Should Winston Have Been Penalized/Ejected For Shoving an Official

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Winston pushed an official out of the way to get a fast-paced play off during their game against Boston College. I've heard that he should have been penalized, he should have been ejected, he was just caught up in the moment, his actions were "priceless" (per the announcers), the official shouldn't have been standing there, and other comments. There are people on here a lot smarter than me, so I just thought I would throw this out.....should he have been penalized and/or ejected? In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to the ESPN commentary on it. http://espn.go.com/college-football...tate-seminoles-say-contact-official-malicious

Animal02

Banned
My understanding is that the ref was in the wrong place.......so unless he purposely tried to injure him, it should be no different than running into one in the middle of a play......technically the ball was live without the ref standing over it .

Declinometer

Banned
Referee was the authority. JW, from his actions that I have seen on the sideline with his coaches, has no respect for authority. Should have been flag probably not suspended. However, if he had been flagged I believe his behavior would have escalated to a point of suspension.

I didn't see that when it happened, even though I was watching the game. But from what I have read, the ref was someplace he shouldn't have been and was impeding the play. I don't think Winston so much shoved him as gently prodded him, and I have no problem with that. Suppose Tech goes to a hurry up against the mutts, and a ref is blocking Justin out, what should HE do?

gtwin

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not a fan of the guy, but no way should he have been penalized for that. That "authority figure" should have his a$$ in the right place. Haters gonna hate!

Declinometer

Banned
I didn't see that when it happened, even though I was watching the game. But from what I have read, the ref was someplace he shouldn't have been and was impeding the play. I don't think Winston so much shoved him as gently prodded him, and I have no problem with that. Suppose Tech goes to a hurry up against the mutts, and a ref is blocking Justin out, what should HE do?

It was clear that the official did not want him to snap the ball because of substitution fairness rules. You don't use any force to supercede the wishes of those responsible for maintaining order on the field.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Ya'll want to explain more? From what I've read, ref was properly stopping a snap while o and d completed substitutions.

I think it's a question of how long those substitutions have to take. It is very possible for the defense to impede the flow of the game, and I am sure many have tried. I thought that was what a hurry up offense was designed for.....to more or less force the defense to get their players on the field and in position. Is there really a rule allowing them to take as long as they want to?

Animal02

Banned
Ya'll want to explain more? From what I've read, ref was properly stopping a snap while o and d completed substitutions.
My understanding of the situation is that when the ref wants to hold play....he stands over the ball (preventing the center from setting) The ref in this case was standing behind the center..and the center was set on the ball....i.e. the ball is live....if he wanted to hold play....he should he should have blown his whistle instead of grabbing the QB.

Declinometer

Banned
My understanding of the situation is that when the ref wants to hold play....he stands over the ball (preventing the center from setting) The ref in this case was standing behind the center..and the center was set on the ball....i.e. the ball is live....if he wanted to hold play....he should he should have blown his whistle instead of grabbing the QB.
You don't blow your whistle in that situation. Do you even watch football. Is there any doubt that he didn't want Winston to snap the ball? Winston knew it and you know it. You don't do what you want to do if the man responsible is telling you not to. If it's ok for Winston to do that where do you draw the line.

Declinometer

Banned
Winston has shown past practice of doing what ever the hell he wants regardless of rules and laws. Let's not forget him dressing out for Clemson when he was told not to. Remember that one? Not paying for food from a grocery store. Filling his cup with Coke without paying. He's a POS

Animal02

Banned
You don't blow your whistle in that situation. Do you even watch football. Is there any doubt that he didn't want Winston to snap the ball? Winston knew it and you know it. You don't do what you want to do if the man responsible is telling you not to. If it's ok for Winston to do that where do you draw the line.
You absolutely blow your whistle in that situation, just like you do when they stop play for a review, time out etc. The ref was out of position, the center was set, the ball was live. The ref ****** up.

Declinometer

Banned
You absolutely blow your whistle in that situation, just like you do when they stop play for a review, time out etc. The ref was out of position, the center was set, the ball was live. The ref ****** up.
It wasn't the ref it was the umpire. Are you telling me that you think the umpire wanted Winston, that POS, to snap the ball? Just answer that please.