Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner was never going to leave UGA’s staff before their playoff game was over. I don’t know why y’all got your panties in a bunch about it so much. Stop worrying so much about what UGA is doing and worry about what Tech is doing. We’re not even competitive with UGA right now. Not on the field, and not in recruiting. The last five games against them they’ve out scored us by 168 points, or an average of 33.6 per game. The last 5 recruiting classes they’ve outranked us for 226 spots, and an average of 44.6 per year. We aren’t even in the same ballpark as them. Then winning the natty is almost irrelevant to us. It’s not like they’re going to take anymore fans. Anybody who was going to root for them in the state is already rooting for them.

Year after year, coaches in the playoffs who have been hired by other schools continue to coach for their playoff team. Hell, Dan Lanning was hired by Oregon to be their head coach and he continued to be UGA’s DC through the tile run when Oregon opened up with UGA the next season.

If we had just hired Garrett Riley to be our head coach, would y’all be b*tching about him continuing to coach at TCU instead of being here and preparing? Stop worrying about wtf UGA is doing all the time. Right now what UGA does is about as relevant for us as what TCU does. Neither one of them matter a whole lot.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Faulkner was never going to leave UGA’s staff before their playoff game was over. I don’t know why y’all got your panties in a bunch about it so much. Stop worrying so much about what UGA is doing and worry about what Tech is doing. We’re not even competitive with UGA right now. Not on the field, and not in recruiting. The last five games against them they’ve out scored us by 168 points, or an average of 33.6 per game. The last 5 recruiting classes they’ve outranked us for 226 spots, and an average of 44.6 per year. We aren’t even in the same ballpark as them. Then winning the natty is almost irrelevant to us. It’s not like they’re going to take anymore fans. Anybody who was going to root for them in the state is already rooting for them.

Year after year, coaches in the playoffs who have been hired by other schools continue to coach for their playoff team. Hell, Dan Lanning was hired by Oregon to be their head coach and he continued to be UGA’s DC through the tile run when Oregon opened up with UGA the next season.

If we had just hired Garrett Riley to be our head coach, would y’all be b*tching about him continuing to coach at TCU instead of being here and preparing? Stop worrying about wtf UGA is doing all the time. Right now what UGA does is about as relevant for us as what TCU does. Neither one of them matter a whole lot.

But we didn’t hire a guy from TCU. We hired a guy from our rival. A rival in which, we don’t care if they are undefeated and we are winless, we would be happy with only beating them. Just because we aren’t competing with them, doesn’t mean we can’t want them to fail. This is a unique circumstance. So you can’t compare this hire with anybody else.

Does getting mad he is working there sound a little weird? Sure. But the idea of taking him away and hoping the mutts collapse, that should be normal

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
But we didn’t hire a guy from TCU. We hired a guy from our rival. A rival in which, we don’t care if they are undefeated and we are winless, we would be happy with only beating them. Just because we aren’t competing with them, doesn’t mean we can’t want them to fail. This is a unique circumstance. So you can’t compare this hire with anybody else.

Does getting mad he is working there sound a little weird? Sure. But the idea of taking him away and hoping the mutts collapse, that should be normal
Of course every Tech fan wants UGA to lose. But basing your entire strategy around what you want to happen with UGA is stupid, and a loser’s mentality. UGA doesn’t even think of Tech as a rival anymore. In the last 2 years they’ve beaten Alabama, Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State, and LSU on their quest for consecutive titles. Those are some of the biggest programs in the sport. Tech is just another date on the schedule for them. We cannot continue to make our entire personality as an athletics program “To Hell With Georgia” while they run away and leave us in the dust. We need to worry more about what’s going on at Georgia Tech than what’s going on at Georgia.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course every Tech fan wants UGA to lose. But basing your entire strategy around what you want to happen with UGA is stupid, and a loser’s mentality. UGA doesn’t even think of Tech as a rival anymore. In the last 2 years they’ve beaten Alabama, Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State, and LSU on their quest for consecutive titles. Those are some of the biggest programs in the sport. Tech is just another date on the schedule for them. We cannot continue to make our entire personality as an athletics program “To Hell With Georgia” while they run away and leave us in the dust. We need to worry more about what’s going on at Georgia Tech than what’s going on at Georgia.
I don’t think taking one guy is basing an entire strategy.
In this situation, we are talking about helping tech by getting a good coach and hurting uga by taking what seems to be a key piece. This isn’t being obsessed with Ugag, this is an opportunity that arose that could help us and hurt them. You take the opportunity to do that

