sleeves, I don't get it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm watching UCLA vs K State and I see all these guys wearing sleeves that go half way up their bicept. Why? Why not just wear a long sleeve shirt? They must be wearing undershirts, right? That means they have a 4 inch section of upper arm exposed. WTF? Can someone please explain the insanity?

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
It's just a look the players are into these days. They wear it as an accessory, or "swagger" as it is known these days.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The compression sleeves are marketed for their ability to "keep muscles warm, and loose" and "for quick muscle recovery".......do they work at all? No idea. Never touched one.....but doubt it.

Prosushi

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not a doctor, but i do coach and play tennis. I can tell a difference with compression on legs and knees as opposed to no compression.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It's 100% a turf thing. My baseball players wear them when we have to play on turf because diving on turf will put some serious carpet burn on the underside of your arms.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Abrasion protection is marketed as an acillary benefit of the sleeve. I'm not saying they don't work for that....that benefit seems more apparent than the muscle warming but that's not what they are "selling" them as.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
The compression sleeve look started in basketball and has spread to football and baseball. Allen Iverson wore one, and Trady McGrady wore one on his leg because he thought it looked cool. Jason Heyward and Jordan Schafer both wear an arm sleeve, as does RGIII. Oh, and Justin Thomas.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wear compression under shorts and compression undershirts during the winter for soccer. HUGE difference in terms of keeping muscles warm as opposed to just another t-shirt for a layer...though never wore just a compression arm sleeve. As some have said, I could see where players are using it from getting turf burn. I play on various turf field across the state for soccer and flag football...and falling down on it SUCKS when your skin is exposed.