Film Room Slow Motion Video Break Down GT versus Mercer Part 2

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks! I guess we did a little better than I thought on offense. We just didn't get a lot of drives. So glad Cottrell finally got in!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thanks.I'm concerned that our OL blocking is disjointed a lot.Sometimes we let the first DL be semi-unblocked and he gets the runner from behind.Sometimes we have 2 OLs blocking the same guy.Then,the old favorite,how many Ols AND backs are diving at the feet of defenders. It seems at times we just need to hit the guy in nearest to you at point of attack and let the back deal with what left of defenders.

Milwaukee

Banned
Some of the tendencies are alarming. Groh called one of them out during the game and he was spot on.

When we motion the a-back straight across the formation it's either a speed option or flood routes.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Ooh I didn't catch that, that's a nice wrinkle. Where is that in the video, as far as minutes?

I plan on watching the entire replay tonight.
I don't remember when all I remember is the play by play guy trying to apply Groh's ticks and coming up with "Well that time it wasn't as the jackets pick up..."

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Some of the tendencies are alarming. Groh called one of them out during the game and he was spot on.

When we motion the a-back straight across the formation it's either a speed option or flood routes.

Because we had a numbers advantage versus their defensive alignment when we did the flat motion across, hence why we kept gaining yards despite the tendency.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Because we had a numbers advantage versus their defensive alignment when we did the flat motion across, hence why we kept gaining yards despite the tendency.

Do you know what's going on with seemingly leaving both playside tackle and playside de unblocked? It's happened on both left and right.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you know what's going on with seemingly leaving both playside tackle and playside de unblocked? It's happened on both left and right.
It's because they are 1 and 2 in the counting system. You start counting 4i, inside shoulder of the tackle, and out. 1 and 2 you leave unblocked. One is the dive read and the other is the pitch read. Number 3 is blocked by the A back. That is why CPJ said last that we could not count to 3 last week vs BC in the post game. It gets more complicated with stacks and stunts but that is the basics of it.

Milwaukee

Banned

Not just this video Stylee, Groh was indicating that it's the case all the time within the offense. I'm looking through videos now to confirm or deny those statements.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Just watched the replay again, there were no counters from straight motion. Groh was correct.

I'm gonna check out the BC video again as well.

Paul Johnson be like, O yeah, you can TOTALLY count on that as a tendency. Yep, play it the same way every time.... Heh heh heh

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The A back running across can be a pass or option or counter... same as normal motioning A-back. If he makes it too far across before the snap you know it is a pass. That did happen one time.

I am so surprised at the amount CPJ has installed this early in the season.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Just watched the replay again, there were no counters from straight motion. Groh was correct.

I'm gonna check out the BC video again as well.
A counter we have used on this motion, rip or liz, in the past is g counter option to the b back. The last time I saw it was when Dwyer was here then again we don't use rip or liz that much.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Thanks @Longestday
I don't know if you realize, but you skipped over the best drive of the day. We scored 21 in the first half. Do you mind looking at that drive if you get the chance?
Burden seems the have the toughest job on the line. He has to get out and block linebackers in space. He missed some blocks but made some too.
Not the best competition, but the combination of this game and watching UMass get stuffed by BC, shows me we have a pretty good offense.
If we can block a tiny bit better on OL and perimeter, we will be special.