Signing Day Info

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Any idea who the 1 or 2 surprise signings might be that Yates was hinting about? Assuming Brown was probably one of them.

FullMetalBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Wonder what our chance are of landing the kicker Fitzgerald as a preferred walk-on now that he is picking up scholarship offers from other schools? Any chance we offer him a scholarship or are there not any left to give?

We really don’t need any kickers this year. Freshman walk on Wells already deserves a scholarship for beating out King and Davis this this year, and I believe they both return as well.

Deleted member 2897

FYI, some stats about our class as of right now.

18 commits.
#46 Nationally.
#9 ACC.

Only 1 team in the ACC is ranked higher than us but with fewer commits (Miami).

Of note: 4 guys rated 5.7 by Rivals (0.1 below a 4-star).

In the 2018 class, we only had 3 guys rated higher than 5.6...and its only early signing day.
In the 2017 class, we had 7 guys rated higher than 5.6
2016: Net 2. Started with 5, lost 3 of them though: Jordan Woods, Jay Jones, and Emanuel Bridges
2015: Net 5, Started with 6, lost 1 of them though: Philpott

What's the point? We're right about average for our higher rated guys, and we still have a couple months left before the class is locked. A couple guys like Jamious Griffin and we're really rocking.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyway, mostly good that CGC held most of the recruits - really got an issue at RB - not sure what will happen with the quantity we have there and the new signees, especially if we are blessed to get the 4-star talent of Griffin.

But, all in all, and I would have made the exact same statement if CPJ was staying, all 3-star (or 2 star) recruits and NOT ENOUGH LB's and DL's for what we need to have the chance to improve, in my opinion.

BUT, we still have until Feb, and maybe we will get some great surprises. If not, then we get to see next recruiting season just how CGC's new techniques and positive energy can affect GT recruiting.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
As of now, waiting on Briton Allen, who's supposed to flip to USC today.

As well as the three OL commits: Joshua Black, Larry Dowdy, and grad transfer Jared Southers.

Jamious Griffin who we supposedly secretly flipped won't sign until February and it'll be tough to hang onto him if we do have him. There are also two European prospects with offers. Not sure what time it is in Belgium and Germany if they plan on faxing it in.

Oh, and Jamie Pettway has a hat show today with our hat on the table. He'd be a very nice get given linebacker depth.

Disappointed to hear Briton Allen may flip. Liked his film. Are you hearing at all that he might stay? Who’s your source? Thanks

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Anyway, mostly good that CGC held most of the recruits - really got an issue at RB - not sure what will happen with the quantity we have there and the new signees, especially if we are blessed to get the 4-star talent of Griffin.

But, all in all, and I would have made the exact same statement if CPJ was staying, all 3-star (or 2 star) recruits and NOT ENOUGH LB's and DL's for what we need to have the chance to improve, in my opinion.

BUT, we still have until Feb, and maybe we will get some great surprises. If not, then we get to see next recruiting season just how CGC's new techniques and positive energy can affect GT recruiting.

RB will have some attrition by the sheer numbers, but after position changes it won’t be so bad.

As for recruiting, everyone needs to remember that this class is mostly the outgoing administration.
These kids are recruited from when they are sophomores/juniors so it is tough to come in a steal guys this late in the game. The next two years should let you know where we are with this staff and recruiting.
I agree we might need to look at some reaches before February. We need another tightend, maybe two or look to grad transfers. That is the only glaring spot of weakness. We would probably like another tackle but the Vandy transfer was nice to have.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Disappointed to hear Briton Allen may flip. Liked his film. Are you hearing at all that he might stay? Who’s your source? Thanks
All signs seem to point to him flipping, especially that he hasn't sent in his LOI yet. It's nearly 7 AM at USC, so we could find out soon. All sources are in his thread, mostly in the last 2 or so pages. Weird situation given he only committed two weeks ago while we were in a coaching search. Seemed like he was committed entirely to GT itself.

Deleted member 2897

All signs seem to point to him flipping, especially that he hasn't sent in his LOI yet. It's nearly 7 AM at USC, so we could find out soon. All sources are in his thread, mostly in the last 2 or so pages. Weird situation given he only committed two weeks ago while we were in a coaching search. Seemed like he was committed entirely to GT itself.

Briton still has his commitment to GT pinned, his Twitter picture is GT, and 12 of his last 15 follows (only has about 100 total) are GT people. And his tweet says he is "2500%" committed to Georgia Tech. :D

Still, the fact he hasn't sent in his LOI is odd. BUT, at least one person I've read wanted GT to not publish it and do a public signing later today. So it could be something like that.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe CGC can work some of his magic on Briton and others. We still need help in the trenches, which has been an issue over several coaching administrations.

JacketEagle

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems to me that the outgoing staff has set Collins up pretty darn good. Lost of versatile athletes that can run. If he can pickup a couple D linemen it could be ok. I see no reason for a big drop off. All sorts of things could go wrong, but for right now looks pretty good to me. I think he's smart enough to do what is players can do and not try and force things too quickly.