Should CPJ be the coach in 2014?

Should Paul Johnson be the GT coach in 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
I just don't see Tech ever being a school that can recruit that kind of talent again (on offense). I am talking about 4 stars with possible chance of 5 star athletes. Example: I don't ever seeing a possible chance of a real good QB coming in and starting as a freshman (under CPJ's system). There is just too much of a learning curve. Therefore, 4 or 5 star QB's will probably never commit here under CPJ's tenure unless they grew up Tech fans their whole life. They may be a little hesitant that they won't be great at running the option because their strengths are elsewhere. Again, I hope my logic is flawed and I am wrong but I just don't see it.

Two items here:
1. "a real good QB coming in and starting as a freshman": UNC got a 4* #15 QB (trubisky) in 2013 class knowing he'll be facing a 3 year senior starter (renner) and a two year backup junior (marquise) as competition. we also have a 4* #11 QB (henderson) coming in 2014 knowing he'll be facing a senior starter (marquise) and a RS frosh backup (trubisky). i don't think most HS QB recruits expect to play their true freshman year.
2. "they may be a little hesitant that they won't be great at running the option because their strenghs are elsewhere": there are plenty of highly touted dual threat QBs who run a ton of option in HS (trubisky was one). it may not be as sophisticated as what PJ runs at GT but i'd think that seeing the 49ers, seahawks, redskins, eagles, etc. use a lot of read option will make GT (especially with the diamond formation) a very credible destination to a highly touted dual threat QB.

ToddM

I agree with both statements Heeled Soul but that should have always been true for Techs defense.

I think the math requirement has to be at play in this entire Tech recruiting thing. If you are a stud and can walk into a program full of 3 stars, and therefore look twice as good as you really are, why wouldn't you ? It has to be non football related

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Here's a interesting little tidbit for all to review and think about when it comes to our football program as well as getting top, academically ready student athletes. There 36 undergraduate degree programs at Georgia Tech, 65 undergraduate degree programs at Notre Dame, 118 undergraduate degree programs at Stanford, 68 undergraduate degree programs at Vanderbilt and 97 undergraduate degree programs at Northwestern. These numbers put a little light on recruiting at Tech versus the schools that are constantly talked about when it comes to recruiting at "Academic" schools.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad you chimed in. I graduated from Tech but I couldn't figure out how to really explain through the reasons why the cirricu, ciricu, ... classes are tougher. The bolded portions are the most salient points for me. You're being kind when you say these introductory classes are a "bit" harder. They're definitely weed-out classes. I was lucky that I had an actual teacher for 1501/1502 and not some guy that was just stuck doing it.

Unfortunately my intro-Chemistry teacher was Dr. Kim who mumbled in "english" the whole time. That did not end well for me.

Couldn't agree more. I don't want to make this a "back in my day we walked 15 miles in the snow uphill both ways" discussion but GT is just plain harder than other schools. I graduated with a degree in BME from the #2 school in the nation (GT) with a horrible GPA before BME got all of their own classes for stuff and became "easier". Through various work connections and retaking a bunch of classes at a community college I was able to get into Johns Hopkins BME (#1 in the nation) for my masters degree. The Math class I'm taking I would call Diff Eq 2 and there are about 10 others in the class representing Cal Tech, Stanford, a couple of VPI guys, MIT, and a couple of other schools - all engineers. In this class the MIT guy and I were the only 2 in the class who had a clue what a Fourier transform was before the class and the MIT guy was a EE so he doesn't really count because that's kind of what they do. Other than the 2 of us the others had very little knowledge of signal processing and Matlab other than the fact that it is just a fancy calculator (most of us know it's way more than that.) My point here is those schools are good schools, no question. The guys got into JHU so not dumb - except for maybe me. So what happened? I'm guessing they weren't thrown into the deep end of a shark tank of knowledge and were only given what they could handle. Meanwhile we were given the proverbial middle finger, told to deal with it while GT sent half of our friends to other schools. Wouldn't trade it for the world though... where's the rest of the kool-aid?

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes CPJ should be the coach for 2014, 2015, and every year after that. The big knock on him was his inability to recruit. A new AD came in, he doubled his recruiting staff and surprise, now he is able to recruit. I think his offense is a great fit for tech because he doesn't need the top recruiting class to execute it.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes CPJ should be the coach for 2014, 2015, and every year after that. The big knock on him was his inability to recruit. A new AD came in, he doubled his recruiting staff and surprise, now he is able to recruit. I think his offense is a great fit for tech because he doesn't need the top recruiting class to execute it.

I mean I'm sure that helped and all... But I'm guessing it has just taken a while to figure it out. Tech isn't the easiest school to sell.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Couldn't agree more. I don't want to make this a "back in my day we walked 15 miles in the snow uphill both ways" discussion but GT is just plain harder than other schools. I graduated with a degree in BME from the #2 school in the nation (GT) with a horrible GPA before BME got all of their own classes for stuff and became "easier". Through various work connections and retaking a bunch of classes at a community college I was able to get into Johns Hopkins BME (#1 in the nation) for my masters degree. The Math class I'm taking I would call Diff Eq 2 and there are about 10 others in the class representing Cal Tech, Stanford, a couple of VPI guys, MIT, and a couple of other schools - all engineers. In this class the MIT guy and I were the only 2 in the class who had a clue what a Fourier transform was before the class and the MIT guy was a EE so he doesn't really count because that's kind of what they do. Other than the 2 of us the others had very little knowledge of signal processing and Matlab other than the fact that it is just a fancy calculator (most of us know it's way more than that.) My point here is those schools are good schools, no question. The guys got into JHU so not dumb - except for maybe me. So what happened? I'm guessing they weren't thrown into the deep end of a shark tank of knowledge and were only given what they could handle. Meanwhile we were given the proverbial middle finger, told to deal with it while GT sent half of our friends to other schools. Wouldn't trade it for the world though... where's the rest of the kool-aid?
Yep. At work, I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots... All non-GT engineers. I can't count the number of times I had to explain that their idea is terrible using terms like "Violates First Law of Thermodynamics". Most of my co-workers barely understand basic physics.

I think I've finally stopped the idea of installing a turbine downstream of a pump and feeding the turbine's generated electricity back into the pump. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep. At work, I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots... All non-GT engineers. I can't count the number of times I had to explain that their idea is terrible using terms like "Violates First Law of Thermodynamics". Most of my co-workers barely understand basic physics.

I think I've finally stopped the idea of installing a turbine downstream of a pump and feeding the turbine's generated electricity back into the pump. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Sounds like Bechtel...

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
obviously we need one of these confidence votes after every single game, right?

Or maybe this thread shouldn't have happened until we see the whole season.
Yea, I thought about closing it.

But... I swear "No" was > 20% last time I checked (Friday?). Now it's at 19.8%.