Show Yourself, Devoe-Hater

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You know who you are.

All last season in chat, some guy was telling anyone who'd listen how Devoe sucked.

We kept telling him Devoe was a stud, just needed seasoning.

Well, where are you now, phantom poster? I got some crow for ya. Served Cajun style with a side of red beans n rice.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
23.4ppg so far this season — not a fluke.

When is the last time we had a player average above 20 ppg? I honestly don’t know. Marbury was in the high teens. Do we have to go all the way back to Dennis Scott?

/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He is taking charge right now and I think (hope) that will change somewhat when Jose returns and Usher is available. The beauty of what we are seeing is his overall game is solid. Just look at last night's line. He has never been a great defender, but he's not a liability on that end.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
The NBA stole Okogie from us because of his defense and athleticism - two areas Devoe does not currently stand out. Hoping that the time required to improve those skills to League standards keeps him at Tech for 4 years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The NBA stole Okogie from us because of his defense and athleticism - two areas Devoe does not currently stand out. Hoping that the time required to improve those skills to League standards keeps him at Tech for 4 years.

I hope he stays 4 years but I really just want him to come back next year because it's shaping up to be a great team if he is there. It would hurt to lose him along with the big junior class, and almost guarantee a big step back, but can't complain about a guy playing too well.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He is taking charge right now and I think (hope) that will change somewhat when Jose returns and Usher is available. The beauty of what we are seeing is his overall game is solid. Just look at last night's line. He has never been a great defender, but he's not a liability on that end.

Except for the 6 Turnovers. He has to do a better job there, but I am okay if they are the result of him being aggressive.

As Pastner mentioned though, a couple of times, they were the result of him being a little flashy.

Love what he is doing though. He is developing that killer instinct that true scorers have within themselves.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Except for the 6 Turnovers. He has to do a better job there, but I am okay if they are the result of him being aggressive.

As Pastner mentioned though, a couple of times, they were the result of him being a little flashy.

Love what he is doing though. He is developing that killer instinct that true scorers have within themselves.

Small nitpick, but 2 of those turnovers were questionable "charges". And we all know the block/charge call is the worst call in cbb. Refs use it as a way to draw attention to themselves. It's always a "moment" when the charge is called on the home team. It's maddening.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Small nitpick, but 2 of those turnovers were questionable "charges". And we all know the block/charge call is the worst call in cbb. Refs use it as a way to draw attention to themselves. It's always a "moment" when the charge is called on the home team. It's maddening.
So true lol it's like an umpire's chance to make a scene on a strike 3 lol *Bangs hips with closed fists and slams that right hand forward with extreme exaggerated passion"

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

He was handling the ball a lot more last night than his normal role would require and is carrying a huge load with Jose out. I think the coaches understand that.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
On Devoe's 6 turnovers against Nebraska, as noted by KG, 2 were "questionable" offensive foul calls (both were BS, the 2nd one in particular was complete BS), and I think, if memory serves, 2 more were good passes that were dropped by teammates. Both of the drops were on fast breaks in the first half. He threw an alley oop (it was a good pass, not reckless or showboating) to #5 and the baby giraffe fumbled it out of bounds (I commend #5 for a very good game, other than a few of his typical "player control" issues). Then just 1 or 2 plays later on another fast break he faked a floater in the lane and threw a no-look pass to Moore that would have been a layup, but Moore wasn't expecting it and fumbled it away. On the one to Moore, I can't remember if we recovered the loose ball or if it resulted in a turnover.

So, although the stat line shows 6 turnovers, in my opinion, he only had 2 bad ones, 2 crap calls on the refs, and 2 on teammates not having their head in the game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So true lol it's like an umpire's chance to make a scene on a strike 3 lol *Bangs hips with closed fists and slams that right hand forward with extreme exaggerated passion"

What's even worse is when they get to call a block on the home team.

Then they get to blow the whistle 6-12 times until everybody in the place has eyes affixed on them.. Waiting with baited breath, the crowd anguishes to see what the 'star' is gonna decide to call.

Suddenly, the 'star' emerges from the scrum. Pounding both hips with his clinched fists. In a fervor matched only by the ancient gladiators of Rome grappling with wild exotic beasts.

The call ..... blocking foul ... on the home team. Egads!!! :eek:

Live look-in ...
Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He threw an alley oop (it was a good pass, not reckless or showboating) to #5 and the baby giraffe fumbled it out of bounds .

It wasn't a showboating pass but it was a very low pass for an ally oop. Moses should have just caught it anyways and just come down with it, but that pass needs to be higher.

Also, I think the second one resulted in freethrows for Moore if I'm thinking of the same play.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It wasn't a showboating pass but it was a very low pass for an ally oop. Moses should have just caught it anyways and just come down with it, but that pass needs to be higher.

Also, I think the second one resulted in freethrows for Moore if I'm thinking of the same play.

I think you are right on both accounts. So, only one of his turnovers resulted from those two sequences. I still think they both should have resulted in easy baskets if his teammates had made the easy play.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
not sure why, but the refs last night fell in love with the charge call. There was one that was a pretty obvious charge, followed by a couple that could've gone either way. The last one they called on Nebraska was laughable

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
not sure why, but the refs last night fell in love with the charge call. There was one that was a pretty obvious charge, followed by a couple that could've gone either way. The last one they called on Nebraska was laughable
From my seats, it looked like the first charge call on Devoe was a bad call, but the second one Devoe definitely initiated the contact (from my angle I could not tell if/how well the Nebraska player was set, but Devoe clearly initiated contact) .... What I will say is the refs last night were consistent on the charge call (if any doubt they called it a charge) - they called one on Nebraska late that I also thought was a horrible call (but in line with what they had called earlier).

In the end, all you can ask is the refs get (almost) all the obvious calls right, and be consistent on the closer/judgement calls like charge/block (same play twice, same call twice). The players need to adjust to how they are calling the game.