Sims on game day vs practice

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yesterday morning I read a pregame writeup which said something about how Sims is making all kinds of throws he couldn't make last year. Quotes from his teammates all August would lead you to believe he was looking really good. Had he been missing receivers all August like he did last night I don't believe they would have been talking him up. It looks to me like he really has the talent, but he can't seem to throw the ball the same on game day as he does in practice. If Sims hits just a few of those wide open receivers in the first half, we'd be sulking about how sloppy we looked but we'd be 1-0. I sure don't know what the answer is, but if this is fixable we might at some point be competitive. Meanwhile, if Sims can't go next week, I will be curious to see what Yates looks like as the starter.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday morning I read a pregame writeup which said something about how Sims is making all kinds of throws he couldn't make last year. Quotes from his teammates all August would lead you to believe he was looking really good. Had he been missing receivers all August like he did last night I don't believe they would have been talking him up. It looks to me like he really has the talent, but he can't seem to throw the ball the same on game day as he does in practice. If Sims hits just a few of those wide open receivers in the first half, we'd be sulking about how sloppy we looked but we'd be 1-0. I sure don't know what the answer is, but if this is fixable we might at some point be competitive. Meanwhile, if Sims can't go next week, I will be curious to see what Yates looks like as the starter.

Noticed this too. The kid has talent, but all last year it was the same thing. He's got some pre game jitters it seems, and coaches need to figure out how to get him through this. If coaches want him to to be out guy, he needs to get this figured out. There is no reason that he can't , but if our backup QB can come in mentally ready time and time again vs our starter , something isn't right

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Before Jeff's injury I was thinking he oughtt to sit for a series or two just to calm him down. Was wondering if the staff was going to do it. He looked rattled. There were opportunities to extend drives and score points the the first part of the game that were squandered by inaccurate throws.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes that is true. But he was also frustrating as hell some games overthrowing wide open receivers and throwing the ball into the dirt.

Reggie would have gotten us a win last night. He was a gamer when he was on.
I thought Yates was a gamer last night he didn't lose the game that was on the coach ( but he loves the players may be s little less love and a slap on the helmet would work better )

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We continue to look unprepared mentally and have an inability to make necessary adjustments during the game- except at halftime. A little off topic, but we were continually getting whipped on both lines, by "lesser" talent. IMHO, that puts the jitters into JS and he loses his composure when the defenses he ( and the rest of the offense) are not seeing what they expected. That issue does not get addressed until half, IMO, and puts us into a hole. Just my 2 cents.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Before Jeff's injury I was thinking he ought to sit for a series or two just to calm him down. Was wondering if the staff was going to do it. He looked rattled. There were opportunities to extend drives and score points the the first part of the game that were squandered by inaccurate throws.
Like you, have seen this many times to (1) let the starter see what the opposing D is doing & (2) as a wake up call.

Just as there are "gamers," guys who don't practice well but seem to shine when you put people in the stands, there are just as many "practice players" who look great until the whistle sounds for real, then they get a giant case of the yips. Sims had a big time case of the yips last night. Whether Sims is Injured or not, Yates earned the starter's job last night based on performance. As for Sims' potential, there's an old axiom that defines "potential" as "Not having done a damned thing, yet."

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
There is a reason why Norvell pull Sims offer when he took the FSU job and I think everyone might be seeing why. I don’t think Sims has what it takes to beat teams with his arm and doesn’t give you enough with his legs to make up the difference.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes you can help a QB by giving him easy throws to start the game, swing passes, dump off throws, screen passes and short come back routes. The kid needs help setting down and seems to be feeling the pressure.
Most of the misses WERE easy throws to extremely wide open receivers. Carter was getting insane separation all night long. The play calling was working, we just couldn't manage to get the ball out on time and/or to the receiver. It's pathetic that NIU was in such soft coverage and we still couldn't

I don't want to see a coaching change yet, but the excuses are old and overplayed now. At what point do we have CGC's players here? Are we not there now?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Most of the misses WERE easy throws to extremely wide open receivers. Carter was getting insane separation all night long. The play calling was working, we just couldn't manage to get the ball out on time and/or to the receiver. It's pathetic that NIU was in such soft coverage and we still couldn't

I don't think any of Sim's misses were to Carter. I think one was to Gibbs, and I put that one on Gibbs instead of Sims but that's neither here nor there. I thought 3 were to McGowan. There was the deep on in the endzone where it looked like Sims tried to throw it to the open area and let McGowan run under it and just didn't get enough air. There was the one on the left side of the play where it was underthrown. Both of these should have been thrown better but it also seemed like McGowan was slow to pick up the ball in the air and adjust to it, although I'm not sure he could have caught either of them anyways; just something I want to keep an eye on for him. Then there was the one early to the right where it the pass was low and back into the defenders legs. Maybe the fourth down play?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think Sims struggles with progressions and reads. Part of that is clearly coaching but I think part of it is football skills. Sims has all kind of talent but unless his passing IQ goes up, I think he will continue to struggle. Part of the scheme could be to incorporate more screens and swing plays to backs. That makes the throw much simpler and takes advantage of the fact our best skill position of athletes is our running backs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The answer to this is simple and I'm at a loss to see what it hasn't happened: let him run more. I'll repeat that, let Sims run more. He's good at it and it'll take some of the pressure off his reads as well as off the OL.

Since Yates, who is Ricky Dobbs reincarnated, will run more, whether the coaches call for it or not, we'll see how this works next week. Provided we get the ball enough to do something, that is.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't think any of Sim's misses were to Carter. I think one was to Gibbs, and I put that one on Gibbs instead of Sims but that's neither here nor there. I thought 3 were to McGowan. There was the deep on in the endzone where it looked like Sims tried to throw it to the open area and let McGowan run under it and just didn't get enough air. There was the one on the left side of the play where it was underthrown. Both of these should have been thrown better but it also seemed like McGowan was slow to pick up the ball in the air and adjust to it, although I'm not sure he could have caught either of them anyways; just something I want to keep an eye on for him. Then there was the one early to the right where it the pass was low and back into the defenders legs. Maybe the fourth down play?

Sims threw the ball towards inside towards the safety and not away towards the open field. It didn’t help that Cochran let a rusher from the backside free to rush the throw.

The throw to McGowan was a flat out miss. The same type of misses we saw with Ahmarean.

On the 4th down throw, same thing. A rusher was free and but IMO Jeff threw the ball to the wrong guy. He had the TE over the middle wide open on the drag