Should I of took the bet?

Jmonty71

Banned
A co-worker... Who happens to be a Clemson grad... Gave me a bet, to take. Up for win, is lunch.. But, more than that, pride.... He is taking Clemson and 21 points. Do you think that is a smart bet? I, in my support, of course took it. Now... I am wondering how smart, the bet was.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
That's a fair bet. During the CPJ era, GT has lost to Clemson by 21 or more points only once in 2013 (score was 55-31). There have been some that have come close (26-7 in 2016 and 43-24 in 2015), but generally the limited possessions mean we do not get blown out much.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
21 might be dead on. I'm hoping for at least a 10 point game, but with that defensive line they have it might be a 14-21 point game. I dont see it being worse

Our Oline is gonna give that deservedly vaunted Dline hell. As good as that Dline is they won’t shut us down again this year. Gonna be a war in those trenches.

I’m more worried about our D and special teams against them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our Oline is gonna give that deservedly vaunted Dline hell. As good as that Dline is they won’t shut us down again this year. Gonna be a war in those trenches.

I’m more worried about our D and special teams against them.
Parker commented in a recent interview that he plans on dominating his man this year. I hope his line mates share his confidence!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that's definitely a very fair bet. Dabo isn't one to run up the score, and we might score late to make it seem better than it is. 21 pt win is a nicely set over/under.

In terms of the game itself, I'll be surprised if we move ball at all except in random fits and starts. Maybe if this game was late October after the offense had a chance to really gel? We might could grind out a really low production game then. But this early it will just look like it has for the last several years: blown up before it gets started. I want to buy into our line being older and better, but I don't see a Shaq Mason on our line anywhere (a guy who would start and become a staple of an NFL offensive line).

Besides that we don't have a JT to throw, and if we did we don't have a Smelter or Waller with a knack for getting separation or going up and fighting for a contested ball.

The defense will look bad because they're gonna be on the field a lot, looking tired due to all of the 3 and outs. I'm not a sky-is-falling kind of guy, but against Clemson and their recruiting and Venables' coaching this is just reality.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the past their lb and safeties could help in middle and still beat us to edge. Hope Coach can get some misdirection, pull guards / tackles and we hit a couple of big plays.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
They're practically returning everyone from the past two years. A Dline that has probably 3-4 first round draft picks. On the bright side, I don't think our offense could be much worse than it has been against them.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a fair bet. During the CPJ era, GT has lost to Clemson by 21 or more points only once in 2013 (score was 55-31). There have been some that have come close (26-7 in 2016 and 43-24 in 2015), but generally the limited possessions mean we do not get blown out much.
If I recall correctly, 2013 was not as bad as the score, but 2016 was worse than the score. I’m pretty sure 2016 was by far the most CPJs offense has been shut down by anyone.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I think that's definitely a very fair bet. Dabo isn't one to run up the score, and we might score late to make it seem better than it is. 21 pt win is a nicely set over/under.

This.

I typically don't bet on sports, but there's no way this bet doesn't have an expected value in your favor.

/

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
A co-worker... Who happens to be a Clemson grad... Gave me a bet, to take. Up for win, is lunch.. But, more than that, pride.... He is taking Clemson and 21 points. Do you think that is a smart bet? I, in my support, of course took it. Now... I am wondering how smart, the bet was.
Most definitely take that.

Deleted member 2897

This is a major reason to take the bet. Here are the reasons I would take the bet:
1) Our run first offense (and Clemson's too if Kelly is QB) limits possessions and puts a ceiling on the score.
2) Dabo isn't one to run the score up.
3) In the last few years we've had some of the most inept performances I've ever seen from our team, and they still didn't beat us by 21 points.
4) Its a home game for Georgia Tech.
5) The odds of it being another torrential downpour should be small.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is a major reason to take the bet. Here are the reasons I would take the bet:
1) Our run first offense (and Clemson's too if Kelly is QB) limits possessions and puts a ceiling on the score.
2) Dabo isn't one to run the score up.
3) In the last few years we've had some of the most inept performances I've ever seen from our team, and they still didn't beat us by 21 points.
4) Its a home game for Georgia Tech.
5) The odds of it being another torrential downpour should be small.

Why do so many keep trying to jinx us onnthe weather? Our luck is bad enough already :sneaky: