Slow Motion Option Videos

Kcsunshine

Georgia Tech Fan
Watch the 3rd and 1 play at 2:55 mark. I have no idea what Bailey is doing. He brushes the def end and runs upfield with noBody else to block. They aren't sustaining blocks long enough. Way too much penetration on pretty much every play. This doesn't look like an experienced Oline to me . They looked overmatched.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
10 plays made at least decent positive yards. 5 plays blew up. At least 2 of the 5 were blocking issues.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The play at 3:40...either Waller or Bostic missed the blocking scheme. Waller blocks the DB and Bostic goes to block the same guy. This leaves the CB completely unblocked.

ToddM

In my view this is the only valid problem with running the offense we do. You have to have very focused players. Everyone always says that to stop this offense you have to play assignment football, the opposite is more applicable.

If these players know who to block, stay persistent in their block and understand where to block ( on the defenders body ) at a given time nobody would stop Tech.

When i say where to block, I mean that they have to understand that although cutting is the scheme you can't dive at someone's legs who is sidestepping or jumping. You have to adjust your blocking tech at times. If you watch this video you will see what I am saying. Some OL guys just dive at the toes, they miss because of that and the play is blown up.

That is where I would agree in any CPJ critiquing. Shaq may be good but after a game of this, he would sit until he got it figured out.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Their DT was a monster, we continue let him run free and tried to option him. He would take both Vad and the pitch. There were many big plays we left on the field.

Kudos to their D-line, but our issues were definitely self-inflicted

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Thanks for the vid LD. Haven't watched them because I'm traveling. How do you know if a dive is a called one or read? Are the called ones where the BB cuts at the a-gap and runs up the b-gap?

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching that it just firms up my opinion that either Vad is uncomfortable making the pitch or is missing something in the pitch read that he needs to start getting. There were probably 5-6 plays that he got tackled for a loss or short gain that it appears if he pitched it we would have gone for a large gain. The play at 3:14 is especially bad, he fails to follow his blocker, if he had done this the pichman (Godhigh) had all day in front of him.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CPJ said before that the players have an option to cut or just straight up block. Anyone know if this is true for offensive linemen? Some of our OL guys are trying to cut linebackers and whiffing on them. I would think if they just blocked them on standing, they would have had a better shot.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CPJ said before that the players have an option to cut or just straight up block. Anyone know if this is true for offensive linemen? Some of our OL guys are trying to cut linebackers and whiffing on them. I would think if they just blocked them on standing, they would have had a better shot.
At the 3:50 mark on the counter option play. The pulling guard just falls to the ground next the the LB that makes the play.

I have to say this though, VTs defense was very disciplined on the counters. Typically I see other teams fall for the counter as our QB turns his shoulder then have to cut back the other way but their LBs just stayed put and waited for the play to unfold before moving.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Smelter makes a nice crackback on a completely unsuspecting player. Not really that impressive considering the guy never saw him coming.

Now look at Mason (70) and Beno (64). Both guys completely whiff on their assigned targets. That is what is hard about our O. EVERYBODY has to block his guy for the play to work. The qb also has to make the correct read and pitch/keep decision. If all this happens at the proper speed and angle, the play can go to the house. If one part goes awry, it can get blown up in the backfield.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
No one has dealt with this much or at all since most seemed to expect our offense to simply perform better but . . . the short turnaround may have really impacted the timing and synchronicity of the OL and offense in general.

I know I was really concerned that the injuries on the Defense was going to be a big story for a 5-day turnaround after the UNC game. Maybe we need to just accept that the real impact was on the speed and focus of our big guys on offense. The VT defense is always so hungry and so focused on playing us and practice for it year-round basically. I think some of these missed assignments were linemen just not having the burst and gas at the snap to get into proper position. Being late arriving also encourages "flop" blocking. Having to go less game speed at practice in a short week may have just hurt an offense where everyone is still getting used to each other's timing as well.

No one aspect exists in a vacuum.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Smelter makes a nice crackback on a completely unsuspecting player. Not really that impressive considering the guy never saw him coming.

Now look at Mason (70) and Beno (64). Both guys completely whiff on their assigned targets. That is what is hard about our O. EVERYBODY has to block his guy for the play to work. The qb also has to make the correct read and pitch/keep decision. If all this happens at the proper speed and angle, the play can go to the house. If one part goes awry, it can get blown up in the backfield.
If you go back and watch Nesbitt's game winning td run against the Hokies that is exactly what you see. Melton cracked back on Kam Chancellor, Marcus Wright locked on the corner and Sellers (LT) locked up the LB and drove him back. The lone unblocked defender leaned toward Roddy and Nez did the rest. Sellers blocked his guy straight up. If Wright misses on the corner it's 2 vs 2. If Sellers misses his guy it's a short gain. Melton's crack back was the easiest of the 3 because Kam's eyes are on Nez.

Last edited: