So how do people feel about Brent Key and Geoff Collins-

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If (I think it’s going to be more like “when”) Collins & Key bring in a top 20 recruiting class some of these board members collective heads will explode.

“But, if, we can’t, don’t have, see when I believe it, realistic, expectations”. Cry. Cry. Cry.

Good God stick a thermometer in your butt & STFU.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Back to the original question about feelings about Collins and Key. I have said before about CGC that I am cautiously optimistic. Some believe that that is a knock against CGC or that I am working against him. That isn't how I feel.

I have heard others comment about him from the range of -- We are now on the level of Alabama and Clemson -- to -- This much hype sounds just like B*** L****. My feelings are not represented in either of those levels.

The general feelings I have seen posted are that CGC's crew will need to: Recruit better, coach defense better, coach special teams better, not drop off on offense much. They can do those things, but they haven't as of yet. We will see next fall how they can coach, but if they stumble that could be interpreted as an issue with personnel they inherited. We will see in the next two recruiting classes how they can recruit, but even if they have higher ranked classed it will take another couple of years to see if those recruits pan out and/or can stay in school. Even if the classes are ranked lower, it will still take a couple of years at least to see if those players pan out better than the websites ranked them.

CGC is the head coach for GT football, and I support him. I feel good about the things they are doing. It is far too early to form an opinion on CGC's place in the history of coaches at GT. I don't understand why that upsets some people.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Back to the original question about feelings about Collins and Key. I have said before about CGC that I am cautiously optimistic. Some believe that that is a knock against CGC or that I am working against him. That isn't how I feel.

I have heard others comment about him from the range of -- We are now on the level of Alabama and Clemson -- to -- This much hype sounds just like B*** L****. My feelings are not represented in either of those levels.

The general feelings I have seen posted are that CGC's crew will need to: Recruit better, coach defense better, coach special teams better, not drop off on offense much. They can do those things, but they haven't as of yet. We will see next fall how they can coach, but if they stumble that could be interpreted as an issue with personnel they inherited. We will see in the next two recruiting classes how they can recruit, but even if they have higher ranked classed it will take another couple of years to see if those recruits pan out and/or can stay in school. Even if the classes are ranked lower, it will still take a couple of years at least to see if those players pan out better than the websites ranked them.

CGC is the head coach for GT football, and I support him. I feel good about the things they are doing. It is far too early to form an opinion on CGC's place in the history of coaches at GT. I don't understand why that upsets some people.

Sounds reasonable to me. He's been here what, six weeks? Best thing so far is that he seems to have gotten the purse strings loosened up. We'll see what happens.

Animal02

Banned

This times 1000.
It is comical seeing posts like the one slightly above.....where if you don't share the same group think, you are expected / demanded to be silent......as if they are scared to hear any opposing viewpoint. And if you do express it, the naming calling commences in place of actually countering your opinion. Too similar to what is happening in the political landscape.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If (I think it’s going to be more like “when”) Collins & Key bring in a top 20 recruiting class some of these board members collective heads will explode.

“But, if, we can’t, don’t have, see when I believe it, realistic, expectations”. Cry. Cry. Cry.

LOL - yep. Several agendas will bite the dust the day that happens.

Coach Macon

Georgia Tech Fan
New to the group, 08' Grad...What do I think? I'm all the way turnt up! We win another National Championship before that lesser in-state school does. We beat Clemson in August. The single greatest thing hurting Tech's recruiting is not academics...It's our "cautiously optimistic" fan base. Recruits don't want to come online and see that. Put me and my boys on the field with any team in the world and I'm going to think we're going to win...until we don't. That's what this coaching staff believes and if your athletes believe that too then magical things will happen regardless of rankings. Back that by a fanbase that jumps on the bandwagon and turns the hype volume all the way up and no one can stop you. We are in the state with the greatest talent in the #1 city for any young man. How hard is it to sell ATL vs some backwoods farming school. Hell, we have a waffle house on campus...and we've put men on the moon! I know, I know, we're all engineers and way too good at numbers, statistics but I have a solution...six pack of beer(preferably PBR), a four loco, a gallon of ice cream and your favorite bag of Doritos. Turn your brain into a sugar high mush equivalent to the average Alabama fan. Then tell me Georgia Tech isn't capable of being the helluva greatest college football school in the universe. 4X National Champions and that's not all!

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

:yawn:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Can’t seem to get a good email on the former and have heard nothing about a particular issue I have that triggers others. So I’m still negative on Key.

CGC, I’ve liked what he’s done so far and I think he can succeed if given appropriate support. If we fail to support competitively I fear any short term success and excitement he generates will be short lived. Winning cures most ills though so here’s to hoping we win a ton.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would this be closer to true?
The single biggest thing hurting tech recruiting that we can do anything about is the overly pessimistic attitude of the fans.
Trick question.
Negative fans are irrelevant in year 0 plus 6 weeks. They will come around.

When tstan hired cgc, Gtaa has done almost all it can to improve recruiting .

A little curriculum tweaking would help.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The only top 20 I care about is the one at the end of the year.