Sjolund to (not) transfer

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed inevitable that Sjolund would transfer after being asked to redshirt. Not sure where to, but he will be leaving Tech. Would have been good for the future.

slugboy

Staff member
Good luck to him. I thought he was going to be key next year and afterwards here
(Moved to main basketball board)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sheesh. He needed seasoning so I got the redshirting. However, in this day and age, asking a guy to 'shirt after playing well in spots as a FR is ... daunting. And now we see why.

Of course, it could be that he was simply homesick or had some other issue which prompted the redshirt. Who knows.

Bottom line is this is more bad than good for GT which ... let's be honest, kinda describes the whole tenure but I'm not going too far down that round yet.

ETA: And turnover on @slugboy for putting this in the baseball board. It's ok, your asst/turnover ratio is still pristine.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well that sucks.

I wonder if there was some issue that he was trying to deal with that they thought redshirtting would help with and that when it wasn't resolved they decided transferring was the only way. Doubt we ever find out the truth.

Anyways, this hurt for more for the 21-22 season than next due to losing so many players, but it does open up the possibility of adding another recruit which could be nice.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I think I have come around to the fact that we are cursed... Something has gone wrong, somebody opened the mummy casket or stole the artifact or something in which the basketball gods have cursed us.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not quite seeing the problem here. Unless he was suddenly get a quickness injection he'll never play defense at an acceptable level. At most he was an off the bench designated shooter.

Now if Coach Corny can use that scholarship on someone better, we are better off in the long run.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is the story from the AJC - https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tech-sjolund-enters-transfer-portal/v4t7wHwXanQdBZs0KbIHGM/

I wonder if he may reconsider and possibly stay? I thought redshirting was a mutual decision to help him gain strength among things.

If he chooses not to stay, I wish the best for him at his next stop. I can definitely understand that he may want to play and may not see an opportunity for that even after the redshirt year. Playing short benches can impact ones thinking on this.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Another indicator that something doesn't feel right with the culture of the team. The recent benching activity with Banks. Pastner's level of enthusiasm seems to have plunged - he doesn't feel like an "energy giver" right now. Alvarado and Usher clearly have fire, energy and style of play to lift us out of this culture coma - I believe and hope before season fades away ... again.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Bright side is now there is room for a grad transfer big for next year that will spell Wright and give Saba a chance to work on his game/body a bit slower.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
after watching the syracuse game.... after watching cjp smile cavalierly during the post game interview.... its going to difficult for ME to get back to where i was support wise with pastner which WAS staunch.... why would anybody expect the players to feel any different?

somebody mentioned the possibility of issues within the team. lack of effort saturday sure seems to bear that out. this is starting to remind me of the bl era. i hope im dead wrong.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Before the season I thought Sjolund would fight for a starter role or be one of the first guys off the bench. This is disappointing especially considering he's one of the best shooters on the team. So weird he played as Freshman, but needs to gain weight to play as Sophomore.

Perhaps the staff challenged him to gain weight in the off-season and he simply didn't. Pure speculation. Either way, best of luck to him.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not quite seeing the problem here. Unless he was suddenly get a quickness injection he'll never play defense at an acceptable level. At most he was an off the bench designated shooter.

Now if Coach Corny can use that scholarship on someone better, we are better off in the long run.
THIS is the real story in my opinion. Opens up an important 'ship.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Before the season I thought Sjolund would fight for a starter role or be one of the first guys off the bench. This is disappointing especially considering he's one of the best shooters on the team. So weird he played as Freshman, but needs to gain weight to play as Sophomore.

Perhaps the staff challenged him to gain weight in the off-season and he simply didn't. Pure speculation. Either way, best of luck to him.
I believe that they it's been said that if they had known that Banks would be eligible last year then Sjoland would have redahirted then. Instead he played in one of the first couple games and that was no longer a possibility.
He can shoot and he doesn't seem to lack in confidence which is good. Hopefully he finds himself a good mid major where he'll make an impact potentially.

Deleted member 2897

I agree 100%. I mean, I have loyalty to any student athlete who comes here. I would rather they stay, work it out, and get their degree. But if he is deciding the best thing for him is to go somewhere else, then okay. I mean we haven't had a single game that I can think of in the last 2 years where we got material input from him in games. I mean no disrespect in that comment - I just mean to say he's at a position where we have plenty of coverage from people who are playing better than he is right now.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
CJP has said he would never ask a palyer to red shirt as he believes that is a player's personal decision with his own life and what he wants. I think the staff was probably honest with Sjolund regarding this year and beyond regarding playing time. Keeping those thoughts in mind, I see only good coming from this for both the player and our team.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow

THIS is the real story in my opinion. Opens up an important 'ship.

If that's the real story, then why did we offer him a scholarship and recruit him in the first place? He's exactly the guy we thought he'd be.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
somebody mentioned the possibility of issues within the team. lack of effort saturday sure seems to bear that out. this is starting to remind me of the bl era. i hope im dead wrong.

I think it's still early to feel this way, however, I can't blame you if you do. There's a stank in the air but we still have time to right things so I wouldn't tune up the Titanic band just yet.

Lastly, how come @ESPNjacket can get away with calling him 'Coach Corny"? :ROFLMAO: If I'd said that, folks would be all over me.

Then again, I'm nowhere near as cool as ESPNJ. Maybe one day. One day? :unsure: