Sims=Bilbo

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In the last ~2.5 games since he came back from injury Sims is

46 - 71 (65%) for 768 yards (10.8 per attempt), 32 rushes for 221 yards (6.9 per) 10 TDs responsible for, 4 INTS. All against conference opponents. That is about on average ~307 Passing yards on 65% completion and 88 yards per game on nearly 7 yards per carry accounting for 4 TDs a game to 1.6 turnovers. Yes, he played one possession over 2.5 games since returning because we all know someone is going to say that. To put it another way, 307 passing yards per game would be 3rd in the conference. 88 rypg would be 6th in conference. And most of the players surrounding him on that list are upperclassmen.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
Simms is fine and would play out of his mind with better oline play and better receiver play. We need our Oline to grow the hell up quickly And our oline coach to prove his worth. onthe other hand we need to Pressure the QB , and a total up grade in our secondary. Def line just needs to keep recruiting.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims needs better postion coaching. I think a lot of his performance problems are correctable.
I often feel we are too quick to judge Sims and the coaching of Sims. I never felt like he was a polished super star QB coming out of high school who would immediately dominate college football, but he has a lot of potential to be a really good College QB. Sims would have benefited greatly to have been able to redshirt and not take the reigns until his redshirt sophomore or redshirt junior year, but we didn’t have any other QB’s ready so he’s going to take his lumps.

Some of his turnover issues I expect, the fact that he locks on to targets I expect, accuracy issues I expect, and he’s always had a low release point but it’s difficult to change throwing motions (think Tim Tebow). Outside of the first quarter of the NIU game, Sims has exceeded my expectations for this season. I don’t think he had his best game against Duke and he definitely made two bad decisions (one under pressure) that lead to turnovers, but he also brought us back to win late, and I can’t remember many 2 minute or less game winning drives from tech in a while.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Every single issue with Sims can be traced to the performance of the OL.
The OL was not great but not terrible today. Even when Sims had time, he didn’t look great. But would rather have these teachable moments come in a close win than a close loss!

LibertyTurns

Banned
The OL was not great but not terrible today. Even when Sims had time, he didn’t look great. But would rather have these teachable moments come in a close win than a close loss!
The run blocking was poor, but pass blocking was ok. He had enough time on most of his passes, execution was another story Until of course that last drive. Like someone flipped a switch.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
This is incorrect
I agree. I like Sims and see his ceiling. He has superstar potential. No one in their right mind can deny that. But his two INTs today were unforced. He stared down a receiver who was standing in place and the DBs read him like a book. And the other INT was because he threw the ball to the wrong side of a contested WR. These aren’t OL issues, but they are correctable and teachable moments. I think Pnode will either make or break Sims’ NFL potential. We will just have to see what becomes of the both of them.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Every single issue with Sims can be traced to the performance of the OL.
This is incorrect
Four of his passes were thrown to players too well covered. Two were intercepted. He also threw two others into a very tight window and got away with it. Those are his bad decisions. I agree on some plays he is pressured because of the Oline breakdown but he has to learn to run, take a loss, or heave it into the stands instead of making the turnover. Otherwise his 50/50 passes will continue to make us a 50/50 team or worse.

Towers214

Georgia Tech Fan
It's hilarious to see the standard that Sims is held to after some of the QB play that people have defended over the years.
Like whom? Reggie ball? Luginbilll? Bilbo? Bennett? These boards ALWAYS hold our QB too high standards.

Yates had the same line, same OC but zero int and zero fumbles. He moved the ball down the field. Sims had CLEARLY shown the red zone issues are not a Yates issue. He has had them the past two games. You claim a 100% red zone rate today but they weren’t all TD. Heck, two of our TD were from outside the 40.

I want Sims to be awesome, but is 1.5 years in and he hasn’t progressed except his deep ball. It’s sucked last year. We lost Syracuse because his deep ball was terrible. He’s fixed that. I hope he can continue to improve in other areas. But I honestly believe that Yates should get more time.

Sims offenses score but also go 3 and out way too much and way too fast and it kills our defense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Like whom? Reggie ball? Luginbilll? Bilbo? Bennett? These boards ALWAYS hold our QB too high standards.

The most egregious was Tevin but the same holds true for most of the QBs in the option who were allowed to skate on being mediocre or worse passers. But Sims went for 360 yards on 70% last week and some posters only wanted to focus on the INTs as if that is all that matters.

Yates had the same line, same OC but zero int and zero fumbles. He moved the ball down the field. Sims had CLEARLY shown the red zone issues are not a Yates issue. He has had them the past two games. You claim a 100% red zone rate today but they weren’t all TD. Heck, two of our TD were from outside the 40.

And zero TDs. The point about TDs from outside of the 40 goes against you. Sims has big play potential. Yates doesn't. So even if the redzone issues aren't exclusive to Yates, although they are worse with him, it's a bigger deal because of it. Also, no, Yates did not move the ball down the field. He had 5 drives against UNC. 4 went without a first down. There is a reason people focus almost exclusively on turnovers. It's the only area where Yates has any sort of argument. Sims is the better runner and better passer and the idea he hasn't progressed in the last year is a laughably bad take.