Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
So, is it just me, or, isn't having BF be the go-between for the dwag OC and QB, I don't know, literally him COACHING the qb?

edit to add - isn't having Smart say that BF being an important mediator between his OC and starting QB openly admitting they're directly breaking the rules?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner is already in our employ. He would only continue to work for Ugag if Brent agreed to it, and Brent would only agree to it if there's something in it for Tech.
I can only speak for myself, but if I received my first coordinator opportunity, I'd be all in. Thank yous to all involved and on the road for my new employer. My new boss might be willing to extend the courtesy, but I wouldn't cash that chit.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I can only speak for myself, but if I received my first coordinator opportunity, I'd be all in. Thank yous to all involved and on the road for my new employer. My new boss might be willing to extend the courtesy, but I wouldn't cash that chit.
It isn't up to him, anyhow. It's up to his new boss. And his boss won't do it unless he feels it benefits Tech in some way.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So, is it just me, or, isn't having BF be the go-between for the dwag OC and QB, I don't know, literally him COACHING the qb?

edit to add - isn't having Smart say that BF being an important mediator between his OC and starting QB openly admitting they're directly breaking the rules?
This is what I have been trying to get information on. He also was reported to have gone on a recruiting visit to see Arch Manning, which also isn't allowed.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what I have been trying to get information on. He also was reported to have gone on a recruiting visit to see Arch Manning, which also isn't allowed.
I am legitimately curious. Part of me thinks no way they’re that stupid to openly talk about something that is an NCAA violation? I’d also hate to lose our newly acquired OC. But I’d be THRILLED to see the dwags championship stripped as a result. Very conflicted about this.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
It’s pretty common for coaches who are hired from playoff teams to finish the season with their previous team. Kirby himself did it, being the DC for Alabama in the national championship game in 2015 after being hired as UGA’s HC. The only reason this is awkward is because it’s arch rivals, but this is pretty common stuff. I don’t really have strong feelings either way.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s pretty common for coaches who are hired from playoff teams to finish the season with their previous team. Kirby himself did it, being the DC for Alabama in the national championship game in 2015 after being hired as UGA’s HC. The only reason this is awkward is because it’s arch rivals, but this is pretty common stuff. I don’t really have strong feelings either way.
I don't think people are questioning if he was to stay on with that other team through the playoffs. The issue is that he has already left there and is currently employed at Tech therefore all of his efforts should be focused on Tech.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Did Kirby actually start working at Ugag prior to leaving Bama or did he wait until after the bowl game to start working at Ugag? Generally, you do not work at two programs at the same time. Faulkner has already started working at Tech.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did Kirby actually start working at Ugag prior to leaving Bama or did he wait until after the bowl game to start working at Ugag? Generally, you do not work at two programs at the same time. Faulkner has already started working at Tech.
We and he believe the work at GT that he agreed to do is important enough to pay him close to a million dollars to do as well as his ability permits. None of that million is supposed to make our primary rival better at what they do.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
If you do not think that Kirby was out recruiting for Georgia during that time then you are very naïve. Dan Lanning was doing the exact same thing for Oregon last year. It happens all the time...You guys need to give it a rest.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I talked with a former classmate who is heavily tied in with the uga football program. His son is one of the student assistants on the sidelines. Apparently Monken is, how shall we say this, not very good with his interpersonal skills. Enough so that Faulkner has been the go between not just for Bennett, but for others as well. Kirby is really worried that it might blow up in his face on the national stage without that tried and true intermediary in place.
Good, I hope it does. **** uga 24/7/365.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Doing it now, while he's been hired as our OC would be of greater benefit recruiting-wise, and (just guessing) it might even enhance our opportunity to snag one or more of their transfers if he lingers.
Also, there's the money aspect.
So, if there's something in it for us, the question for me boils down to whether one loves Tech more than one hates the mutts.

I hate uGA as much as the next Tech fan. But in this case, I would not have an issue with him being in the box because it's uGA.

I WOULD have an issue with him being in the box because they're a competitor, and because he's already been on the recruiting trail for us (thus, his employment has already started). Some thoughts on some of the posts I've seen on this thread...

• If it means something to recruits that he was an analyst on a national championship team, great! He was the analyst when uGA won it in 2021. And he was the analyst for the entire season when they (hopefully) choke and lose it in the semifinals in 2022. Much like TFGCGC was the DC at Mississippi State when we beat the snot out of them in the Orange Bowl (only he wasn't, because he'd already left for Florida and wasn't coaching them that week).

• As an analyst, you do more than just sit in the box and translate. You do a lot of scouting and research leading up to the game itself. It's not just "show up and improvise." So this would pull him away from recruiting for more than just a day or two.

• I think the balance question comes down to which weighs more - the value of our new OC having been an analyst in the press box a second time for a uGA national championship team, or the weight of recognition and recruiting boost uGA will see from winning a second national championship in a row.

• Yes, coaches coach bowl games after committing to new roles all the time. That's usually part of the contract they agree to. This scenario is one thing if you're Scott Frost, moving from UCF to Nebraska, and want to coach the team in one more bowl game. It's another thing if you're helping your new employer's primary in-state rival go through 2 bowl games that are late in the season, and win a national championship - thus helping them with future recruiting and recognition, to the detriment of Tech.

I agree with the analogy of someone from Coca-Cola going to work for Pepsi. Let's say it's the head of marketing. And it's 1-2 months before the Super Bowl, when campaigns are beginning to take shape. If I'm Pepsi, I sure as hell wouldn't want my new CMO helping my biggest rival get more eyeballs. No matter how many Clio awards their Super Bowl commercial may win for Coke's (now former) CMO - now that they're on payroll, it's now more important for them to get in the office and start producing amazing campaign spots for their new boss, not their old one.

If it were Clemson, or UNC, or Pitt, or any team we play and recruit against each year, I'd say the same thing.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner is already in our employ. He would only continue to work for Ugag if Brent agreed to it, and Brent would only agree to it if there's something in it for Tech.
There is nothing uga could offer that would be of enough value to be worth helping the mutts. I want their stadium burned to the ground, and their program disbanded. I want to beat them so badly their families are embarrassed to be associated and disown their children.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Doing it now, while he's been hired as our OC would be of greater benefit recruiting-wise, and (just guessing) it might even enhance our opportunity to snag one or more of their transfers if he lingers.
Also, there's the money aspect.
So, if there's something in it for us, the question for me boils down to whether one loves Tech more than one hates the mutts.
This is all delusional wishful thinking, and its still not beneficial enough to Tech to consider. I don't care if uga offers to pay for all our current staff's salaries for the next ten years, DO NOT HELP THE MUTTS!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If you do not think that Kirby was out recruiting for Georgia during that time then you are very naïve. Dan Lanning was doing the exact same thing for Oregon last year. It happens all the time...You guys need to give it a rest.

I know of some people who have called their wife fat, but that does not make it the right thing to do.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I am legitimately curious. Part of me thinks no way they’re that stupid to openly talk about something that is an NCAA violation? I’d also hate to lose our newly acquired OC. But I’d be THRILLED to see the dwags championship stripped as a result. Very conflicted about this.
I would gladly give up an OC that hasn't coached a minute for us to strip ugag of a natty, are you serious??

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

Last edited: