Sims helped or hurt by scrimmage?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you thinks Sims' good yardage overcame the two fumbles, or do you think the 2 fumbles made him number 2?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
From CPJ's post-practice comments it sounded like he acknowledged Sims had a good scrimmage, and "he needed to because he's in a battle for his job". So to answer your question directly I think the positive final review means he overcame the 2 fumbles.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't see the second fumble, but the one I saw happened during the mesh, so it might not be completely Sims' fault. How many fumbles did Sims have last two years?

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
In a real game, very few things overcome a turnover. However, if he gets that handled he looks like he could be a force this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The long runs suggest he's breaking through the holes quickly and well. The question I have for those who saw him was how he was holding the ball. Sometimes, guys can fall into the old habit of pumping both arms in order to get more speed with the result that the ball is held away from the body as the ball-arm also pumps. It seems to me that that's just asking for a strip.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
The long runs suggest he's breaking through the holes quickly and well. The question I have for those who saw him was how he was holding the ball. Sometimes, guys can fall into the old habit of pumping both arms in order to get more speed with the result that the ball is held away from the body as the ball-arm also pumps. It seems to me that that's just asking for a strip.
Yea, in one of the long runs he had to the near sideline, it looked like he was doing exactly what you describe. He covered up the ball as he was being tackled but if he were caught from behind by surprise, I could see a fist knocking the ball loose.

On a side note, some of the bigger plays came from the diamond formation. I'd imagine the extra room the b-backs have to work with before they hit the hole can really help them. I'm excited for the b-backs, hope they have a huge year.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point on some of the bigger plays coming from the diamond formation. I hope that this does indeed help. The Bback making big plays helps open the rest of the offense up.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/13-preseason.html

Head coach Paul Johnson, when asked who caught his eye in Saturday's scrimmage, listed WR DeAndre Smelter and B-backs David Sims and Zach Laskey, among others.

On today's practice - The defense made a couple of highlight-worthy plays late in practice Monday during the one-minute drill. Sophomore CB D.J. White absolutely leveled B.J. Bostic to win the battle of players using initials for first names. Later, Jamal Golden grabbed a one-handed interception near the sideline.

Depth chart coming out tomorrow.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are some pics from Saturdays scrimmage. The one thing I noticed in these pics was the way Laskey "tucks" the ball away and keeps it protected. The 1st pic is a great example of keeping the ball "high and tight" even when running. Even if the defender chops the ball from behind the likely hood of a fumble is much less. When Laskey is falling forward and going to the ground the ball is still tucked away. In the Sims photo he has the ball away from his body and left unprotected. I believe Sinjyn carries the ball like that and we know he has been prone to fumble the ball after contact. It seems like most defenders try and strip the ball and when its away from the body you are very prone to fumble.

9127736.jpeg
9127726.jpeg
9127727.jpeg
9127731.jpeg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nice graphic analysis. Keep in mind it's just one picture of Sims. I'm sure you can find one stray pic of Laskey loaf-of-breading it, too.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice graphic analysis. Keep in mind it's just one picture of Sims. I'm sure you can find one stray pic of Laskey loaf-of-breading it, too.
You are correct. This was the only sample of Sims running the ball from the scrimmage that I could find. I was just pointing the differences out and looking at the larger sample of Laskey doing it right consistently probably is a big reason that he didn't fumble last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Interesting thought, the first team O moved the ball pretty well on our D with 3 of it's starting 5 OL's not playing. Good for the O, or bad for the D?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO bad for the "D". Reason being they should know the formations and sets after seeing it hundreds of times and be able to stop it. I wouldn't be that concerned at all about the "O" if the "D" stopped them most of the time. A good defense will win you more games than a high powered offense most of the time.