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think taking one guy is basing an entire strategy.
In this situation, we are talking about helping tech by getting a good coach and hurting uga by taking what seems to be a key piece. This isn’t being obsessed with Ugag, this is an opportunity that arose that could help us and hurt them. You take the opportunity to do that
I assume Faulkner would’ve never taken the job if the stipulation was that he couldn’t finish the year with UGA. Not sure why that’s a hard concept to grasp. There was never an opportunity for us to “hurt” them. But there is an opportunity for us to help our own program by hiring a competent coach who is gaining invaluable experience with a winning program. Whether it is UGA, TCU, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, or whoever else.

The reason this whole “debate” got started was because Tech people were begging for Faulkner to leave early when that was probably never really in the cards anyway. Faulkner was recruiting for Tech, probably with the understanding between us and UGA that he was always going to return for game prep for the playoff games.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If the SEC goes to 9 games which is being proposed with the add of TX and OK, I question whether GA and GT continue to play. I am trying to think of other than history, what advantage it is to GT to play UGA each year. Yes it means more revenue for GT in the years UGA plays at Bobby Dodd. But reality is they have 90% of the sidewalk fans, get 90%+ of the recruits they want vs. GT. and basically treat us as their little brother. In the future of the domination of the SEC and Big 10's major advantage in revenue based on TV money, size of schools and donations (including NIL) and major difference in stadium capacities, I just don't see a realistic way for GT to be competitive on any kind of consistent basis with UGA. A rivalry should mean each side wins at 3 or 4 out of 10. Yes PJ got us there in the first 9 years. But I think the ground rules have changed dramatically and UGA is way better in the past 5 years. I am a long term GT alumni (47 years) but I just don't see the great value to play a team you can beat once every 10 years. We already have one long shot win since Clemson is in our conference. I know most will not agree but I would much rather play a schedule where we have one long shot opponent win versus two.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I assume Faulkner would’ve never taken the job if the stipulation was that he couldn’t finish the year with UGA. Not sure why that’s a hard concept to grasp. There was never an opportunity for us to “hurt” them. But there is an opportunity for us to help our own program by hiring a competent coach who is gaining invaluable experience with a winning program. Whether it is UGA, TCU, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, or whoever else.

The reason this whole “debate” got started was because Tech people were begging for Faulkner to leave early when that was probably never really in the cards anyway. Faulkner was recruiting for Tech, probably with the understanding between us and UGA that he was always going to return for game prep for the playoff games.
The debate got started because IIRC, Kirby said he would have to talk to Coach Key about Faulkner coaching in the playoff. I don;t think this was decided when he was hired. IIWII, I just have a hard time with the concept of Tech funding a UGA title.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The debate got started because IIRC, Kirby said he would have to talk to Coach Key about Faulkner coaching in the playoff. I don;t think this was decided when he was hired. IIWII, I just have a hard time with the concept of Tech funding a UGA title.
Tech isn’t funding a UGA title, lol. Buster Faulkner was employed by UGA for the 2022 football season. The 2022 season isn’t over yet. It’s really not a big deal. In no way is this hurting Tech’s program. And the reality is, who cares if it helps UGA? Them winning is not relevant to us. There is nothing negative that will happen to GT’s program if UGA wins. So why worry about it? My whole point is focus on what’s good for Tech. Not what’s good or bad for UGA. Who cares what they do?

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow

I’m not saying I don’t understand Faulkners point of view. It totally makes sense why he would want to compete for a championship. We are looking at it from a fans perspective. And for us, we want uga to lose every time they play. Coaches don’t necessarily have that understanding of hate unless they have deep ties to it like Key.

Fans are allowed to want our rivals to suck, and coaches are allowed to treat it like a business.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for agreeing to take a risk in the future.
I have no idea what you r so certian about the failures of Ark that makes him such a pariah.

Perhaps we can take a guy like D Mills who was a risk. Some how gt made it past that one. A better pick at roomate would be good idea.

My point I would like to see way fewer 3 years and done ol guys. They should stay at least 4 years and 5 if the take redshirt.

