Slow motion video GT v Pitt

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks again for this breakdown.

I'm not saying it should have been called, but the hit on JT on the second pass play (~4:40 mark)...anyone think that could have been targeting?

It looks like helmet to helmet contact.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks again for this breakdown.

I'm not saying it should have been called, but the hit on JT on the second pass play (~4:40 mark)...anyone think that could have been targeting?

It looks like helmet to helmet contact.

I am not trying to be a smart @$$ but I never like to dissect games for missed or blown calls by the refs. Nothing good comes of it...and besides, there are no telling how many mistakes get made in the course of a game.As the ol' coaching cliche says, "focus only on things that we can control".

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not trying to be a smart @$$ but I never like to dissect games for missed or blown calls by the refs. Nothing good comes of it...and besides, there are no telling how many mistakes get made in the course of a game.As the ol' coaching cliche says, "focus only on things that we can control".
I don't disagree. I was more interested as to whether or not that hit could be considered targeting. I have no problem with the non-call. It's just that this particular penalty is so severe that I'm always interested as to what could or should be called. FWIW, as I re-watched the play I think the DL first made contact with his hands then the helmet to helmet contact follows...I'm not sure if that is grounds for a penalty or not.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thanks.
Watching this it becomes real that there is at least one big mistake is made by us on almost every play.
Willis in 2 straight plays either missed block or made mistake on guy.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
On the busted TO play at the end of first drive (~24:00 mark) we leave 3 of the 4 d-linemen totally unblocked. Not chipped, nothing...yikes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On the 4th down play---BURDEN a SENIOR passed up a 310 lb DT that made the tackle.NO excuse.
Sure woukd be great if coach had a weekly tv show so he could comment on this. It happened in gsu as well.
20161008_212033.jpg

Note that others are not moving at snap (besides mills). .

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been away this past month & just got caught up on GT football. . . man that Pitt game was a heartbreaker.

Can someone tell me why Shamire seemed to be benched after the 2nd quarter? Was he injured? If he was in on that 4th & 1, I'm confident GT picks up the first down. He's our best lineman, period. #6 was a big dude & Shamire seemed to handle him whenever he was in. I don't get it, unless there was an injury.

So many "jump ball" plays went Pitts way. I like this GT team though. There are some really good players. here's to the 2nd half the season.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DeVine starts to slow as the game progresses. He is a big dude. When you slow down, you have trouble getting off the snap quick and you lose push. Also he did have a lingering injury.

The was not a wrong person issue. This was a split issue, a BB track issue, and I would say we needed a little more chip on 6 from the center (but the center was trying to get the LB that might have filled the "hole").

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
DeVine starts to slow as the game progresses. He is a big dude. When you slow down, you have trouble getting off the snap quick and you lose push. Also he did have a lingering injury.

The was not a wrong person issue. This was a split issue, a BB track issue, and I would say we needed a little more chip on 6 from the center (but the center was trying to get the LB that might have filled the "hole").

jumped the gun on the conclusion. thanks for the video upload.

Shamire did seem winded on that long drive in the 1st Quarter. But then Pitt went on a long drive & we ran the kick back & the next series i believe shamire was out. I only say this b/c if it's a matter of only conditioning, then perhaps we could manage Shamire more efficently.

Pitt's DTs looked good on first take. Also, the DE on our first offensive play had one of the best spin moves I've seen in a while (#5 maybe?).

alagold

Helluva Engineer

LD,
What Burden did we have done all yr with OL and backs--we PASS BY the obvious close guy and go after another with the idea (I guess) that we need downfield blocking for long runs.Well, it doesn't work-- A LOT. Especially in this case when we only needed a yd and knew they would come.Just foolish ,Very foolish.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The center normally chips the guy to help with the wide split issue for the guard. That is the guards block. I think a longer chip was in order, but I am no expert.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The center normally chips the guy to help with the wide split issue for the guard. That is the guards block. I think a longer chip was in order, but I am no expert.
My guess is that since we've had such a hard time getting to the MLB, we've made less effort with the chip on the LOS in order to have a better angle at the MLB who is actually the primary assignment. Somebody else is supposed to get that DT. I'm sure he's not supposed to be unblocked.