Film Room Slow Motion Video Break Down GT versus Clemson

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with longest day and others in that it seems more of a commitment to middle running game early would be great. Of course this is mindless fan analysis but seems like it would be better to just commit to interior called running early (dives, off tackle dive, counter dive, qb follow etc) to keep linebackers and safeties honest and then start hitting them with the option game once they are sucked back inside. I don't think the dive read on the TO is sufficient to keep really athletic defenses honest early because the linebackers / safeties are flowing outside so hard early, and are so fast, we can't consistently block them. This isn't a knock on the OL. I think the OL really is athletic after watching the slow motion analysis but I don't think it is physically possible for them to consistently execute second level blocks unless the second level defenders are forced to stay home more because of threat of inside running game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Never as good or bad as it seems...

This should be finished uploading by 8:30 PM Sunday Night

Great job as always. Still, that first play bothered me. The OL looks like a triple option (we block the belly option--where the B-Back fakes a mesh and blocks a LB differently). However, because the DE is lined up at 4i (like a cross-charging LB sometimes), the typical QB move should be to pull-pitch really quickly, which JT didn't do. Then, in the post-game press-conference, CPJ said that they had planned on blocking the read key. I'm thinking that that's supposed to be a down block from the RT, which wasn't even attempted. This also may explain why DM was going wider -- aiming off-tackle rather than the normal inside track.

This strikes me as an example of the sort of problems we as fans have in assessing our offense. Without knowing what the play-calls and blocking assignments were, we don't know where the problems rest.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In another play Marshall blocks the read key, but then Mills did not go wide to block the LB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In another play Marshall blocks the read key, but then Mills did not go wide to block the LB.

I don't understand the second half of this. It could be that Mills was supposed to block him in that first play. In the postgame, cpj said "ducked his head ..." so I thought OL. But on radio show ... CPJ just said it was Mills

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Mills was supposed to block. But I do know the play where the OT blocks the DE and then the BB blocks the MLB.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand the second half of this. It could be that Mills was supposed to block him in that first play. In the postgame, cpj said "ducked his head ..." so I thought OL. But on radio show ... CPJ just said it was Mills

It's both. It's a double option designed to give Justin a chance to run or to pitch. Basically, triple option with a cowboy tag which means the B-Back is supposed to block the read key. To be honest, even if Mills had gotten him the play would've blown up as the playside A-Back missed (like ... completely) his block on the corner.

This is what it's supposed to look like (oh, the irony in the opponent):

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's both. It's a double option designed to give Justin a chance to run or to pitch. Basically, triple option with a cowboy tag which means the B-Back is supposed to block the read key. To be honest, even if Mills had gotten him the play would've blown up as the playside A-Back missed (like ... completely) his block on the corner.

This is what it's supposed to look like (oh, the irony in the opponent):

The big difference in this play is what the Clemson corner and safety are doing. They're both way off the LOS, the corner is backing up on the snap, not firing into the backfield. The Aback, Allen, blocks the safety, while Bay Bay blocks the corner who basically took himself out the play, Bay Bay didn't have to do much at all.

Amazing what a legitimate downfield passing threat can do for this O.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for posting this. I was curious how the film would break down. Probably has been stated before but our Oline blocking on the second level was bad. They are diving at the LBs legs and whiffing a majority of the time. Really should just get in the way. It's really head scratching. I have a feeling especially after the clemson game this will get cleaned up this week.

Deleted member 2897

I would encourage people to watch this film. Clemson has great speed, pursuit, and ability to defeat tackles. However, you will clearly see mis-reads and missed assignments on most plays that go nowhere. The difference between an Alcorn State and Clemson is we can do this and still beat the 1 or 2 men left in space. Against Clemson, those guys will make those tackles. We can be competitive if we just do our job.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I might have missed these videos this season, but I find them to be extremely informative and educational. Has our friend Longestday been doing them and I've just missed them?

I know how the offense is supposed to work but is still hard at times to determine in real time whether someone missed a read or a block. These slow motion efforts make it all clear what happened on a play and show that most of the time, CPJ does in fact know what he's talking about when he says we aren't far away from being really good.

For example, many here are clamoring for Oliver to replace Marshall after the performance at uSF where Oliver led 3 TD drives in a row. If you watched the plays he ran, there were no triples and very few double options called. CPJ knows TO isn't ready to make those plays and he didn't call them. Most of the plays were called keeps by the QB and the blocking was much more straight forward. Our guys didn't have to switch up, get the counts right, release this guy, option that guy, etc. It was straight forward blocking and it worked because uSF didn't expect it. They eventually figured out that we had simplified and we wound up in 3rd and long where TM came back to throw for the first down.

TLDR - Can Longestday post these updates again this year? They're great to show what's really going on.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I might have missed these videos this season, but I find them to be extremely informative and educational. Has our friend Longestday been doing them and I've just missed them?

I know how the offense is supposed to work but is still hard at times to determine in real time whether someone missed a read or a block. These slow motion efforts make it all clear what happened on a play and show that most of the time, CPJ does in fact know what he's talking about when he says we aren't far away from being really good.

For example, many here are clamoring for Oliver to replace Marshall after the performance at uSF where Oliver led 3 TD drives in a row. If you watched the plays he ran, there were no triples and very few double options called. CPJ knows TO isn't ready to make those plays and he didn't call them. Most of the plays were called keeps by the QB and the blocking was much more straight forward. Our guys didn't have to switch up, get the counts right, release this guy, option that guy, etc. It was straight forward blocking and it worked because uSF didn't expect it. They eventually figured out that we had simplified and we wound up in 3rd and long where TM came back to throw for the first down.

TLDR - Can Longestday post these updates again this year? They're great to show what's really going on.

If you click on the "Film Room" tab, you should see most of what he's done, and others.