slow starter

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
does cgc know he is a slow starter? are there those that disagree with this evaluation?

what can he do to improve this issue if indeed his TEAMS tend to be slow starters.

i cant imagine this being the total fault of a head coach. the staff has something to do with it. so far im not thrilled with coach pat . but its was only one game against the absolute best in the country.

certainly the current schedule favors a slow starter. he will have to pick it up a good bit next year though. thoughts?

bueller bueller

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
does cgc know he is a slow starter? are there those that disagree with this evaluation?

what can he do to improve this issue if indeed his TEAMS tend to be slow starters.

i cant imagine this being the total fault of a head coach. the staff has something to do with it. so far im not thrilled with coach pat . but its was only one game against the absolute best in the country.

certainly the current schedule favors a slow starter. he will have to pick it up a good bit next year though. thoughts?

bueller bueller
Of course u are right.

He should have started fast, run left, pass, pass, and scored, scored, scored! You and KNUTE ROCKNE.

Oh , we were playing #1 team. Perhaps that may have had something to do with it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure what you are basing this on. At both Temple and GT, he hasn't had clear starting QBs at the start of the year. Hard to get out of the gate fast without that.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure what you are basing this on. At both Temple and GT, he hasn't had clear starting QBs at the start of the year. Hard to get out of the gate fast without that.
OP is saying CGC teams appear to be slow starting/taking a while to find themselves and find success. Sure , no clear QB, but, and this is huge, it isn't like a new QB came in at temple, that QB was there all along. So the question is, is it taking coach P too long to identify the talent?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
OP is saying CGC teams appear to be slow starting/taking a while to find themselves and find success. Sure , no clear QB, but, and this is huge, it isn't like a new QB came in at temple, that QB was there all along. So the question is, is it taking coach P too long to identify the talent?

Too small sample size to make a judgment like that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Year 1 Russo was a rs. fr and Collins was making a decision between guys who had little or no game experience and only had a spring to evaluate. Year 2 he started the guy who finished the previous year strong. There's really no guarantee that Russo as a freshman would have been the best option.

This year he is again picking between guys who have very little experience, and all of whom were recruited for a different system. He started the only guy who had significant experience and whose skillset fits in with the strength of the team the best.

Milwaukee

Banned
47E90F52-8442-40E9-8D5B-1B03723D7BCF.gif

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

bueller bueller

That was the case in his 2nd year at Temple. Losses to Villanova and Buffalo last year to start the season. Went on a 8-2 run after that but those are 2 bad losses. I can only imagine how much people would be freaking out around here if we lost to a Villanova caliber team. Hopefully we don't find out.

But they gave an undefeated UCF all they could handle later in the season and beat Houston and USF after that. CGC isn't going anywhere for a while (barring catastrophic circumstances) so as long as he's not starting slow in year 3 I just want to see improvement and development throughout the season. Hopefully a bowl so we can get even more practices in.

So I am going to put this here instead of creating a new thread. Pro Style offense. I have asked this several times, what is it. After watching 3 quarters of the Bears and the Packers if that is Pro style, we will lose 12 games running those offenses in College. Everybody runs a spread attack in college with most a run heavy option attack. There are those that pass a lot. Washington ST. Texas Tech. But they have their limits. We can say that the CPJ spread has its limits but lets see what happens with Army this weekend. It is probably the case that for us we should be a 65% run 35% pass as historically this has been a good combination as we have never had a QB that was a pure passer. Godsey may have been the closest to that.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Too small sample size to make a judgment like that.

I agree so far on that.

Year 1 Russo was a rs. fr and Collins was making a decision between guys who had little or no game experience and only had a spring to evaluate. Year 2 he started the guy who finished the previous year strong. There's really no guarantee that Russo as a freshman would have been the best option.

This year he is again picking between guys who have very little experience, and all of whom were recruited for a different system. He started the only guy who had significant experience and whose skillset fits in with the strength of the team the best.

To be clear, I don't know if he is a slow starter yet or not, but I can see where that conclusion could be drawn.

Clemson wasn't as bad as it looked in my opinion, just very costly mistakes. Same mistakes in most games wouldn't have had the same result

Honestly, how I feel will likely be more impacted by our performance this weekend, which I expect to be strong.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
So I am going to put this here instead of creating a new thread. Pro Style offense. I have asked this several times, what is it. After watching 3 quarters of the Bears and the Packers if that is Pro style, we will lose 12 games running those offenses in College. Everybody runs a spread attack in college with most a run heavy option attack. There are those that pass a lot. Washington ST. Texas Tech. But they have their limits. We can say that the CPJ spread has its limits but lets see what happens with Army this weekend. It is probably the case that for us we should be a 65% run 35% pass as historically this has been a good combination as we have never had a QB that was a pure passer. Godsey may have been the closest to that.

