Sidewalk fans

thwgjacket

Just do what I do in MD. I go to the same bar to watch the games and drag my friends with me. At first it was just me wearing Tech gear and now there's 5 of us. Pretty sure none of them have even been to GA but they're Tech fans. Also have another group I used to take to games with me. They weren't Tech fans at all and now they call and text me during games to comment on what's going on.
Give them a T-shirt and they'll wear it but make them watch or take them to games and they'll become fans just because it's something a group of friends can bond over.

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
My grandparents lived in Techwood Homes for years. Growing up in East Point, we went to visit them every Sunday with periodic visits to The Yellow Jacket drive-in. Great memories.

I think the recent departure of the Tech SID and his replacement by a new man with new ideas and approaches to marketing Tech will be a big plus. I don't know if the former Tech SID tried and failed, or never tried at all, but Tech has GOT TO SELL itself, both in and outside of Atlanta. Nobody can force a media outlet or a retail establishment to do or sell things that SELL Tech, but if Tech bombards them with information, opportunities, requests, and perhaps even a few demands, then somebody eventually will have to listen, or, better yet, decide to do something if, for no other reason, than to shut up the people bombarding them. Tech has a lot of history and tradition that SHOULD make it a good sell, but nobody seems to be pushing to get that done.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I would reach out to alums that are in professional sports. Ask them to rep GA TECH in the paper, on TV, on the radio every chance they got. Maybe host some small camps for young kids in several sports on the Tech campus. While doing that also create some really innovative activities that have to do with Technology. I agree with the posters who say we need to get to them while they are young. Kids are impressionable and parents are always looking for things to take their kids to do. I like the wristbands idea or something similar that doesnt cost a fortune. Have Coke put coupons for games in there products, let sidewalk people into the games after halftime for $5 or something... You arent going.to fill the seats anyways.. why not? I also agree about the boys and girls clubs idea. This isnt one of my fonder memories but.. When I was in jail... I spoke to a guy who was from the inner city. He saw my GT tattoo and began to tell me about how GT used to do a huge christmas thing for the boys and girls clubs. Making sure that the less fortunate didnt go without a gift on Christmas. He told me that he would never forget that and would always have a soft spot in his heart for TECH. As to getting more adults into Tech athletics... Thats really going to be tough. Unless we start winning more ballgames, and doing.more as fans... I just dont.see it happening. It may be due to crowd size or it could be the average age of our fans, but it gets quiet in the stadium too often. I know we do our part on 3rd down... But we have alot of fuddy duddies in our fanbase. I just feel that if you get people in the stadium for cheap, itll pay off on the backend. Gotta get them hooked and interested first.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Like others have said...win some games and the fans will come. Atlanta loves a bandwagon. In 2009 I remember noticing an increase in GT gear being worn by people when we were riding high going into the UGA game.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a sidewalk fan but I can assure you there is NO ONE that is a bigger TECH fan than I am . I have missed one game since 1963 either in person tv or radio and the main thing I think has hurt GT in attendance and fans is being a whooping boy for the THUGS in the cesspool they call Athens . BEAT Their A-S 2 or 3times and you will see a big increase in fans especially young kids. TO HELL WITH ugag!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GT has only prospered when we had more sidewalk fans. You need money from both, but sidewalk fans can make it happen.

What do you do to attract them? Very obvious - beat the team getting all the pub & and beat good OOC teams.

Sadly, GT has spawned too many elitists abd the Hill would rather see the GTAA fail than succeed.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems like GT hasn't done anything over the past several years besides ticket/free hot dogs etc giveaways. Seems to me to be really stupid/nonexistent marketing. You'd think they just really don't care. Who's in charge of this?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed heartily, although my Walmart has some pretty nice stuff right now, including some very cute ladies' things.

Russell has just begun selling in Walmart (at least the one I go to most often). May have something to do with it. Smaller stores still => ugly G, nothing for us.

http://www.iwantmygt.com/

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed heartily, although my Walmart has some pretty nice stuff right now, including some very cute ladies' things.

Russell has just begun selling in Walmart (at least the one I go to most often). May have something to do with it. Smaller stores still => ugly G, nothing for us.

http://www.iwantmygt.com/

Does ****'s in the Atlanta Area sell GT merchandise? I bought this shirt from them online.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22159766&clickid=body_rv_img

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
I know im a kid (I'm only 18), but my dad was a Tech grad in 91 and brought me up as a Jacket Fan. If we could get more merchandise out in just Wal-mart type of stores, some cool, but also wild unis (like Oregon, but not as ridiculous); we could help bring more attention in general to Tech. But thats just me

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know im a kid (I'm only 18), but my dad was a Tech grad in 91 and brought me up as a Jacket Fan. If we could get more merchandise out in just Wal-mart type of stores, some cool, but also wild unis (like Oregon, but not as ridiculous); we could help bring more attention in general to Tech. But thats just me
Welcome to the board, YJ! Apparently, the powers that be have been trying to appeal to the younger crowd with the "bubble wrap" uniform designs. The problem with trying to be cutting edge is if you don't nail it you look ridiculous. That and the fact the many of the posters on here are older and more traditional in their tastes or were once students and long for the jerseys that bring back memories. That's the one big advantage to having tradition, which we don't, when it comes to uniforms - it's something that not only triggers memories of school days but binds all fans together, regardless of era.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I too am a sidewalk fan. My parents met at Georgia Tech (Mom-Civil,Dad-Electrical), so I was raised a GT fan in Athens. To this day, I have grown to love Tech so much, I've started writing about them

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That and the fact the many of the posters on here are older and more traditional in their tastes or were once students and long for the jerseys that bring back memories. That's the one big advantage to having tradition, which we don't, when it comes to uniforms - it's something that not only triggers memories of school days but binds all fans together, regardless of era.

I think the issue with uniforms is this:

1. We don't have a unifying tradition. We have changed so much over the years that we can point to any number of styles and call it "traditional."
2. The biggest complainers critics of the uniforms are all of the older guys who, as you said, are nostalgic for the uniforms they fondly remember.
3. Russell. Nothing against them, but they DON'T have the cachet that Nike, UA or Adidas do.

I think the answer, however, is to embrace the Oregon mentality. If we are an Institution that prides ourselves on being modern and cutting edge, (we aren't in the boiler training business anymore), then we should adopt that mentality across the board. Let's be cutting edge. Let's take it to the limit. The reality is that recruits like it. Ultimately, our team will be more successful if the talented recruits are happier than if we merely satisfy the alumni base. (That being said, the alumni base can't be alienated, so have 1-2 throwback uni's a year)

Since we seem to be stuck with Russell for a while, I'd pressure them to go wild with the designs. If they successfully outfit GT with sharp, modern designs, it only helps their business as well.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bring your friends to a Tech game. Show them around campus. We can be the best ambassadors for the Yellow Jackets.

This is the best way. I brought a friend from church who had moved down from Ohio, was a big football guy and was looking for a local team to support. I took to the Kansas game and showed him the trophies and educated him about the Tech legacy, bought him a chili dog /onion ring at the Varsity and he was hooked..........This he and his son at Fan Day Saturday.

10418979_10152359509203163_873523409147124460_n.jpg