Sinclair (Bally Sports) Facing Bankruptcy.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Creating a revenue stream and maximizing a revenue stream are two different things. They go under, those ACC games won't go un-aired. Someone else will pick them up and hopefully at a higher $$ amount.
My inexpertise may be showing here but if one company paid too much and the word on the street knows what that amount is (assuming), why would someone pay more?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don’t think Sinclair/Ballys going bankrupt is some referendum on the ACC or college sports. Live in metro Atlanta and had to jump through multiple hoops to watch Ballys content via espn by using vpn… most fans understandably just don’t care to put in that level of effort. If the games were easier to access, Bally would be in a better financial position.

My worry is does Ballys going bankrupt impact the ACC grant of rights and allows Clemson/FSU/Miami/UNC to leave the conference?
All they need is an valid excuse to legally tie up the left out un organized weakling who remain.

Justice in a matter like this is measured in decades.

As bad as the acc has looked recently we maybe getting strong hints from espn / accn.

I dont want a moral and $$ victory in 5 years when we are in Patriot league.

In court the Lawyers win big while the business loose hugh in LOST OPPORTUNITY COST.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps we can get a streaming deal with the new gambling business. Just an idea since they are going big into pro sports

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
they were going to launch their own subscription service for the Braves and Hawks. There is no reason they couldn't expand it to all of their professional teams and college sports. Then the trick becomes how to deliver it. If they kept it to reasonable rates, a lot of people would grumble but probably buyin. I am not sure when their contracts with Comcast and AT&T expire. They would have to estimate a small Carriage fee for large number of consumers vs. higher fees for smaller number of subscribers brings them more revenue. But since they have lost most of the streaming services, they obviously have to do something

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
You lawyer types help me out. Is the Ballys deal associated with the "iron clad" E$PN deal? And if so, wouldn't their bankruptcy cause a blow up of the deal and an immediate renegotiation of said deal? Which at that point, without a deal, schools would be able to join another conference?

Is this a blessing on many levels? Thankfully I'm Too Tall for someone to pi$$ on me and tell me its raining :beercheers:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would Sinclair/Bally's rights go back to the ACC and the League would just put it back up for auction? If that's the case, that may be a good thing because content for subscription services like Apple/Amazon/etc. who are getting into sports have shown they are willing to pay a premium for their venture into sports. You also have the old crew (CBS, FOX, etc) who may want to bid on it as well.

The problem is the interim...will the ACC get paid? If not, that hurts GT's bottom line. I know everyone wants to hate on Bally, and for VERY good reason, but cutting our nose off to spite our face doesn't help us in the long run.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
There was an article a few months ago saying if the Diamond Group goes to bankruptcy one or more of the major leagues may buy the whole group.

slugboy

Staff member
You lawyer types help me out. Is the Ballys deal associated with the "iron clad" E$PN deal? And if so, wouldn't their bankruptcy cause a blow up of the deal and an immediate renegotiation of said deal? Which at that point, without a deal, schools would be able to join another conference?

Is this a blessing on many levels? Thankfully I'm Too Tall for someone to pi$$ on me and tell me its raining :beercheers:
Grant of rights is between the member schools and the ACC. This is the other end of the pipeline. Separate contracts.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Grant of rights is between the member schools and the ACC. This is the other end of the pipeline. Separate contracts.
Ok. I was under the assumption that the GOR was based on TV deals and if the TV deal is broken or re-negotiated, it freed up the schools. Thanks for the correction.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Up here in RTP several of our games will be listed on ACCN Extra but are then blacked out. Then actually shown on Bally Sports South instead.

slugboy

Staff member

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
I could never get Bally sports through Hulu or ESPN since I mainly steam so brave and tech away games were out for me

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I could never get Bally sports through Hulu or ESPN since I mainly steam so brave and tech away games were out for me

Same. I literally switched to Hulu for that purpose cause they had it and 2 weeks later they left.

So I'd reached my point of no more chasing service to service with them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All they need is an valid excuse to legally tie up the left out un organized weakling who remain.

Justice in a matter like this is measured in decades.

As bad as the acc has looked recently we maybe getting strong hints from espn / accn.

I dont want a moral and $$ victory in 5 years when we are in Patriot league.

In court the Lawyers win big while the business loose hugh in LOST OPPORTUNITY COST.
I wish you cared enough to re-read and edit your posts before you hit post.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Sinclair has been hard to figure out for some time. I'd love to see their actual books, just once would be all it would take.

I doubt this will have much effect on Tech sports on tv. As was said above, someone will pick Tech up. How much is another story.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I apologize.

Your personal opinions are very well worded and gramically correct.

They express your thoughts and experience level.
LOL! No need to apologize. I think your opinions add tremendous value to the forum. I'm lazy; you make me work too hard to get that value sometimes.

I was being intentionally snarky but didn't mean it offensively. I struggle with emojis to show that I'm not really as serious as what I type portrays. Sorry.