Smelter/JT post game presser

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I find some of the questions amusing, such as, "What was going on in your mind during such and such play?"

I'd be tempted to say things like, "I was thinking how good some french fries would taste."

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Hahaha, as someone who has to be "media trained" before my company will let me do any interviews with the press while representing the company, their responses made me laugh. It totally sounded like they successfully completed the Paul Johnson Media Training Course by giving obvious, generic answers to most questions. Giving the press nothing to work with, and looking disinterested while doing so!

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I find some of the questions amusing, such as, "What was going on in your mind during such and such play?"

I'd be tempted to say things like, "I was thinking how good some french fries would taste."

I think that style may be what makes CPJ seem so annoyed with Ken. He has a way of trying to ask questions in a roundabout manner where he wants to gain psychological insight into his interviewee. Athletes, like most guys, don't really want to be open all that much about what is going on behind their ears or psychologically or emotionally. Ken's end product articles are fantastic though so his approach really works for him somehow.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those media types were absolutely clueless. They actually tried to influence the way the kids would answer by almost putting words in their mouth. Ridiculous! Kudos to both our guys for being patient in the face of a totally unprepared line of questioning. Justin just had to be nervous if he overthrew a couple receivers. Give me a break. CPJ just had to talk him down off the ledge at halftime. C'mon fellas. At one point these two just had to chuckle with each other. The reporters should be embarrassed. Yes Justin overthrew a couple in half 1. Yes Justin blew a few reads. Any athlete worth his salt is going to make natural adjustments along the way. It isn't rocket science. Those interviews were a total waste of time and it had nothing to do with OUR kids.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

There's that great scene in the movie about Dizzy Dean where the catcher calls time. Switch to fan in the stands. Girlfriend asks, "What are they meeting about?" Fan: "They're going over their next pitch; this guy can hit." Back to the mound. Catcher: "Say, Diz, you know that shotgun you said your Dad had for sale?" Diz: "Yep and he's still got it." Catcher: "I'd like to buy it after the game." Diz: "You've got it, pardner." Meeting breaks up. Back to the fan in the stands. His girlfriend is looking at him like he's a real expert and he's pleased.

I hope that a lot of the time our players are thinking about french fries. That means they know what to do during the play and they are as confident about doing it as Ole Diz always was.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think there was some good info in these answers and it wasn't completely powder puff.

For example, I really loved Thomas's response to "if he took special pride in a passing game like this one given that it is a running offense?" There is a deep prejudice in many football fans and even media members minds towards thinking of a Quarterback as the team's "Passer" or "Ball Thrower." What is essential to all QBs though is that they are the team's Field Commander or Leader of the offense. It is accidental (even if a necessary accident) to that role that they are the one passing the ball.

So Thomas replied, and believably if you look at his body language, that in his mind when he passes well in the opportunities they get to pass then the offense as a whole works better and that includes opening up the run game even more. He recognizes that there is a symbiotic relationship between the passing and running components and clearly has "bought in" to CPJ and Cook's offensive schemes and system.

Similarly I liked it when Thomas said "everything is a read." That suggests again that he understands that he is the QB, the field commander, and that the offensive scheme is an "option" scheme, obviously in running but also in spread passing and play action principles. He intends to be the best decision maker he can be and move the offense effectively.

I hope he truly could care less about his throwing statistics. If he is working to achieve perfection in each play called as the QB then his stats (QB rating, passing yards, etc.) will take care of themselves. 15 pass attempts is rather standard for this offense, it's what gets done with them that makes or breaks perceptions.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There's that great scene in the movie about Dizzy Dean where the catcher calls time. Switch to fan in the stands. Girlfriend asks, "What are they meeting about?" Fan: "They're going over their next pitch; this guy can hit." Back to the mound. Catcher: "Say, Diz, you know that shotgun you said your Dad had for sale?" Diz: "Yep and he's still got it." Catcher: "I'd like to buy it after the game." Diz: "You've got it, pardner." Meeting breaks up. Back to the fan in the stands. His girlfriend is looking at him like he's a real expert and he's pleased.

I hope that a lot of the time our players are thinking about french fries. That means they know what to do during the play and they are as confident about doing it as Ole Diz always was.

When my pitcher could not find the strike zone I would go to the mound and have a brief chat about how some nut in the stands (his father) was yelling. We would have a little laugh and then get back to business. I was taught that by an old salt coach who knew a lot more about coaching than me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like how they adjusted the chairs and Smelter stayed leaning forward so as to mask JT being more than 1/2 foot shorter.