Smelter Highlight Vid

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm going to miss Smelter a lot. He just liked to hit.

That left side of the end zone catch reminded against Clemson me of some former GT W who'se done all right in the NFL. Hopefully Deandre joins him (but not with a defective mutt QB).

I think we have some WRs who hopefully will use him as a role model. There is nothing better (for me) than good down field blocking. Do that and small gains become gashes and TDs.

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I disagree that any of our other WR's could have done that...takes want to, strength and a some nastiness to do it...in fact the only other big block I remember from another WR was Anotnio Messick.

Smelter has had a ton...VT, Ole Miss and UVA off the top of my head.

Smelter loved blocking and it showed.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
That's a nice hit, but it was a blind side hit and something that any of our other wr's could have done. The target was zoned in on the runningback and had no idea what was coming.
Yeah it was a blind side hit, but to say that any of our other WRs could have done the same is kind of crazy. Our offense sets up a lot of situations like this, yet how many times did one of our WRs LAY OUT a LB? Smelter's blocking was absolutely top notch, and will definitely be missed. He ended up just as good and powerful a blocker as Bay Bay was. In my mind, Smelter is the player we are going to miss the most. It'll be fun watching him in the pros.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Smelter is next up on that original list of Seniors I made for appreciation threads. I don't want to reveal personal info on a message board but a lot of real world events and issues have contracted my free time considerably. I could use some help putting them together. So anyone can please feel free to lend a hand and keep the production of the threads ongoing.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to miss Smelter a lot. He just liked to hit.

That left side of the end zone catch reminded against Clemson me of some former GT W who'se done all right in the NFL. Hopefully Deandre joins him (but not with a defective mutt QB).

I think we have some WRs who hopefully will use him as a role model. There is nothing better (for me) than good down field blocking. Do that and small gains become gashes and TDs.
Yeah, I absolutely love the way he plays the game. I think he has a good shot to be great at the next level. Someone is going to get a steal when they pick him up.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Smelter is next up on that original list of Seniors I made for appreciation threads. I don't want to reveal personal info on a message board but a lot of real world events and issues have contracted my free time considerably. I could use some help putting them together. So anyone can please feel free to lend a hand and keep the production of the threads ongoing.
Sorry to hear that, I hope everything is ok.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The thing that sticks with me most about Smelter is the confidence he evoked. We haven't had a WR like that since Demaryius Thomas. When JeT went long, you just knew Smelter was going to come up with it. When it was third or fourth and long, Smelter always seemed to get the necessary yardage for the first down. By the end of the season, we expected the unexpected out of him. We had flashes of brilliance with Hill, and Waller, to his credit, turned it on this year, especially the last two games, but none evoked the same confidence that Smelter did. I know we have some great WRs on the team, hopefully one or more steps up in a big way early next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it was a blind side hit, but to say that any of our other WRs could have done the same is kind of crazy. Our offense sets up a lot of situations like this, yet how many times did one of our WRs LAY OUT a LB? Smelter's blocking was absolutely top notch, and will definitely be missed. He ended up just as good and powerful a blocker as Bay Bay was. In my mind, Smelter is the player we are going to miss the most. It'll be fun watching him in the pros.
He was a great player, no doubt, but this particular play was an easy one anyone could make. Sorry, no dice on great play. It's similar to when a DE is "turned loose" and given a free run at a qb and hits him on the blind side. Wow, great play. :rolleyes:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Deandre, so thought I would make a new one for his highlight video.

Youtube user JSM Productions had been making highlight videos for players across CFB, and has made a few for GT players.

Very nice piece of work, though I confess to melancholy after the 75-yard reverse against UNC, because after all that we let them run the field to win. But great stuff. I hope his injury -- after a baseball injury -- will not hurt his NFL chances, because he can be a player for somebody. By that I mean a starting wideout.