Sims=Bilbo

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims QB rating, TD vs Int is better than Joe Hamiltons was in his first two years. I think Sims can be an elite QB with more development. I think his potential is as high as he wants it to be if hes will to work for it. Im thankful hes got a free year last year and we have him for 3 more years

Jolly Good Fellow
1) I love Jordan Yates...seems like a Tech man in all the best senses of the phrase.
2) Jeff Sims is going to be an all-time Tech great.... He gives us the best chance to win, occasionally now and big-time in the future.
3) Jeff should get every snap.... Jordan will be there this year if Jeff gets hurt....then he will graduate and transfer where he can start...I hope he becomes Joe Borrow for somebody....
4) Tech fans hate each other...

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
1) I love Jordan Yates...seems like a Tech man in all the best senses of the phrase.
2) Jeff Sims is going to be an all-time Tech great.... He gives us the best chance to win, occasionally now and big-time in the future.
3) Jeff should get every snap.... Jordan will be there this year if Jeff gets hurt....then he will graduate and transfer where he can start...I hope he becomes Joe Borrow for somebody....
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Agree
4) Misery loves company

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) I don't completely agree. When Sims turns cold as he did in the middle of the game, sitting out a series may calm him down.
4) It starts with the culture as undergrads. If only 1 in 3 is getting out, our classmates weren't our peers, they were our competitors. I was happy with making a 35% on an exam as long as I was in the 70th percentile or better. It was like the old gag about outrunning the bear...you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person in your hiking group.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) I don't completely agree. When Sims turns cold as he did in the middle of the game, sitting out a series may calm him down.
4) It starts with the culture as undergrads. If only 1 in 3 is getting out, our classmates weren't our peers, they were our competitors. I was happy with making a 35% on an exam as long as I was in the 70th percentile or better. It was like the old gag about outrunning the bear...you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person in your hiking group.
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Hard to say. Maybe sitting down would calm him. Or maybe he’d press even harder next time he’s in the game out of fear of being benched.
4) Interesting. I was usually not at the top of the class, but I generally tried to find a study partner even in classes with a curve because I figured that the benefits of understanding the material better outweighed the downside of hurting the curve. I suppose if I was at the top I may have wanted to keep my classmates from catching up, but I never found myself with that luxury.

slugboy

Staff member
1) Agree
2) Agree
We were looking at the numbers over the weekend. It looks like only 1/3 failed out (retention was 67%). Apparently, a lot of us, including me, didn't listen all that well during FASET.

(numbers are close to 98% retention now, which is impressive).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We were looking at the numbers over the weekend. It looks like only 1/3 failed out (retention was 67%). Apparently, a lot of us, including me, didn't listen all that well during FASET.

(numbers are close to 98% retention now, which is impressive).
I didn't track the statistics as a teenager/young man back then, but I do know "we lost a lot of good men" down there on North Avenue "back in the day" for me to be worried about my graduation until maybe my late junior/early senior year. A lot of my buddies in Techwood Dorm were paid "a visit by the Turk" so to speak and left with bags packed. Or else stayed in school by switching to the M train.

Hopefully by switching and changing the culture a bit it may lessen that feeling of seeing the guy or gal on your left and right as someone trying to take your spot in the graduation line. I know this - I am friends, colleagues and neighbors with quite a few SEC alums. When they speak of their undergrad experiences, they do so fondly and with warm memories that I don't hear from my GT buddies. Mind you, we all are glad to have matriculated at the "I" and wouldn't change a thing. But it IS a different experience than the one your golfing buddy who went to Auburn or Ole Miss or the like went through. All anectodal data here of course.

slugboy

Staff member
I didn't track the statistics as a teenager/young man back then, but I do know "we lost a lot of good men" down there on North Avenue "back in the day" for me to be worried about my graduation until maybe my late junior/early senior year. A lot of my buddies in Techwood Dorm were paid "a visit by the Turk" so to speak and left with bags packed. Or else stayed in school by switching to the M train.

Hopefully by switching and changing the culture a bit it may lessen that feeling of seeing the guy or gal on your left and right as someone trying to take your spot in the graduation line. I know this - I am friends, colleagues and neighbors with quite a few SEC alums. When they speak of their undergrad experiences, they do so fondly and with warm memories that I don't hear from my GT buddies. Mind you, we all are glad to have matriculated at the "I" and wouldn't change a thing. But it IS a different experience than the one your golfing buddy who went to Auburn or Ole Miss or the like went through. All anectodal data here of course.
It got so bad the admin eventually took away the entire Techwood dorm. ;)

No one these days knows the joy of stuffing an “A” room

Wreck07

Georgia Tech Fan
Sims does not equal Bilbo. Sims is being given a chance. Bilbo was never given a chance.

Bilbo was also a much bigger name in national recruiting circles. I've never been as frustrated as a fan as watching AJ Suggs start over him.

