Should CPJ be the coach in 2014?

Should Paul Johnson be the GT coach in 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to see where everyone is at.
I didn't think Chan should have been fired and I don't think Paul should be fired. Paul is finally getting his players in and coached up, recruiting is getting better. We fire Paul and it will take the new coach two or three years to get his players in and get a recruiting system in place. I still think there is hope for this season and next season as long as Paul stays.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"I also think we cannot possibly overstate how important it is that the next HC be a Tech alum."

Once upon a time Tech did just that, turned down Steve Spurrier and hired Tech alum Bill Curry. What did GT get out of that?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
One other factor that hasn't been brought up. In light of Tech having one of its best recruiting classes with the '14 class what happens to recruiting if CPJ is let go?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tech can pay a top flight coach but the other issues are going to remain. When James Franklin came to Vandy he was faced with similar issues but he has one great advantage in that Vandy is University as opposed to a Technical Institute. Regardless of what others may say this is a huge advantage to other schools.

As to CPJ's buyout it is not the hurdle others would like for you to believe. After all, Tech found a way to run Hewitt off and pay that onerous buyout.

Math is a killer... even when taken "off campus" for GT athletes.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I'm really pulling for CPJ. I would like for the offense we run to be more dynamic, but we're not competing for the same players as the factories go after which is a good thing. I get tired of hearin ugag fans sayin, "y'all ain't never gonna do anything until y'all get rid of that high school offense". We can't run a pro-style with the competition we have around us. We will in most cases get sloppy seconds and thirds to the SEC and Clemson and FSU. So we have to stay with a coach who has a unique offense. IMO

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
People jumping off so soon. I get that everyone is upset, but I want to see what Johnson can do with two more years. Tech has a recruiting problem and it has less to do with Johnson than people think.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
For the people that voted you want to see what happens the rest of the year...what needs to happen for you want us to keep CPJ?

personally anything below 8-4 is bad to me...BYU is going to be a tough one on the road next week though.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
People jumping off so soon. I get that everyone is upset, but I want to see what Johnson can do with two more years. Tech has a recruiting problem and it has less to do with Johnson than people think.
We do need to add some programs for athletes, we will never compete consistently with the curriculum being a red flag for recruits. We already have too much workin against us as it is.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would take Ken Whisenhunt..I think CPJ can get us there but I dont think he will.

He won't fire a terrible OL coach in CMS. He isn't recruiting well enough although we are getting some better support there now.

gtdrew

Banned
Coach Sewak's continued employment is as searing an indictment on CPJ as anything he's done on the field, and I know SEVERAL boosters have been put off by Sewak's brusque nature. He hasn't made in friends in the luxury suites, and his on the field and recruting contributions aren't nearly enough to justify his job...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sewak's lucky he's CPJ's pal.

Looks like Dan Mullen will be available. I dont like him but he used to be a crowd favorite.

Totally unrealistic, but man it'd be nice to pull Shaw from Stanford. Never happen tho.

ToddM

I am frustrated as hell. The reason is that I really think this team is getting better via depth and talent but when will it show up ?

I like CPJ in his football attitude, kinda of screw you thing. but I am watching his anger on the sidelines during the games and I have to admit I wonder how it looks to a recruit and I wonder how the kids will respond to that. I don't know the mindset that Lee and the others have but anytime that I was totally confused and got screamed at it just made it worse.

Now it seems CPJ is very competitive as his post game comments seem more realistic than his in game anger but I am starting to wonder if his competitive edge might result in a show of extreme frustration by Byerly getting a chance. If so CPJ will be putting his own frustrations on public display and his control of the team will be slipping away.

This question of should he stay or should he go may be answered by CPJ himself.

Should he go, by any process, I say Whisenhunt