Truly, a pro style uses bigger bodies at H and Y , fullback and TE, and will form multiples at the line such as jumbo sets etc where they put up 6,7, or even 8 acting linemen. Spread is what Collins, or better yet, PNode, runs. More option/read plays from shotgun. However he wants big bodies and continually talks about being multiple. So, while everyone will not agree, we will be running a combo or hybrid of sorts, like most college teams.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

For our purposes, "pro style" is an open and vague term that means "not the triple option". It means players will develop skills that translate to the pros. OL will pass block, QBs will pass a good amount, WRs will run routes and catch passes. What the playbook actually looks like will change year to year based on personnel. So there wilk be plenty of option and running this year. Eventually, we will want to have a pretty balanced offense. But its "player based" as in we aren't tied to a specific scheme.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
For our purposes, "pro style" is an open and vague term that means "not the triple option". It means players will develop skills that translate to the pros. OL will pass block, QBs will pass a good amount, WRs will run routes and catch passes. What the playbook actually looks like will change year to year based on personnel. So there wilk be plenty of option and running this year. Eventually, we will want to have a pretty balanced offense. But its "player based" as in we aren't tied to a specific scheme.
Best explanation yet. This is absolutely what people are missing. They keep worrying about the words spread vs pro, but what matters is skill development for the next level. I truly believe, based on Collins' way if talking, this is what he means by Pro Style.

Also, look at the ATL charts released, he calls it a spread pro style so it is what it is...

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day, the NFL offenses scheme to get their best players the ball in optimal situations. If the staff thinks the best way of beating an opponent is running Mason and Oliver 35+ times a game, that’s what they’ll do. If they think running slants with Brown and Blancato all day is the best move, they’ll do that. NFL teams, while they have their bread and butter, scheme based off their opponent. I don’t see why people aren’t getting that.

Edit: maybe some here only watch college football and that could be the confusion behind what NFL teams do.

SJBryan

Georgia Tech Fan
Let me try and break it down for everyone in an understanding form and it hurts me to say this but -

We’re trying to change our Offense to a more modern College style with High School Players. High School Players that have been taught a certain way for a long time, probably back to middle school. Imagine this, would if on your job, you’ve had a desk job sitting all day for say 8 years and then all of a sudden, the Company changes, your job is dissolved and your next jon requires you to stand all day - think that’s easy? Only one of you, think about 85+, think about only 6-8 months to make a difference and Oh Yeah, your first chance to prove or challenge is against the Company best with them doing the job for 10-12 years. Give the man a chance, after watching every snap of the Clemson game I came away with this- it’s not going to be as bad as they said. Some of the problems are easy fixes, some not. We have very winnable games coming up, enjoy the ride.

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Strange to me that we haven't been able to differentiate between 3 quarterbacks in 8 months, or whatever. I wouldnt qualify losing to Clemson as a slow start, just a matter lf scheduling

You can’t differentiate because those 3 QBs have ZERO game experience in this system. You have no idea what you have until the lights come on and it’s game speed. Some QBs are awesome at practice but can’t get it together during a game. And vice versa for others. It would be a complete disservice to take 3 equally inexperienced QBs and pick one without knowing how each of them operate during a game.

I don’t know why this is so hard for some of you to grasp.

I’ll flip this around, if they did pick one QB to play, you would probably be saying “why aren’t we seeing what the backup can do?”

Animal02

Banned
You can’t differentiate because those 3 QBs have ZERO game experience in this system. You have no idea what you have until the lights come on and it’s game speed. Some QBs are awesome at practice but can’t get it together during a game. And vice versa for others. It would be a complete disservice to take 3 equally inexperienced QBs and pick one without knowing how each of them operate during a game.

I don’t know why this is so hard for some of you to grasp.

I’ll flip this around, if they did pick one QB to play, you would probably be saying “why aren’t we seeing what the backup can do?”
Pretty sad that you believe and excuse a head coach paid millions to make decisions cannot make such determinations after multiple weeks of practice and needs a couple of dozen plays for the light bulb to come on.