Should CPJ be the coach in 2014?

Should Paul Johnson be the GT coach in 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I am pulling for PJ,but if he is gone. I am for KW. Folks, we do not have the talent! Not since that class with Dwyer. YOU HAVE TO HAVE MORE 4 STARS! Not meaning to yell, but that is the case! This present class that we are working on is solid. But it is another 6-7 wins. You cannot beat the factories with 3 star players. It is as simple as 1,2,3. You must have in a 22 commitment class at least 5 four star recruits. And a couple of those need to be high 4 stars. I do not believe PJ can recruit that higher rated class. Whether it be him or the blasted pioused hill.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, is Patterson unrealistic? He's done a great job at TCU but wouldn't making the move to a more visible conference be appealing to him? He knows what it's like to try and recruit in an area where everybody comes to recruit.

He would not leave TCU for GT.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
What we have is say for instance: on 11 0n 11. Our side has 11- 3 stars going against a true factory of say 2-5stars, 4- 4stars, and 2 3 stars. whats going to happen? These high rated players were offered very early in the process by a LOT of factory teams. Our 3 stars by maybe 3 0r 4 factories at the most. Now i'm talking about perennial top 25 teams year in and year out. The only way to beat those top teams is to OUT scheme them. Per the diamon, pistol, and to. And then it is VERY hard to coach up that many of ours compared to those kind of programs. I do believe that KW with his nfl experience could attract the kind of recruits to be competitive. Man I would love it. But as long as Pj is here I will pull for him, and not against just so we could move on. Just my 2 cents, which is about all I got.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Raheem Morris
I know but Tampa Bay has proven to be a cluster ________ .
He was young and energetic.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
So his record doesn't matter? It is year 6 and there is no excuses to be had anymore. By the way CPJ was the one who hired Groh and Wommack.

I am not pulling against GT or CPJ..I would never do that...But losing to VT, Miami, UGA for the last four years is not good to me. I think GT can and should be better than that.

I am hoping we turn it around and win out...But our recent performance is not what it should be.

If you're referring to Gailey doing well against those teams, also including Clemson, CPJ would have as good or a better record against those teams if they were as "good" as they were then.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
For the people that voted you want to see what happens the rest of the year...what needs to happen for you want us to keep CPJ?

personally anything below 8-4 is bad to me...BYU is going to be a tough one on the road next week though.

Question: Did you think we had the players to have 9+ wins this year but would be hampered by CPJ or did you think we would have 9+ wins due to coaching in spite of our talent? Pick one or the other.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Sewak's lucky he's CPJ's pal.

Looks like Dan Mullen will be available. I dont like him but he used to be a crowd favorite.

Totally unrealistic, but man it'd be nice to pull Shaw from Stanford. Never happen tho.
Mullen should get a call as OC. Not from us.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson= Dead coach, coaching...

He will be gone after next year, we are a middle of the road team with a divided fan base. Tech has a history of holding on to their coaches a year or two, too long but I think Bobinsky (sp?) will pull the trigger sooner. From all the interviews I have seen on him, he seems like a guy who knows what he is doing and is very business oriented. He has a great history of basketball hires but nothing on football.

Johnson will probably last another year, I say probably because the buy-out is pretty big, however if we tank and get destroyed by Georgia again, I think there will be enough momentum with the Old guard to help raise and defer the cost, that CPJ might get the can at the end of this year.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we should Definitely have CPJ for 2014. A lot of reasons:
- contract still very large
- end of 14 a natural evaluation point with only two years left on contact at that point (either extend or fire after 14)
- I would like to see how this staff does without all these seniors in 2014.
- bringing in a good class.
- I would like to see another year of Vad with smelter and waller.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been a CPJ fann also but one of my rules for success in D1 football is the head coach should not be a coordinator also. The job is tough enough.
Recruitng is job one. Hiring and firing coordinators is job 1B. Alumni relations is job 2. Academic attention is job 3. Community relations is 4. How is he doing.
After beating UGA in 2008 I gave him a pass but now I say he needs to become a head coach. If he won't he makes the decision.
By the way if the diamond is working why not stay with it.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
We have a young quarterback new defensive coordinator I really didn't expect much this year. I really think the next 3 to 4 years with Vad and Thomas one will pull away with the starting job and be better than anyone we have had. CTR is coaching players recruited for a different system. Looking at the players committed already this year I think we have a lot to look forward to. But going back to CPJ the play calling has alwayas been crazy its just when bit works nobody says anything.

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan
I think what makes me upset the most is that most of these guys have no chance for the NFL. Golden and Jemea are the only two I see with a real chance right now. Smelter maybe if he keeps playing well. Sims is a guy I think that could be very good if he got the ball in pro-style but he will never get that opportunity. Vad Lee has a good arm. If he had the coaching to learn the mechanics of the position, I think he could be pretty darn good and at least maybe have a shot to join an NFL team. Can't tell you how many times I see Vad Lee stepping away from the receiver while he throws. It just looks awkward. Now maybe it's because he is nervous about getting hit (rightfully so given that our O-line is playing horrible), but good coaching would instill confidence and calmness in him. Good QBs can't be afraid to get hit. Another thing I can't stand is what happened to 3 steps back, one step forward approach when the ball is hiked? Now we do this weird motion where Vad Lee is faced towards his blindside for a second or two then twists around to throw? What is the sole purpose? If it's to look at his blindside then what happens if a guy comes from the other side? Either way it's stupid. It just wastes time.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The general consensus appears to be Johnson is not doing an adequate job and recruiting is the main problem.

If that is correct it would seem a super recruiter is the answer if a coaching change is made. Dabo is a super recruiter, but I am not sure he could recruit at GT, Playground Design is not a major at GT. Mullen has proved he cannot recruit at a factory. Whisenhunt is a total unknown re recruiting.

Rivals has GT as the 7th best ACC recruiting class to date. That translates into 3rd place in the Coastal Division. Which is about where GT has been the last 40+ years.

There are no easy answers.