However, Bilbo is having himself quite a career as an agent. He was recently hired by Klutch (ridiculously powerful agency in NBA, run by Rich Paul, seen as surrogate for LeBron, etc.) https://www.gq.com/story/damarius-bilbo-klutch-sports-nfl-interview

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims does not equal Bilbo. Sims is being given a chance. Bilbo was never given a chance.

Bilbo was also a much bigger name in national recruiting circles. I've never been as frustrated as a fan as watching AJ Suggs start over him.

However, Bilbo is having himself quite a career as an agent. He was recently hired by Klutch (ridiculously powerful agency in NBA, run by Rich Paul, seen as surrogate for LeBron, etc.) https://www.gq.com/story/damarius-bilbo-klutch-sports-nfl-interview

I knew Bilbo became an agent, but I did not know Klutch and Rich Paul made him a pivot person for their NFL agency expansions. That's is great...and good job by Bilbo. Really great to hear ex-Jackets do well in their post playing days.

Did GT fans know Bilbo actually played WR/QB for the Dallas Cowboys? One of those players that was ahead of his time. Dual threat QB before coaches knew what to do with them. I always wondered why he didn't see more time at QB, but good on Bilbo for making it work at WR.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I knew Bilbo became an agent, but I did not know Klutch and Rich Paul made him a pivot person for their NFL agency expansions. That's is great...and good job by Bilbo. Really great to hear ex-Jackets do well in their post playing days.

Did GT fans know Bilbo actually played WR/QB for the Dallas Cowboys? One of those players that was ahead of his time. Dual threat QB before coaches knew what to do with them. I always wondered why he didn't see more time at QB, but good on Bilbo for making it work at WR.
I was always so excited to see Bilbo take the reigns at QB, if i remember right he finally got his chance in a bowl game but threw a couple of INT‘s, Maybe a pick-6 and got yanked.....the next season he was a WR. I knew he played WR for a while in the NFL but didn’t realize that he took snaps at QB there.

slugboy

Staff member
I was always so excited to see Bilbo take the reigns at QB, if i remember right he finally got his chance in a bowl game but threw a couple of INT‘s, Maybe a pick-6 and got yanked.....the next season he was a WR. I knew he played WR for a while in the NFL but didn’t realize that he took snaps at QB there.
My memory is really hazy on this, but I recall Suggs starting the Silicon Valley bowl game, getting yanked, and Bilbo finishing out the game. It wasn't pretty.

Pass
PlayerSchoolCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Damarius BilboGeorgia Tech72035.01788.90.91486.3
A.J. SuggsGeorgia Tech2728.6405.7-4.31266.6

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/12/2021.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My memory is really hazy on this, but I recall Suggs starting the Silicon Valley bowl game, getting yanked, and Bilbo finishing out the game. It wasn't pretty.

Pass
PlayerSchoolCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Damarius BilboGeorgia Tech72035.01788.90.91486.3
A.J. SuggsGeorgia Tech2728.6405.7-4.31266.6

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/12/2021.
Wow those are not good stats, but Bilbo looks like the better qb - higher completion percentage, lower interception rate, a lot more yards

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks for the link

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sims is very athletic and can do a lot of things on the football field. He is also pretty raw still and needs a lot of coaching. I’m not sure our quarterback coach/offensive coordinator knows how to do that.

slugboy

Staff member
Wow those are not good stats, but Bilbo looks like the better qb - higher completion percentage, lower interception rate, a lot more yard

That's part of it. The other part (and if Suggs ever logs into this site, he can correct me) was:
  1. At the end of the first half, we had the ball.
  2. Either Gailey or O'Brien called a play and said "if this play is not 100% wide open, throw the ball into the stands"
  3. There were 20 seconds left.
  4. Suggs threw the ball right to Fresno State for a touchdown
Here's the play. In the second half, Bilbo was the QB. I don't think Suggs ever took another snap at GT.

Here are the first-half stats from the Silicon Valley mud bowl (the turnovers is big):
1634077381502.png

That team had plenty of talent, but just underachieved, which was frustrating as a fan.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That's part of it. The other part (and if Suggs ever logs into this site, he can correct me) was:
  1. At the end of the first half, we had the ball.
  2. Either Gailey or O'Brien called a play and said "if this play is not 100% wide open, throw the ball into the stands"
  3. There were 20 seconds left.
  4. Suggs threw the ball right to Fresno State for a touchdown
Here's the play. In the second half, Bilbo was the QB. I don't think Suggs ever took another snap at GT.

Here are the first-half stats from the Silicon Valley mud bowl (the turnovers is big):
View attachment 11419

That team had plenty of talent, but just underachieved, which was frustrating as a fan.

That game sucked big hairy balls

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s great to see Bilbo’s growth and success. It also is a huge bonus for GT if used properly.

Side note wasn’t Bilbo the one to supply gifts to Demaryius?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Eligibility-wise Sims is a freshmen due to the Covid exception.

Experience-wise and academically he's a sophomore.

Now we're just arguing about stupid sh!t...LOL
Haha I mean are you really that surprised? Our fan base will argue over anything.