Film Room Slow Motion Video GT v WF 2017

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
At 7 mins (the glove play) there are 2 unblocked defenders in the edge. I don't know where the issue was on the mesh, but I do think think it was a triple option play. Based on the first unblocked defenders shoulders, I think the give was the correct read. I guess with the tight alignment of the WR, the 2 unblocked defenders are the OLB and the corner instead of the typical DE and OLB?

Really interesting wrinkle that I'm not used to seeing (or may have just missed in the past).

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't sure why when watching it live but I noticed we brought the receiver from the field side in tight. Watching this, I realized it's because that forces the Taco Bell back to being balanced.

On the passing plays, I definitely think we could benefit greatly from trying to hug technique, at least for the OT's. With our massive line splits, the OTs are really on an island against the DEs, AND are further handicapped by starting out in a 3 point stance versus being upright. Anything to help them is a good thing.

I do notice that Benson has great patience and vision, but sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes it's not. There are lots of plays where if he doesn't step left or right he's going to run into the back of a blocker and it will minimize the gain. But there are also several where the hole is there and he misses the window because he's not full speed. Usually, our BBs have the opposite problem in that it takes them a 6-8 games of starting to finally see that little side step. Benson almost always has enough leverage and drive to force 3 yards even through a tackle when he misses window, so it works out.

I have been impressed before with how hard our line's job is, but man it really hit me this video. That TD by Howard where you get to see from the defensive backfield: Cooper has to snap the ball, fire out super low and chip the 1 technique long enough for the backside OT to scoop, and then on hands and feet and with a guy on top of him, has to make it out to get contact on the MLB. That is outrageously physical and impressive. AND! He never gets a substitution! It's rough in there.

I would like to see our A backs mix up their blocking a little bit. All season I've seen DBs fight through the cut blocks a lot better than in the past. I'm not sure if the ABs need to commit to the cut later, or if they need to aim higher. Or maybe even expect the DBs hands and club them down as they come in so they can get more into the body.

Taquon is making the right reads at a very high level. Impressed with his level or play. Loved seeing him hit that quick pull and pitch on the 5 man front on the second time they ran the play. He's just gonna get better and better. Only place he can really make big strides is in seeing the field during passes.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One thing I noticed is that Cottrell is definitely a speed/sprint guy to the corners.He doesn't not have the put-foot-in-ground-cutting ability of other abacks.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One thing I noticed is that Cottrell is definitely a speed/sprint guy to the corners.He doesn't not have the put-foot-in-ground-cutting ability of other abacks.

Does the double negative correctly communicate your point?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We beat the offset alignment much more easily against Wake than against Miami. I suspect we wont see much more of it (although, I think CPJ has something up his sleeve if VPISU, Clemson or uGA try it).

They had a hyper-active back-side safety who sprinted across the entire field to stop the triple so we ran that devastating reverse and the QB keeper-counter. Both of those plays attacked the empty part of the field where the safety was supposed to be.

We still need another couple more plays in our playbook to beat the best teams remaining on our schedule which might include:
* mid-line
* smoke route (seems to always be open)
* belly series (devastating in the Orange Bowl)
* a-back seam pass (effective vs. uGA last year)

/

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Does the double negative correctly communicate your point?

my guess almost anything is a double negative to you if it somehow does not jive with what you think--but here goes--he is a fast back to corner but I don't expect him to do an across the grain cut like Qua to the house

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
my guess almost anything is a double negative to you if it somehow does not jive with what you think--but here goes--he is a fast back to corner but I don't expect him to do an across the grain cut like Qua to the house

I replied to a post that said, "he doesn't not have," which is the same as saying "he does not not have," hence a double negative (2 not's). Since it seemed possible that it was a typo (as this response clarifies), I asked a sincere question.

I appreciate that the tone of your response may simply reflect a monthly cycle, so no hard feelings.