Sidewalk fans

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the issue with uniforms is this:

1. We don't have a unifying tradition. We have changed so much over the years that we can point to any number of styles and call it "traditional."
2. The biggest complainers critics of the uniforms are all of the older guys who, as you said, are nostalgic for the uniforms they fondly remember.
3. Russell. Nothing against them, but they DON'T have the cachet that Nike, UA or Adidas do.

I think the answer, however, is to embrace the Oregon mentality. If we are an Institution that prides ourselves on being modern and cutting edge, (we aren't in the boiler training business anymore), then we should adopt that mentality across the board. Let's be cutting edge. Let's take it to the limit. The reality is that recruits like it. Ultimately, our team will be more successful if the talented recruits are happier than if we merely satisfy the alumni base. (That being said, the alumni base can't be alienated, so have 1-2 throwback uni's a year)

Since we seem to be stuck with Russell for a while, I'd pressure them to go wild with the designs. If they successfully outfit GT with sharp, modern designs, it only helps their business as well.
I disagree, but I'm not opposed to a modern design as long as it doesn't look arena league, that just smacks of desperation and trying too hard to fit in.

Even though we don't have a unifying tradition, as you say, we do have tradition in football - We have the "glory days of Dodd." Now I'm not from that era so I don't have any stock in that particular uniform. But our glory era is something we all can be proud of no matter what our actual era is.

What I'm thinking is take the Dodd uni's and give it a subtle modern refurbishing. Both ND and Alabama have done this and it looks good. I know they have uniform tradition that we lack, but we could mimick their successful blend of old and new. Here's Bama's and ND's new designs just for examples:

Nike-2010-Pro-Combat-Football-Uniforms-Alabama-4-687x434_zps3eefc25f.jpg

notre-dame-adidas-techfit-uniforms-shamrock-series-01.jpg

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is the best way. I brought a friend from church who had moved down from Ohio, was a big football guy and was looking for a local team to support. I took to the Kansas game and showed him the trophies and educated him about the Tech legacy, bought him a chili dog /onion ring at the Varsity and he was hooked..........This he and his son at Fan Day Saturday.

10418979_10152359509203163_873523409147124460_n.jpg
Way to go Lex, or should I say "the Ambassador"?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Quit shooting ourselves in the foot. It seems that the Institute does everything it can to handicap the program. The president should sit down with CPJ and the AD and ask: What do you want from us to have a championship program?

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
Welcome to the board, YJ! Apparently, the powers that be have been trying to appeal to the younger crowd with the "bubble wrap" uniform designs. The problem with trying to be cutting edge is if you don't nail it you look ridiculous. That and the fact the many of the posters on here are older and more traditional in their tastes or were once students and long for the jerseys that bring back memories. That's the one big advantage to having tradition, which we don't, when it comes to uniforms - it's something that not only triggers memories of school days but binds all fans together, regardless of era.
I actually don't mind the honeycomb, but it needs to be done with some navy blue or something. But i also like the old throwback Jersey from the VT game.

Delta Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
GTAA needs to reach out to student groups at the colleges within 2hours drive of Atlanta that do not have their own football team. GCSU,Berry, Brenau, and Emory immediately come to mind. 20 years ago many of those students would have gotten into GT but today's admission standards are so much tougher that we no longer attract a lot of students that grew up playing or watching football. Offer these kids a student ticket package in the north endzone that includes transportation (a bus) to and from games, an area to tailgate, and some spirit wear. Many of these kids will stay in the ATL area after college. We have to GROW our fan base, not just hope it happens. And for those who think it can't be done, the GCSU student activities center already does this very frequently for Braves games. Ever been to Milledgeville? Those kids are dying for this opportunity. Same for Brenau in Gainesville, Berry college in Rome, etc. Our upper north sits empty way to much and would be perfect if the GTAA would just try using their imagination for a change.

Delta Jacket/ GT89

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
GTAA needs to reach out to student groups at the colleges within 2hours drive of Atlanta that do not have their own football team. GCSU,Berry, Brenau, and Emory immediately come to mind. 20 years ago many of those students would have gotten into GT but today's admission standards are so much tougher that we no longer attract a lot of students that grew up playing or watching football. Offer these kids a student ticket package in the north endzone that includes transportation (a bus) to and from games, an area to tailgate, and some spirit wear. Many of these kids will stay in the ATL area after college. We have to GROW our fan base, not just hope it happens. And for those who think it can't be done, the GCSU student activities center already does this very frequently for Braves games. Ever been to Milledgeville? Those kids are dying for this opportunity. Same for Brenau in Gainesville, Berry college in Rome, etc. Our upper north sits empty way to much and would be perfect if the GTAA would just try using their imagination for a change.

Delta Jacket/ GT89
Could be pretty expensive. Especially for Berry. Thats a 2 hour trip. A lot of gas. But its a good idea. Plus reach out to the Atlanta area high schools

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, out all the games on Prison Tvs. I know a guy who was in prison and he became a devout Texas A&M fan while he was there, cuz it was always on their Tvs