Sims is gone.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Sims was a victim of poor coaching. There is no doubt that he has talent and that, with the right coaching, he can be very effective. When we beat UNC in 2021, I thought our coaches would see the light, tell Sims to get ready to run 15 times a game, and let him go all Marcus Mariotta at Oregon on our opponents. That would have worked just fine and I'm betting Paternaude wanted to do it. I'm also betting that TFFG vetoed that because he thought it would hurt recruiting or some similarly silly reason. That's too bad for Sims and for us.

Thanks for your efforts for Tech, Jeff! And good luck wherever you end up. I'm sure you'll succeed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Sims was a victim of poor coaching. There is no doubt that he has talent and that, with the right coaching, he can be very effective. When we beat UNC in 2021, I thought our coaches would see the light, tell Sims to get ready to run 15 times a game, and let him go all Marcus Mariotta at Oregon on our opponents. That would have worked just fine and I'm betting Paternaude wanted to do it. I'm also betting that TFFG vetoed that because he thought it would hurt recruiting or some similarly silly reason. That's too bad for Sims and for us.

Thanks for your efforts for Tech, Jeff! And good luck wherever you end up. I'm sure you'll succeed.

Exactly.

No idea why this kid gets so much vitriol from folks. You can't acknowledge how poor the coaching was then place a high level of blame on this kid personally.

Kid came here, tried, and it didn't work out. Wish him well on his journey. Why bash him on the way out?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Jeff has a lot of raw talent. If he ever embraced being a runner that throws a bit vs a pocket passer, the sky would be the limit.

Good luck to him. I think we could use his talent but it may be best for all involved that we part ways. Open QB competition here without people feeling it is “their job” before earning it on the field.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If that stunt about refusing to play is real... obviously it's to not get more injured right before declaring the portal but that's just a new low to pull that while you're still on the team. Again, if it's true, Sims does not get a good bye good luck from me.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If that stunt about refusing to play is real... obviously it's to not get more injured right before declaring the portal but that's just a new low to pull that while you're still on the team. Again, if it's true, Sims does not get a good bye good luck from me.

It wasn't, although it will be taken as fact going forward for sure.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
"stunt"; "more injured" - Really?

He had MULTIPLE foot issues. Which negated his ability to do THE THING that separated him from the backups.

Maybe, just maybe, he was a TEAM first guy and didn't want to suck minutes from dudes (Like ZG who did well against both uNC and "u"Ga).

As a guy who played competitive sports, as a grown man (beyond College Aged) I really dislike this who narrative.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Jeff never had that football IQ in my opinion. Slow reactions and inability to make quick decisions does not work well as a division one QB. In high school athleticism can overcome that but not in college. Pyron, on the other hand, seems to have those attributes. Excited about the future of Pyron (hope he stays if Key isn’t hired but hopefully he is hired). Best to Jeff.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You worked your tail off for five years, and got your Tech degree.

How do you feel about your high school buddy who transferred elsewhere after a couple of quarters? Y'all still talk?

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I will not miss him one iota; however, I lay this at the feet of Geoff Collins. They had recruited a good QB in that class who was all in on Tech and was busy recruiting other players to join him at Tech. Geoff Collins thought that he had struck recruiting gold when Mike Norvell decided that FSU would pass on Sims. He thought that a superior athlete = superior QB. It doesn’t always work like that. Collins coddled Sims, refused to bring in any other QB that would compete with his 4 Star. He stated on multiple occasions that he was putting all of his eggs in the Sims basket. His prime directive to Long and Weinke was to elevate Sims’s game. It should have been about elevating the TEAM rather than just one player. It is rumored that it took a hefty NIL deal and a lot of cajoling to get Sims to return for the 2022 season. IMHO Tech was all in for Sims but the feeling wasn’t mutual.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
Yall are stretching quite a lot to find a reason to hate this kid. We're better than that. He's gone, move on.
Only one stretching is you making something out of nothing. Kid never met expectations and under performed on many metrics. This was a good move for both parties involved. Wish Jeff the best.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It’s not hate. Let’s not parrot that mindless garbage. Disagreeing, or having a different opinion, does not equal hate.

Don't be that guy that's caught up on a word. Everybody knows what I'm saying.

Eta. If my post is considered some weird political 'thing', please remove it. I don't wanna touch off some unnecessary whine session.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims took the high road on his farewell tweet that he was transferring. Let's do the same. He did nothing to shame GT while he has been here. He is now a GT alum just like a lot of us on this site.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Sims took the high road on his farewell tweet that he was transferring. Let's do the same. He did nothing to shame GT while he has been here. He is now a GT alum just like a lot of us on this site.

But he didn't during the season when he claimed to be hurt when we all knew he was leaving, even had his parents here claiming injury instead of being honest.