might as well be the death penalty for the program.