Simplify. Execute. Win.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
What would you do as the IHC?

Based on the play exhibited over the past four weeks, would it make sense to simplify the playbook and focus on doing the basics really, really well?

Does the IHC simply take up where "he who is not to be named" left off? Or does he need to boil it all down to the basics and slowly build everything back up?

What do you expect to see on Saturday?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What would you do as the IHC?

Based on the play exhibited over the past four weeks, would it make sense to simplify the playbook and focus on doing the basics really, really well?

Does the IHC simply take up where "he who is not to be named" left off? Or does he need to boil it all down to the basics and slowly build everything back up?

What do you expect to see on Saturday?

Frankly, I expect Saturday to be somewhat ugly. Distractions during the week and a still progressing OL going against one of the best DL in the nation is going to be tough. I imagine we will see the biggest results of the change during the Dook game

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we will do better.

1. imo cgc was so scripted by the pregame plan he that his in game actions were so goofy they were not effective.

2. Also Thack Attack is all by himself.
3. Last game the speed of defense was markedly better. Db were nesr every well almost every receiver.
4 So far the pitt offense has not been anything like last year.
5. Sims passed to a tight end going down field -
6. Maybe the bad sims ( throw into triple coversge) will stsy away will the good sims has fun and moves up to middle of acc qbr.

slugboy

Staff member
I think we will do better.

1. imo cgc was so scripted by the pregame plan he that his in game actions were so goofy they were not effective.

2. Also Thack Attack is all by himself.
3. Last game the speed of defense was markedly better. Db were nesr every well almost every receiver.
4 So far the pitt offense has not been anything like last year.
5. Sims passed to a tight end going down field -
6. Maybe the bad sims ( throw into triple coversge) will stsy away will the good sims has fun and moves up to middle of acc qbr.
I’ve wondered if Thacker is a good coach who couldn’t do his job. Four days isn’t a lot of time for a massive transformation, but I’ll watch.

I’m not sure we have an average ACC QB right now. The ratings seem to be split between “fantastic” and “awful”. There’s one “ok” in the lot.

I’m most interested in the OL and the interior DL, and how a very short week of coaching might make a difference.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve wondered if Thacker is a good coach who couldn’t do his job. Four days isn’t a lot of time for a massive transformation, but I’ll watch.

I’m not sure we have an average ACC QB right now. The ratings seem to be split between “fantastic” and “awful”. There’s one “ok” in the lot.

I’m most interested in the OL and the interior DL, and how a very short week of coaching might make a difference.

I am less than impressed with Thacker so far. These next two games will really say a lot about him IMO. Pitt's O isn't exceptional, but it will be good enough to score points and I expect their DL to absolutely destroy our OL this Saturday. We should be able to beat Dook, but it's going to rely on Thacker's D getting stops on third down.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Rugby kick until I knew I had the punting fixed.
Cut the number of plays down for now and target more often who gets the ball based on past success (D smith more running and screens and McCollum and Rutherford receiving)
Run more power plays and more two back sets
Concentrate on first down calls to get 4+ yards
Run Sims on more design runs and Sims on power sweeps. When he tires or gets dinged...next man up
Cut down on substitutions on both ends of the field and the late substitutions causing unnecessary time outs
Get the D players lined up quicker and get the call in earlier or let the players on the field make the calls
Use a D spy on the QB on third and passing downs
Discipline players who make dumb penalties like pre snap, post play, and mouthing. Emphasize situational awareness.
Cut out non football issues on game day and on the sidelines
Have a short yardage run package maybe using Olinemen for TEs to block
Prepare plays for the red zone and use your best personnel and plays
Get a better focus on moving the chains (situational and sideline awareness) and this starts with better focus/execution/play calling on first down.
I expect those in charge to use better judgement on use of time outs
Get the backup QB some snaps
Throw for the sticks on third down, not sideways
Throw more vertically and less laterally in general (lateral throws need to be to "runners" like D Smith, Hall, McCollum, Rutherford and PJ)
More confusing movement post snap and less pre snap
Let's try to out execute and not so much to out smart the opponent

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Frankly, I expect Saturday to be somewhat ugly. Distractions during the week and a still progressing OL going against one of the best DL in the nation is going to be tough. I imagine we will see the biggest results of the change during the Dook game

Looked at Pitts depth chart today. Looks like three of their biggest DL (Two DE's and a DT) might be out or limited this Saturday along with one of their better RBs. Maybe this moves the needle in our direction somewhat. If we can sustain enough blocks to free Smith and give Sims enough time to complete a few throws, we might just have a punchers chance in this one.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looked at Pitts depth chart today. Looks like three of their biggest DL (Two DE's and a DT) might be out or limited this Saturday along with one of their better RBs. Maybe this moves the needle in our direction somewhat. If we can sustain enough blocks to free Smith and give Sims enough time to complete a few throws, we might just have a punchers chance in this one.
That's been the problem on offense for some time, now. If we could only just block.
We have the horses elsewhere, but it's what's up front that counts.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CBK was clear that there won't be any 'schematic changes'. Which, four games in the season trying to change the scheme would be a disaster. But the 'scheme' hasn't been the issue on either side of the ball, execution, effort (at times) and decision-making have been. Even against Ole Miss, there were sequences and plays where our athletes looked like they belonged out there. Only to be undone by stupidity.

It will likely take time to see big improvements in execution- will take commitment and quality practice. But there's no reason effort and decision-making (especially coaching decisions: strategy, play calling, clock management) can't begin to improve starting this week. The fact that they didn't at all over three years under you-know-who is mind-boggling.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
CBK was clear that there won't be any 'schematic changes'. Which, four games in the season trying to change the scheme would be a disaster. But the 'scheme' hasn't been the issue on either side of the ball, execution, effort (at times) and decision-making have been. Even against Ole Miss, there were sequences and plays where our athletes looked like they belonged out there. Only to be undone by stupidity.

It will likely take time to see big improvements in execution- will take commitment and quality practice. But there's no reason effort and decision-making (especially coaching decisions: strategy, play calling, clock management) can't begin to improve starting this week. The fact that they didn't at all over three years under you-know-who is mind-boggling.
It will be interesting to see if the execution and game planning is different. It will be interesting to see halftime adjustments.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am less than impressed with Thacker so far. These next two games will really say a lot about him IMO. Pitt's O isn't exceptional, but it will be good enough to score points and I expect their DL to absolutely destroy our OL this Saturday. We should be able to beat Dook, but it's going to rely on Thacker's D getting stops on third down.
I would reorg after Duke and Thacker would be back coaching linebackers. He has been over his head since he got here. The numbers speak for themselves.