Slow mo replay offense GT vs Clemson

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Perfect D scheme vs GT if you're Clemson or any other factory:
a) shut down interior runs with just the DL
b) shut down edge runs with LB's and safeties flying to playside
c) shut down passing game with man coverage corners.
d) occasionally mix up coverage with shooting the corner and dropping a safety.
e) send an edge blitzer on obvious passing downs, nobody will take him.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is pretty much the formula ESPECIALLY if you have the jimmies and Joes to execute

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Perfect scheme against ANY offense but I get what you're saying.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Perfect scheme against ANY offense but I get what you're saying.
Most teams don't have the personnel to do a.
Because of that, they cannot afford to do b.
c is just way too easy for most teams and is a huge liability for us.
d is something all teams do.
e is something that should be preventable in max protect.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll sum it up for longestday..."and on this play we didn't block anybody."

It's pretty sad ... but it's the truth.

One nugget from the post-game presser was PJ saying that there weren't any adjustments to make at halftime, we just had to block guys.

I want to make one thing very clear (and this is just my opinion and feeling): Clemson is very, very good. Let's not kid ourselves here and go, "GEEZ WE SUCK SEWAK SUCKS OUR OL SUCKS JUSTIN SUCKS EVERYTHING SUCKS WE SUCK." We played poorly. We can get better. But sometimes the guy lined up across from you is just better, so much so that you end up looking not so good.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
It's pretty sad ... but it's the truth.

One nugget from the post-game presser was PJ saying that there weren't any adjustments to make at halftime, we just had to block guys.

I want to make one thing very clear (and this is just my opinion and feeling): Clemson is very, very good. Let's not kid ourselves here and go, "GEEZ WE SUCK SEWAK SUCKS OUR OL SUCKS JUSTIN SUCKS EVERYTHING SUCKS WE SUCK." We played poorly. We can get better. But sometimes the guy lined up across from you is just better, so much so that you end up looking not so good.

Then, it should become apparent to CPJ he asks way too much of his OL against the bigger, better DL we face. He needs to recognize that and adjust. I'm getting sick and tired of listening to him go on and on about missed or blown assignments with regards to the OL whenever we get our face smashed in. He's openly criticized Wommack and Groh in the past about making things so friggin complicated the kids can't execute. Well, CPJ, why are you making things so difficult for the OL that they can't do their job with an sort reliable success against the better defense you face? It's garbage coaching.

Listen to his post game press conference. He gave the ol tip of the cap to the Clemson D about manhandling us and then went right into the same "well, we turned the wrong guy loose here", "didn't execute", "missed assignment", etc. mantra.

It's getting to be annoying hearing that week after week after week. Recruit better, coach better, or put the kids in a better position to have a chance at success.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Then, it should become apparent to CPJ he asks way too much of his OL against the bigger, better DL we face. He needs to recognize that and adjust. I'm getting sick and tired of listening to him go on and on about missed or blown assignments with regards to the OL whenever we get our face smashed in. He's openly criticized Wommack and Groh in the past about making things so friggin complicated the kids can't execute. Well, CPJ, why are you making things so difficult for the OL that they can't do their job with an sort reliable success against the better defense you face? It's garbage coaching.

Listen to his post game press conference. He gave the ol tip of the cap to the Clemson D about manhandling us and then went right into the same "well, we turned the wrong guy loose here", "didn't execute", "missed assignment", etc. mantra.

It's getting to be annoying hearing that week after week after week. Recruit better, coach better, or put the kids in a better position to have a chance at success.

Fwiw, you might want to re-listen to the pres conference yourself. When he talked about turning the wrong guy loose and not executing etc, he went on to say that you just can't do that against these really good defenses etc. I think it's important to remember that he has also talked about us not performing very well against Alcorn State and Tulane-- but we got away with it.

I appreciate your frustration, but I still think it's important to remember that the offense has averaged the #6 most efficient offense in scoring points against power 5 opponents over CPJ's tenure. Suggesting that we need an overhaul in scheme etc seems short-sighted, imo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It was worse than that. They shut down the edge alot with their de. It was a disaster. And its not all talent. Some of it is.....

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Fwiw, you might want to re-listen to the pres conference yourself. When he talked about turning the wrong guy loose and not executing etc, he went on to say that you just can't do that against these really good defenses etc. I think it's important to remember that he has also talked about us not performing very well against Alcorn State and Tulane-- but we got away with it.

I appreciate your frustration, but I still think it's important to remember that the offense has averaged the #6 most efficient offense in scoring points against power 5 opponents over CPJ's tenure. Suggesting that we need an overhaul in scheme etc seems short-sighted, imo.

Fair points. I'm not saying or suggesting I want a complete over-haul of the scheme. I love the scheme. I love the offense. It's exciting to watch in my opinion. It's won us a lot of big, important games. My point is the "story" as told to us by CPJ himself after most games (or during the coach's shows) is that the OL is screwing up big time. At this point, it's an 8 year running theme it seems to me. Maybe it's coach speak and a way to explain to the masses in layman's terms why things didn't look or turn out well, which is fine I guess.

However, it boils down for me, if the OL can't make their assignments against Alcorn St, Tulane, or Mercer, why do we ask them to accomplish those same assignments vs the cream of the crop defenses? I could live with it if the story from CPJ last night was flat out - we got our mouth smashed in - but it wasn't. It was the missed assignment crap...again.

He's been here 8 years. He even has said the OL is given too much credit for the '14 success. They had their problems with assignments, too. Now, over those 8 years, we've had extreme highs and extreme lows as far as seasons go. The constant from him is griping or having issue with the OL. Does he just have unreasonable expectations and that boils over as comments in press conferences and radio shows, or does he ask far too much from the OL to execute properly on a consistent basis?

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fair points. I'm not saying or suggesting I want a complete over-haul of the scheme. I love the scheme. I love the offense. It's exciting to watch in my opinion. It's won us a lot of big, important games. My point is the "story" as told to us by CPJ himself after most games (or during the coach's shows) is that the OL is screwing up big time. At this point, it's an 8 year running theme it seems to me. Maybe it's coach speak and a way to explain to the masses in layman's terms why things didn't look or turn out well, which is fine I guess.

However, it boils down for me, if the OL can't make their assignments against Alcorn St, Tulane, or Mercer, why do we ask them to accomplish those same assignments vs the cream of the crop defenses? I could live with it if the story from CPJ last night was flat out - we got our mouth smashed in - but it wasn't. It was the missed assignment crap...again.

He's been here 8 years. He even has said the OL is given too much credit for the '14 success. They had their problems with assignments, too. Now, over those 8 years, we've had extreme highs and extreme lows as far as seasons go. The constant from him is griping or having issue with the OL. Does he just have unreasonable expectations and that boils over as comments in press conferences and radio shows, or does he ask far too much from the OL to execute properly on a consistent basis?

I think he just tells the truth.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he just tells the truth.

I appreciate his candor; otherwise, I wouldn't have the slightest clue what's wrong. As you indicated, my frustration is building because he continuously acknowledges and is upfront with us about the OL unable to ever play consistently as a strength to the team game to game let alone season to season. It puzzles me he's yet to acknowledge or provide any semblance of a fix or change to correct any of it.