Whether I think we should take risks or not is completely irrelevant. You like Arik Gilbert. Why is he already looking for his fourth school and what are the details of his situation that make you so sure he's worth the risk? Convince me. I'm open to hearing information that could potentially change my mind. Of course this is all just a fun exercise since we're probably not a destination he has in mind. But again I could be very wrong about that and I'd be very happy to be proven completely wrong about the kid. Maybe he's the kind of kid that just needs to find the right spot and he'll thrive. Who knows.

As for taking risks in the future don't extrapolate my disinterest in a kid who has been at three schools in two years to mean I am not interested in taking risks on kids whenever the coaches feel they are worth it. Generally speaking I like it when coaches take risks here and there when they judge the reward is worth it. Sometimes it is worth it to shoot for the moon even if it doesn't pan. No risk, no reward, right? Every situation is different and mostly dependent on the kid himself and whether he fits the team.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Then you hire someone else, he ain't that special if he's just working as an analyst the past few years.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Then you hire someone else, he ain't that special if he's just working as an analyst the past few years.
So don’t hire a guy who’s ready for the job, who’s worked for the premier program in the country for 3 years, under one of the best coordinators in the country, who everyone he’s worked with speaks very highly of, and who Key trusts to run the offense. Just because he works at UGA?

Here folks, we have an example of someone who would rather see Georgia lose than Georgia Tech win. It’s just such an *** backwards way of thinking. In the 2015 CFP, Georgia had hired Kirby to be their HC while he was DC at Alabama. Alabama went on to win the national championship with Kirby continuing to work on their staff. Did Georgia want to see Alabama win a national championship that year? Hell no. But they did not base their decision for their future on whether or not their rival was going to win a championship in the present. We at Georgia Tech cannot continue to live in a world where Georgia losing is more enjoyable than Georgia Tech winning. You don’t have to like Faulkner working at UGA for their title run, but acting like it’s the end of the world, or even considering not hiring a guy fit for the job because he’s working for your rival is ridiculous. It’s childish and absolute little brother mentality.

JacketFan137

Banned
So don’t hire a guy who’s ready for the job, who’s worked for the premier program in the country for 3 years, under one of the best coordinators in the country, who everyone he’s worked with speaks very highly of, and who Key trusts to run the offense. Just because he works at UGA?

Here folks, we have an example of someone who would rather see Georgia lose than Georgia Tech win. It’s just such an *** backwards way of thinking. In the 2015 CFP, Georgia had hired Kirby to be their HC while he was DC at Alabama. Alabama went on to win the national championship with Kirby continuing to work on their staff. Did Georgia want to see Alabama win a national championship that year? Hell no. But they did not base their decision for their future on whether or not their rival was going to win a championship in the present. We at Georgia Tech cannot continue to live in a world where Georgia losing is more enjoyable than Georgia Tech winning. You don’t have to like Faulkner working at UGA for their title run, but acting like it’s the end of the world, or even considering not hiring a guy fit for the job because he’s working for your rival is ridiculous. It’s childish and absolute little brother mentality.
i think people have their mind up. these are the same complainers that haven’t stopped for well over a year and probably Wayyyyyyy longer. what our coaches are legally allowed to do is so limited at this point anyway. i don’t think the benefit of him being here is gonna be enough to make the difference in the overall outcome of our season and we have probably hired faulkner with the intention of him being around longer than this year anyway.

oh well not a whole lot else to discuss right now so we gotta have something to talk about

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
How so? We're in the dead period. And he's already been on the recruiting trail previous to that.
You beat me to the punch. I would be interested in what 33 has observed with regards to how and where our recruiting has suffered. He may know of something I’m not aware of.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow

This is quite the weird hill to die on and calling people bad fans. And you keep giving examples that are not the same as what is happening here. Georgia and Alabama are not rivals.

And I guess rivals means something different to you. Whenever Georgia is playing, a rival should want them to embarrass themselves. That does not take away from wanting tech to be the best. You don’t have to follow Georgia’s every move to want to fall

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Lmao. Tech is not helping UGA win a national championship. We hired a coach for next season who is on their staff this season. It’s a common occurrence. No matter how you feel about UGA it’s really not a big deal.
Yes we are.

The fact that you think UGA and Bama were rivals in 2015 shows you don't know what you are talking about. They played 3 games total in the 7 years prior. From 1978 to 2015 they played a total of 12 games. 12 games in 37 years is not a rival.