So one assistant position still available….

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If tilman gets the whole secondary
And long is both OC and QB
Thacker is LB
……then who?

New DC rumors? Maybe its not collins??

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
"Influential Boosters" were dumb to put a number on it. What if we win 6 during the regular season, coming on strong at the end and pulling out a hard fought win against the mutts?

Would we really fire Collins et al? Probably not, but the 8 win line in the sand will hurt recruiting and give people something to beeyotch about next year, even if we play reasonably well but only win 6.
Meh. Not really. All of that is rumors.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
"Influential Boosters" were dumb to put a number on it. What if we win 6 during the regular season, coming on strong at the end and pulling out a hard fought win against the mutts?

Would we really fire Collins et al? Probably not, but the 8 win line in the sand will hurt recruiting and give people something to beeyotch about next year, even if we play reasonably well but only win 6.
We keep him at 1-11 if that 1 is uga. Get your mind rite.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Patience.
Lots of turmoil out there. Going to be some hurt feelings. They know we are looking.

I hope we get recruiting tight and then make a hire before final signing.

Also some more NFL experience !

Last edited:

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck

That booster said 8 wins. I truly doubt that’s the consensus or even the Presidents view. Let’s see what plays out 22’. They paying good money to two new assistants who are both in multi-year deals.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Name really one good team in the ACC. Clemson and Pitt are decent, but I doubt they could win any other P5 conference out there. 8 wins should be the minimum.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That booster said 8 wins. I truly doubt that’s the consensus or even the Presidents view. Let’s see what plays out 22’. They paying good money to two new assistants who are both in multi-year deals.
Lets admit it, 6 wins and a bowl would feel like a huge success, imo they keep him if he hits that total, 8 is really going to be a tough hill to climb.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm not crazy about Collins being the defensive coordinator. I worry as next season wears on and Collins attention is needed elsewhere regarding other team matters, the defense will be turned back over to Thacker. I also wonder if Thacker kept his coordinator pay.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lets admit it, 6 wins and a bowl would feel like a huge success, imo they keep him if he hits that total, 8 is really going to be a tough hill to climb.
Yeah, it all depends on “quality wins” at this point. I think people say 8 wins because at this point there aren’t many quality teams on the schedule so winning 8 seems like a low bar for a team that is supposed to be elite. But we all know a lot can change by next year and the “right kind of wins” will make a difference. Beat uga and Collins probably gets a contract extension at this point.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, it all depends on “quality wins” at this point.

And "quality losses". This staff cannot afford to have the type of beatdowns like we did against ND and Uga to end this season. Those two games cost him any goodwill (however small) he had in his bank. I am talking about the type of game where after watching 10 minutesof it you know the outcome is settled and the only question is how bad the beating is going to be that day. Being competitive for the most part in our games after Pitt had me thinking (hoping?) that the Pitt game was a one off, Turns out it wasn't.

slugboy

Staff member
If you look at the earlier quotes by Garrett and Zelnak, they gave more context than "we expect 8 wins". For this past season, Garrett said he'd understand if we weren't bowl-eligible if we were playing well but got some unlucky breaks.
I used a startup analogy for the football team earlier, and compared the big boosters to venture capital or angel investors. It's different--they're in this because they're fans--but it's unusual to have a lot of money if you're not in the habit of getting results from it.
If you were putting big money into the program, I'd expect you to think about two things--1. do we have the right idea (the right direction for the program)? and 2. do we have the right people running it so we can get there?
You're trying to figure out those two things based on what you're seeing on the field. If something is wrong, you want to fix it as quickly as possible without blowing the reserves you need to get the program going in the right direction while still being able to buy your grandkid the GI Joe with the kung-fu grip.
While you're looking for a target number, the real thing you're looking for is the hockey stick turn in the graph--the signal that you've got a hit on the way, or that there is gold in those hills. Or, a clear sign you've got a "dud" on your hands. Either way, enough information to make a decision.

GIF by Margaux Resources Ltd.

And, yes, we’d be nuts not to fill that last assistant role. Maybe a second o-line coach? A DC, if it’s not Collins hands-on? Where ever your biggest hole is, fill that spot.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
If tilman gets the whole secondary
And long is both OC and QB
Thacker is LB
……then who?

New DC rumors? Maybe its not collins??
I doubt there will be a new DC hired, not only because of the rumors/assumptions that CGC will handle that job, but because we just hired a DB coach. I we were planning to hire a new DC, I would hope we’d defer to him on the hiring of defensive position coaches. But what do I know?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And, yes, we’d be nuts not to fill that last assistant role. Maybe a second o-line coach? A DC, if it’s not Collins hands-on? Where ever your biggest hole is, fill that spot.
A second O-line coach? Somebody to butt heads with Brent Key? I'd like for us to replace Key but it isn't happening this time around and it would seem we need only one OL coach.

Geoff has had success as a DC, but putting him in that role will distract him from game day decisions, which he has enough trouble with as it is. If he gets another coach to help him with managing the game, it's awkward, whether it be Key (Assistant HC) or somebody new. I've felt that putting Geoff in the DC role will give him something useful to do and somebody else could make the game day calls. Is that something we could do, or is it just a fantasy? Has that arrangement ever been made before?

I certainly don't claim to know what the answer is - I'm just trying on the scenarios. It seems the only thing to do that isn't awkward is to simply hire a new DC, but all things considered maybe awkward is the best alternative. I dunno...

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
With the new hires, CGC's buyout was raised 1.2M for next year. I think he gets two years. Everything being mentioned about his buyout this year and with giving 2 year contracts to the assistants (and potentially another 2 year contract to another one), I'm not seeing how he isn't around another 2 years. I can see a TE/special teams coordinator as the last hire. Part of this is due to how Long utilizes the TEs in the offense.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not crazy about Collins being the defensive coordinator. I worry as next season wears on and Collins attention is needed elsewhere regarding other team matters, the defense will be turned back over to Thacker. I also wonder if Thacker kept his coordinator pay.
All future college coaches (including assistants.)Should b incentive. Based. University of Florida is paying their past 3 Head Coaches. 70 million dollars buyouts. ?????

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Matt Rhule is about to get canned at Carolina. Maybe he knows and CGC knows this and just waiting......He was a defensive coach before becoming a qb coach then OC.
AND just signed a minimum 60million dollar contract last year so I'm sure Tech could cover his mortgage here or car payment or something.