Simplifying the Offense

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm definitely not an X's and O's guy so forgive me if this is a dumb question. But does CPJ need to simplify the offense and reduce the playbook for this team? It seems like when it's simplified, the blocking and QB play is better and more decisive. I remember after the Duke game hearing there was some issues with the O-line mistakenly changing some blocking schemes. Maybe it helps for this years team to run a more simplified offense. It gives the O-line, the QB and the A-B backs less to think about so they can just execute.
Or maybe this could be a case of defenses not having much tape on T. Oliver and what is run when he's in the game.
I don't know the answer. I'm just throwing this out there to see what some of yall think.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Simplifying things can work great when you are physically manhandling your opponent. It’s also pretty wise when dealing with inexperience at a position (especially QB) or multiple positions.

This isn’t rocket science. I don’t exactly know what the Oline foul ups were about vs. Duke but I saw VT try to do some similar things as them with zero success. So we seem to have sorted that problem out.

As coaches say...it’s never as good or bad as it seems. We have a darn good Oline and they are playing at a high level now.

Having said that we still can’t afford to shoot our selves in the foot with penalties and turnovers. CPJ has alluded that this is even more important this year because we are lacking some big play ability at some spots. I’m not sold on this being 100% the case.

I think our lack of plays 20 yds or more is due to our lack of a pass threat again this year. Even when we block everything right we aren’t breaking the big runs because DBs are crashing down hard in run support. (We have come very close several times but....) We haven’t been able to make anyone pay for that “cheating” with any big pass plays. So we never get them on their heels or run out of the play area.

This is true for both TM and TO. As well as both have played and for all of the great plays they have each made in the run game. Each QB brings a different skill set. Both can be very productive for us. But until we can hit some big pass plays....we won’t be functioning at our optimum best.

For all that being said....I’m far less worried about any issue on O as I am for issues on D. The D is making strides though.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It also allows the defense to simplify. Something VT never did. They played the Triple Option all night and the threat of the pass. If I’m theDC against Oliver, I’m putting ten in the box and make the rest of the team beat me. Have a LB to shadow him the entire game.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It also allows the defense to simplify. Something VT never did. They played the Triple Option all night and the threat of the pass. If I’m theDC against Oliver, I’m putting ten in the box and make the rest of the team beat me. Have a LB to shadow him the entire game.

I think you needs someone faster like a SS. But yes I agree. That is why you need a bigger playbook, when a coach adjusts and we need to pull out more of our playbook.. That is why passing is important. When all of our running plays are not working, you have to be able to pass, or pass to make the running plays work better.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Cooper back at center is making a big difference. When healthy he looks like a potential All-ACC caliber player. Also allows Lee to contribute at tackle, which has seemingly been our weakest o-line link.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

But remember that's the beauty of the O. While we haven't exactly used all the facets of the offense, the base O still shows the threat of four verticals and we can always run the triple option out of it.

Hopefully we add the package we ran at VT to our repertoire, and work on our base stuff to return to once the defense over commits.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Simplifying things can work great when you are physically manhandling your opponent. It’s also pretty wise when dealing with inexperience at a position (especially QB) or multiple positions.

This isn’t rocket science. I don’t exactly know what the Oline foul ups were about vs. Duke but I saw VT try to do some similar things as them with zero success. So we seem to have sorted that problem out.

As coaches say...it’s never as good or bad as it seems. We have a darn good Oline and they are playing at a high level now.

Having said that we still can’t afford to shoot our selves in the foot with penalties and turnovers. CPJ has alluded that this is even more important this year because we are lacking some big play ability at some spots. I’m not sold on this being 100% the case.

I think our lack of plays 20 yds or more is due to our lack of a pass threat again this year. Even when we block everything right we aren’t breaking the big runs because DBs are crashing down hard in run support. (We have come very close several times but....) We haven’t been able to make anyone pay for that “cheating” with any big pass plays. So we never get them on their heels or run out of the play area.

This is true for both TM and TO. As well as both have played and for all of the great plays they have each made in the run game. Each QB brings a different skill set. Both can be very productive for us. But until we can hit some big pass plays....we won’t be functioning at our optimum best.

For all that being said....I’m far less worried about any issue on O as I am for issues on D. The D is making strides though.
Some good points. So do you think the reason why T. Marshall is the starter over T. Oliver is because Marshall has more potential to be able to hit the big pass play? I guess he's a better thrower than Oliver. We haven't really seen Oliver throw much. But we also are not there in practice. CPJ has said in interviews that there is a reason Marshall is the starter.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Some good points. So do you think the reason why T. Marshall is the starter over T. Oliver is because Marshall has more potential to be able to hit the big pass play? I guess he's a better thrower than Oliver. We haven't really seen Oliver throw much. But we also are not there in practice. CPJ has said in interviews that there is a reason Marshall is the starter.

I think TaQuon is the starter because has a better grasp of more of the offense. He hasn’t been great throwing, but he also has been playing behind a patchwork quilt of an OLine with MULTIPLE guys playing out of position due to injuries. The line we saw Thursday night would make either one shine. Tobias is certainly bigger and more devastating in midline and interior running. TaQuon has a better grasp on making the more advanced option reads though.

It really depends on the type of defense we face imho for who should be starting moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk